Walk

Comment

Young un

Comment

walk 3.5

Comment

Walk

1) Looks young

2) Does not meet AR where I hunt so couldn't whack him if I wanted to

Comment

No whack...walk.... If same next year....whack.

Comment

On our place in Eden, that'd probably be a walk, but very close to whack.

We try to cull out 3.5 yr old 8s or less that don't exhibit traits we like, or potential to grow into trophies. He is weak on his left side, but his main beams have form to where I think in another year he may get wider/taller so I'd probably let him pass. His right side looks pretty good, so I'd pass on him here. If he was a little more of a basket rack, he'd get an arrow.

The biologist we talked to in Concho cty recommends the same thing basically...even he offers up to cull at 2.5 if you can pick the traits out that early, if not he says by 3.5 you should be able to tell what will be what. His idea (and I agree with the logic) is that the earlier you cull the undesirables, the less chance they have of spreading the trait. The hard part comes in of being able to pick off the trait that young and be confident in your culling. The other hard part, is that these Eden deer can be harder to age as well....Ive had a few that I thought were 4.5 that others shot and the teeth showed 6 or older.
                  Last edited by bsmizzy07; 10-07-2015, 07:09 AM. Reason: added content to last paragraph

Comment

I can agree with that. His frame, tine length (on the good side) save him. Plus I am interested to see what that little hand side does next year.

Comment

Working...
                    X