BDL or BDM?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BDL or BDM?????

Having a really hard time deciding on what type of bottom metal I want on my next build. I really don't like the look of a big magazine hanging down below the stock, but I do like the idea of being able to drop a magazine for reloading purposes. I have a Savage 116 that has a BDM magazine but its flush with the bottom of the stock. Even the magazine release is flush with the bottom. Does anyone make BDM bottom metal for custom builds that is flush with the bottom of the stock with a small 2 or 3 round magazine?

HS Precision DBM isnt flush but sits pretty tight. I have it on a few rifles and I like it.

Comment

I'm also not a huge fan of the DBM since I grew up shooting single shot bolt action rifles. My custom Kodiak pictured below has a HS Precision DBM (Gen 1) that fits close to flush. Quality bottom metal and magazine which they're proud of $345 I bought this rifle used and am very pleased with it

Comment

I’ll third the HS DBM. Best one made by far in my opinion. As Blake said they ARE expensive and extra mags are $90ish. But worth it.

Comment

My APR also has an HS DBM. They’re mighty proud of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok thanks guys. Guess I gotta decide how bad I want a magazine vs just going with a bdl.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
              Ok thanks guys. Guess I gotta decide how bad I want a magazine vs just going with a bdl.
              Standard Rem 700 BDL hardware can be purchased used, like new for $100-125

Comment

I have a HS dbm on one build. My other 4 are BDL bottom metal. The dbm is nice in. Way. But in a standard .473 diameter case it will only hold 3+1 vs 4+1 in BDL. And you can't "top load" the mag. You have to remove it. Which can be annoying, for me anyway. Instead of taking round out of chamber and just reinserting it into the mag box by top loading, you have to remove the mag.

I guess if you are used to it it's no big deal but it is the only out of several rifles that is like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                  Standard Rem 700 BDL hardware can be purchased used, like new for $100-125
                  Thanks Blake. Hey I guess it’s ok to hyjack my own thread........so

What’s your thoughts on a Defiance tenacity or Bighorn Origin action vs just using a trued rem 700 action.

I’m thinking I can buy a new R700 for around $300 and have it trued for another $300 and be in at $600. Or spend $850 for one of the above custom actions.

Comment

What’s your thoughts on a Defiance tenacity or Bighorn Origin action vs just using a trued rem 700 action.

I’m thinking I can buy a new R700 for around $300 and have it trued for another $300 and be in at $600. Or spend $850 for one of the above custom actions.
                    If you ever go to sell it you’ll get far more than your initial $250 extra investment back with the custom action. Trued 700 actions build values have dropped a ton the last 7-8 years. They used to retain value ok. That’s not the case these days.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                      If you ever go to sell it you’ll get far more than your initial $250 extra investment back with the custom action. Trued 700 actions build values have dropped a ton the last 7-8 years. They used to retain value ok. That’s not the case these days.
                      I never even thought about it that way. Great point. Thank you sir.

Comment

Finding an older, quality machined Rem 700 action is getting harder to find. I would not waste my money on a newer 700 action that costs $300. If you already own a 1970’s Remington action, then I’d consider having it trued and blueprinted. It’s been documented that the recent production stuff is horrible. Save a few nickels and buy a custom machined action.

Custom actions are a matter of personal choice .... i.e. Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge vs. Toyota debate. They’re pretty much all the same with a few cosmetic differences to improve function. Actions based on the Rem 700 footprint will have a larger variety of component options to chose from ... triggers, stocks, rings & bases, etc...

Before spending a grand, contact local gunsmiths , gunshots, or friends that have a custom action. Cycle the bolt and compare the finish and specs of brand A vs. brand B. A Stiller action is gonna feel slightly different than a BAT or Kelbly. Just do your homework and buy/build what YOU want

Pm me with any questions

Comment

Working...
                        X