257wby Bullets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
    More meat damage than I like but very much DRT.
    Hunting for horns mostly over there anyway
    Originally posted by hweissert View Post
    I’ve shot the 115 vld in mine for years. They are pretty devastating. Way way better performer for me than the 110 accubond
    May go that route then

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
      I shoot 100 gr. Barnes TSX in the .257 STW and have never had a deer (or hog) take a step. I am going to try a load with the accubonds when I get some time, but Barnes have been good for me at around 3825 fps.
      Geez that is really pushing on a 100gr

Comment

I shoot a 100 gr. Spire Point and they don’t go very far. Out of the 4 deer I killed this past season, the furthest one went about 30 yards and fell over (all shots were behind the shoulder). All 11 hogs I killed were DRT...either shoulder or neck shots.

Comment

What length barrel? 100 grain spires in all of our vanguards with 24 inch barrels. Group great and turn things into jelly

Comment

257wby Bullets?

Bobby I shot that giant mule deer with a 115gr Nosler Partition Hand load out of my 25-06.

I hit him in the base of the neck at over 300 yards. Folded him up.

His neck, in that area, was as big or bigger than a 5 gallon buck and it was a complete pass through.

Made a believer out of me.
            Last edited by PondPopper; 02-07-2018, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cull hunter View Post
              What length barrel? 100 grain spires in all of our vanguards with 24 inch barrels. Group great and turn things into jelly
              24” also
              Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
              Bobby I shot that giant mule deer with a 115gr Nosler Partition Hand load out of my 25-06.

I hit him in the base of the neck at over 300 yards. Folded him up.

His neck, in that area, was as big or bigger than a 5 gallon buck and it was a complete pass through.

Made a believer out of me.
              So what I’m getting here is anything out of a 257wby will drop em haha

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                24” also

So what I’m getting here is anything out of a 257wby will drop em haha
                I would stay away from the 100gr bullets.. I've shot a couple in Brady with my .257 WBY Mag using 100 grainers and they do not edit on those small deer.. What was left of the bullet was Right under the skin.. To much speed for that light of a bullet IMO, IF you want a blood trail.
                Hell I hit one of those 230lb Mexico buck with a 140gr twice, out of my 7mm08, and no exit.
                Both shots where 2" apart and he still acted like he wasnt even hit for a few seconds after the 2nd hit him..
                Last edited by PondPopper; 02-07-2018, 08:40 PM.

Comment

257wby Bullets?

I’ve dropped em with the 115 ballistic tips and 115 Bergers but I prefer the Berger.

I find it comical when folks say “I shot him in the neck (or head) and he dropped right there”.

Well duh...........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Geez that is really pushing on a 100gr
                    Going from memory that is with about 73 gr of RL22. Pretty good load for a small chunk of copper.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      I’ve dropped em with the 115 ballistic tips and 115 Bergers but a prefer the Berger.

I find it comical when folks say “I shot him in the neck (or head) and he dropped right there”.

Well duh...........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      In my case the penetration is what I was highlighting. Yea neck shots generally fold them..

Comment

I use Nosler Partition 115 gr in my 257 Weatherby.

I shot my last Axis thru the shoulder and this bullet was just underneath the skin on the opposite side. The shot was a little over a 130 yards.
                        Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Have always been fond of partitions in that caliber. Hold together well at the high velocities.

Comment

Bust him with that new SAUM and a 143 ELD-X!

I guess you never sold this beauty?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mzurovec View Post
                              Bust him with that new SAUM and a 143 ELD-X!

I guess you never sold this beauty?
                              Nope wasn’t going any lower on $ so decided to keep it. Not taking the SAUM and leaving it a whole season in Mexico got too much $ tied up in it haha

Comment

Nope wasn’t going any lower on $ so decided to keep it. Not taking the SAUM and leaving it a whole season in Mexico got too much $ tied up in it haha
                                Oh no. Your going to leave it over there?
                                I'll trade you that old ugly green one back for that beauty... It's has plenty of power!!!! They might not even steal the green one..
                                But I need to shoot a couple Nilgai first..

Comment

Working...
                                X