A very blessed day 11-24-2015!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A very blessed day 11-24-2015!!!!

I took the kids hunting for their first real hunts. We have sat in blinds before and watched deer come and go. My daughter is 10 and my son is 6. This year we are on a new lease where the kids can hunt.
    Every trip I've made the last 9 months filling feeders and working new bow sets and moving blinds etc... They have been there for them all. No hunting no shooting just work and they love to shoot and will sit at the range all day and close it down! Very good shots! all Boring stuff for a kid!
    They never gripped or complained and had a great time in doing so!
    Fast forward to 4 days ago and we go on our first real hunt together. Camo, face paint, scent spray, the works (you don't have to to hunt buts it's cool with the kids) we blanked out for 3 straight morning and evening sessions. The last day they are worn out and tired and discouraged at this point. They don't want to get up early and go.
    So I decide to sit in a blind that I moved off a fence line and brought to the house near the water pond on the 3rd day. .
    We were going to set this up elsewhere In a couple of weeks when I had adult help lol. I checked the card at the water pond that's about 50 yards from the house and saw the 'big six' or 'floppy ear' that I have been hunting the last month with no luck or sighting me other than tc pics.

We had seen this deer on the opposite side of the property all year long.

I walk out 20 yards from the house and crawl in the platform popup with bow in hand. Nothing else as I am close to the house. Thinking I won't need much with the luck we have had. I wait it out thru the hour or so of darkness until the sun peeks out.
    Pond is to my right in the picture above. As daylight hits I get ready and grab my bow with little hope. Being so close to the house and jumped in a blind I tucked out of the way against a fence with no intentions of hunting it. At 8:20 he strolls in out of no where. Stopping at a handful of corn thrown out 20-30 yards from the blind. Bad call!!! First on the hoof sighting and the last!!

At this point the kids have risen and are rejuvenated and ready to hunt.
    So we decide to stay and put in one more evening hunt. My daughter says she wants a deer. So we get loaded up at in the blind at 4 and wait and start our wait for the feeder to go off at 5.
    We have a doe and a single horn nub spike come in. I tell My daughter it's time and get ready. She looks me in the eyes and says I don't want to do this. I'm too nervous!! I tell her that she is a great shot and she can do this. Not happening, she wasn't having any part of this. My daughter says, let's just go daddy! My son stands up and says....hey what about me?!?!!? I ask him if he wants to shoot and he shakes his head yes. No hesitation and no nerves and without a doubt was ready. We get him set up and it's 4:58. I'm thinking the feeder is about to go off. Waiting in a clear broadside shot and the feeders go off and the deer scatter!!! Gone just like that! Luck had sailed again on us!!
    They want to leave as they are discouraged again. I said wait they will come back. 5 mins later those two and a couple more roll in. At 97 yards stands the spike buck that needs to go away and be table scraps for the family. My 6 year old gets behind the gun. I asked him...where do you shoot him and when?
    He replies swiftly, behind the shoulder and in the lungs when he turns sideways. So we wait and about 30 secs later he present a the shot. I tell him to go when he is ready. Takes aim and pulls the trigger and drops him dead in his tracks!!! He turns and says, daddy I hit him right where you said and he's dead, let's go let's go!! I explain we have to wait to make sure he is dead and make sure he doesn't run off. He turns to tell me, my legs are wobbly daddy!!! I reply, yea I know mine were too this morning!! Welcome to the club!!

Get him loaded up and back to camp and ask him about his experience. Here's what he had to say
    Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Upstaged by my 6 year old!!! I'll take it everyday all day!!!
    Thanks for your time and sorry for the long read and all the pics!!
    (I like picture books) [emoji12]

Super cool!
    Congrats to you all!!!

Comment

Awesome!
      Congrats!

Comment

Really enjoyed the read. A better time couldn't be had! Congrats to all.

Comment

Thanks fellas!!! It was by far the most exciting day of hunting I've ever had!

Comment

That is a great write up.

Congrats on the trophy's, and the memories.

Comment

Awesome story! The kids are what it is all about. Congrats on being a great Dad and congrats on the 6 also! Sure is a big one. Good story and pics. Those smiles say it all.

Comment

Congrats to both of you

Comment

Awesome story!! You sir are doing it right, keep up the good work!!

Comment

Great story.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                      Awesome story! The kids are what it is all about. Congrats on being a great Dad and congrats on the 6 also! Sure is a big one. Good story and pics. Those smiles say it all.

Thanks Tony!
                      Being a dad is the only thing for me, the rest is just gravy!!

Comment

Originally posted by jp77 View Post
                        Awesome story!! You sir are doing it right, keep up the good work!!

Thank you sir for the kind words!!
                        And Thanks everyone that took the time to go on our journey

Comment

Congratulations! Great hunting stories. And kudos to the young lady for knowing whether it was right for her or not that day. I predict success for her in the future.

Comment

Great deer little man. I'm sure his sister will get it done this season. Congrats to you and the kids on a great hunt.

Comment

I really enjoyed that read. Congrats on the successful hunts!

Comment

Working...
                              X