Thinking about buying some property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about buying some property?

I've been kicking around the idea of buying some land (150-300 acres depending on where we decide) in Texas for a retirement place. I've been starting to consider low fencing it in hog proof fencing and running some hog hunts (down the road obviously) is this something that will off set the cost of owning the ranch and making a little bit of money on the side. Trying to weigh out the 500k it will cost to buy the property and the return on it. I figured this is the best place to get some real info.

That's a whole bunch of pork to offset 500k. But I agree on buying a place wish I could right now!

Comment

These are rough numbers, basically if I sold both my houses here and bought the property. Both houses here make about 2500 a month. If I can make more then that and have fun away from the city I'm going to be looking pretty hard.

On a side note how much land do you guys like for hog hunts, is 100 acres enough plus or minus a few?
      Last edited by tradslam; 10-03-2015, 04:27 PM.

Comment

In my opinion you would have a hard time making much off of hogs. You be much better off raising chickens and selling eggs

Comment

This is a retirement setup not the end all be all. If I made 3 k a month I'd me happy

Comment

For what it's worth, I and a lot of people wouldn't pay to kill a pig. But there is a small percentage of people that would...

Having people on your property, with firearms, harvesting animals is a liability. Insurance is worth having, and is gunna cost prolly more than it's worth...

Comment

Originally posted by tradslam View Post
              This is a retirement setup not the end all be all. If I made 3 k a month I'd me happy
              I think $36K per year is extremely difficult on a property that size.

Comment

Stan is spot on. It's hard to make 36k a year on a thousand acres.

Comment

let me know if u figure out how to make short term $$ on land, mine has been more of a place to drop $ in the short term. Land is more a long term project. But u might look for a place that has a lot of timber that might be harvested for some return on your investment. Good luck on your options

Comment

@ $250-300/hunter per 2 nights you would need 10-12 hunters per week. Then add in cost of feed and maintenance and insurance. There is a lot to consider, could be a lot of work/cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigyummy77 View Post
                      @ $250-300/hunter per 2 nights you would need 10-12 hunters per week. Then add in cost of feed and maintenance and insurance. There is a lot to consider, could be a lot of work/cost.
                      Everyone is just raining on your parade, but IMO they are right on the money, it just ain't there in hog hunters. I do see advertisements around here for hog hunts but no where near the money you are needing. It would take a lot of managment every weekend to coordinate even 5/10 hunters on 100+ ac., maintain feeders and blinds. I think you should do it if your hearts in it but maybe your expectations are a little high on the hunting/money part. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Wouldnt be worth it. After you buy insurance, pay off fence, feed and what not.

100 acres minimum for this as a company in COlumbus does this.

But I think your way over on what you can make. Then it becomes a job and having to deal with people on your place and not being able to hunt it as much yourself

Comment

As hogs become more prevalent it seems every Tom, ****, & Harry are selling hog hunts. A lot of them seem to be doing it just to thin out their hog population. More competition drives the price down. You're looking at a lot of expense and work for little return. It's not just blinds and feeders, you've got roads, gates, and perhaps a lodge to maintain.

If you find some dirt you like for a fair price, get it. Land's a great investment.

Comment

Good choice! Can't go wrong with land! Best of luck to ya!

Comment

You're talking about trying to make money selling hunts to people who won't even pay attention to property lines LOL

But if you can buy land for your own enjoyment that's something else much better altogether

Comment

Working...
                              X