Poor Man’s Food Plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor Man’s Food Plot

13 acres isn’t much to work with but there are deer passing through. The land is half heavy wooded, some open areas with sparse mature trees and and a small creek running through. Right now most of the grass had died from 10 weeks without rain. Just some crappy weeds and some sparse Johnson grass left.

We had 8” of rain in a day a week ago. So I’m a bit late to the party but... We have a decent chance for rain each day the next week plus.

So today I broadcast 200# of seed oats and 5# of beets on top of the ground in the open areas. Probably 2-3 acres. No soil prep, no soil test, no weed kill off. Just spread it out.

The seed oats were $10/40# bag. Beets were $3.50/lb.

Ive also got 10# of daikon rashishes coming to spread out a bit later this month. I’m going to seed them mostly where our garden will be and then randomly through the open areas. $3.5/lb cost.

I am hoping and wishing for the best without being overly confident. Just giving the deer some food and maybe a reason to travel through more often or stay closer.

I’ve only seen does and fawns, and pigs so far crossing through but hope their might be some antlers later on.

I’ll keep this updated as I can and maybe this method could help someone in a similar situation.

Get a before pic today. And I’d be interest to see weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly photos.

Comment

Hopefully it turns out well for you. Some of my best hunting memories was hunting and preeping just like you explained. Take us along with you on this journey.

I now have all the modern day tools, tractors etc. but the fire isn’t there like it was but I do know this is a personal issue.

Comment

You are a month out from planting time

Comment

That’s pretty early for oats... and army worms are out NOW

Where did you find seed oats for $10?

Comment

I plowed in oats and beets this week last year because I was going to be gone in ocotber and they came up great so strong I finished out my horses on the oats in March

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              That’s pretty early for oats... and army worms are out NOW

Where did you find seed oats for $10?

In my limited research, now into October was good to go given rain shortly after landing. Hope it works!

Temple Feed Store. $10 a bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
                In my limited research, now into October was good to go given rain shortly after landing. Hope it works!

Temple Feed Store. $10 a bag.
                Heck, you aren't out much money anyways....... you could go get the same seeds at the same price, then do another part of the field the same way mid-late October; compare the two areas in a few months.

Redneck Science

Comment

Keep us posted

Comment

What county are you in? Fingers crossed for good results.

Comment

It’s not too early for oats. Dairy farmers would always plant end of August/first of September. I’ve always planted Labor Day weekend and never had a problem. Not sure about you radishes and beets in this heat.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                        What county are you in? Fingers crossed for good results.

Bell County. I’ll get some pics for starting reference.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                          You are a month out from planting time
                          I agree. In my experience, if you time it just right. Deer really hit the oats when they're young and tender, and if you can time that with the cooler weather, they'll stay young and tender longer, and pull the deer the optimum point in the season. If you plant to early you run the risk of heat stressing, or the oats being less desirable, by the time the bucks are running around.

Comment

$420 per ton at Brown Feed in Lampasas. I'm going to wait till first of October though. You guys talking about army worms means I need to go check all my coastal fields this evening. I did not see any yesterday. Good luck with the plot.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
                              I agree. In my experience, if you time it just right. Deer really hit the oats when they're young and tender, and if you can time that with the cooler weather, they'll stay young and tender longer, and pull the deer the optimum point in the season. If you plant to early you run the risk of heat stressing, or the oats being less desirable, by the time the bucks are running around.
                              Don't forget army worms to ad to the debbie downers of food plot nightmares

Comment

Working...
                              X