Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any katy folks know much about this school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any katy folks know much about this school?

West Memorial Jr high? Well my wife and I are in the process of making an offer, and I totally missed that my son would be going to a different middle school than I expected. Elementary and High school seem great, but not so sure about middle school. Very little data points for me to look at, suspect reviews online from students and parents, but some good ones too. I just don't know anything about it, other than the demographics. Looks like that school specifically jumps to 45% economically disadvantaged. Don't want to make generalizations ( we needed govt assistance at first when my dad moved us to Ohio after the air force and was working in the steel mill), but the stat doesn't bode well for types of students. Just looking for any input. Just for fun, wife looked up previous owners and looks like they raised 4/5 kids just fine so there's that.

it was an ok school back when i was in KISD back in the early 90's. i have lots of friends from high school that went there. i'm not sure about it now with all the growth around katy. i know mason road has more traffic on it now than back in the day.

Comment

Talked to my wife who teaches in the district. West Mo is not terrible, but not great. Verify small school so small class sizes. How long before your kid will be in Jr High? She said they will be drawing new attendance boundaries in a year or 2.

Comment

You could do better...but you could probably do worse too....I'd rate it on the lower end of the junior high schools in Katy.

Would I send my kids there if I had the choice of other jr highs in Katy....probably not.

Sent you a PM.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. We've got a while, son's only two right now haha. I'd rather be aware though than just hoping district lines change by then. The home is actually closer to memorial parkway jr high, but just the way the boundaries fall right now. Just a lot different for me, where I grew up there was only one elementary, one middle school, and one high school.

Comment

Dang by the time he's ready, things will have changed hundreds of times. You my possibly move by then.

Comment

I went to West Memorial in junior high (late 90’s/early 2000’s) and it was fine. Is it the absolute best? No. Is it good? Yes. There are a lot more schools below that school than are above it IMO.

Comment

My son goes there and he loves it. The 6th grade teachers I have met seem to really have the students in mind. I really like the athletic coaches, good people! I have only heard of one bad situation there and it was one kid trying to prove he was tough to a kid that 3 times bigger than he was. The situation may not have been handled well but it was definitely something we as parents look out for and are aware of. Just a shame the bigger kid didn’t want to get suspended for defending himself. My son is super involved and volunteers for about anything. I think that’s a key to his success there.

Comment

Ohio I was raised in Canton!!

Comment

Good to hear. I know parent involvement makes a big difference, and a kid having drive themselves. Small world, I grew up in North canton, worked at timken steel for a bit during college haha.

Comment

You can't go wrong in Katy ISD. I've been here for several years and even though it might not score high on the KISD scale, it still scores high on the overall. I'm just west of you and wouldn't have an issue sending my little ones there. I'm not 100% but, Taylor was in the top 10-20 high schools in Texas so, I have to believe there wouldn't be a decent school leading to Taylor.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                        Good to hear. I know parent involvement makes a big difference, and a kid having drive themselves. Small world, I grew up in North canton, worked at timken steel for a bit during college haha.
                        Not gonna lie I am a Louisville kid hahahahaha no one knows where that is though!

Comment

Working...
                        X