MLD and Management Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ar3731guy View Post
    I would try and get pics of as many of your bucks as possible. Then class them by young (1-2 yo), middle (3-4 yo) and mature (5+ yo). I prolly would leave the young class alone unless there is something in there that is way "worse" than the rest of his class. In the other 2 classes, middle and mature, make a decision as to what you want more of and what you want less of. That would be the best way to determine what needs to be removed.
    My advice on the bucks as well.
    Also I would try and leave the biggest bodied does alone as I want that trait passed along also.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
      I'd have this conversation with your biologist. We got 20 does and 8 bucks. He said take out as many does as possible (early) and shoot mature bucks or cull bucks. If you don't shoot all the bucks but your observation logs show you passed on immature bucks it won't be viewed as a negative. We have never harvested our buck recommendation and never had a problem. Just stick to mature bucks only or culls. Don't force yourselves into killing deer that need time.
      I had similar conversation with our biologist. He by no means wants us shooting immature bucks unless they are culls.

Comment

Working...
      X