Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #51
Walker
Ten Point

KC had 2 chances to make a stop and didnt either time. They lost.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #52
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
KC had 2 chances to make a stop and didnt either time. They lost.

That pretty much sums it up.....
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #53
Smell the Glove
Ten Point

It’s a fair rule. Since the change in 2012, the team that possesses the ball first has won 50% of the time. Before the change it was around 80% iirc.
Smell the Glove is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2019, 01:01 PM   #54
Marco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
They already had 4 quarters to equally show that.
Agreed
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2019, 01:30 PM   #55
Bish
Ten Point

This is just me, not been a big fan of football in a while, I feel its all staged and they know who is going to win, the missed call on the Saints game that a blind man could see and the roughing the Quarter back call on Brady when he was never touched to the head, but there again that's just me and my opinion only. Just wished I made there kind of money running around on a field
God Bless
Bish
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #56
hunt247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Saint Jo

No field goals or extra points in OT. TD and only can go for 2
hunt247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #57
LWC
Ten Point

Wait......I thought we all boycotted football?
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2019, 03:19 PM   #58
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

I like it.

It's OT because they couldn't settle it before the final whistle blew. It should be slanted towards a quick finish.
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2019, 03:27 PM   #59
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

If they want to cut the games shorter, then just start the game like they do OT...if the team who wins the coin toss scorers a TD, everyone go home. its over. No need to even play 60 minutes and risk injury to anyone at all. People wouldn't get tired, it would cut down on the amount of concussions, its a win/win for everyone

Except the fans...kind of like the way OT is currently done, IMO I think each team should at least get the ball. Just like everyone is saying "stop them and you get a chance" it would relate to the Pats during this game. The Chiefs get the ball after NE scores...stop them and you win and advance.

I see both sides of the argument. Realistically it comes down to whomever wins the coin toss has a distinct advantage...doesn't really seem like an even way of doing it to me. But heck, they didn't ask for my input when they created the OT rules
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2019, 03:32 PM   #60
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion, Webb, counties

If the team that wins the coin flip scores a touchdown make them go for 2 points, then let the other team get a shot. Makes each team have offense and defense play a series.
Mertzon Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #61
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertzon Man View Post
If the team that wins the coin flip scores a touchdown make them go for 2 points, then let the other team get a shot. Makes each team have offense and defense play a series.
I agree with this, never been a fan of the current system and it has nothing to do with yesterdays games.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #62
Russ79
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches county, San Augustine county, Beaufort county NC

It's better than it used to be- used to all you had to do was kick a field goal if you had first possession to win. Now you have to score a touchdown on first possession, after that a field goal can win it. If you can't stop them from crossing the goal line then maybe you don't deserve a chance...Just saying..
Russ79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2019, 04:02 PM   #63
Dushon
Ten Point

TBH these days...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dushon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #64
AlaskaFlyerFan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Don't have a place yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahan View Post
In my opinion, a change needs to me made in the NFL overtime rule. An overtime win shouldn't be the luck of a coin toss. Both sides should have a possession of the ball. I'm referring to last night's Chiefs and Patriots game and many other games for that matter. Would like to have seen the Chiefs get a chance to answer.

No more than one 10-minute period will follow a three-minute intermission. Each team must possess, or have the opportunity to possess, the ball. The exception: if the team that gets the ball first scores a touchdown on the opening possession."
I agree with the first part of your post but not the 2nd. So the only change you cited was a shorter period? 10 mins instead of the normal 15? I'm not seeing where this changes anything about the way OT is played except on the clock.

Why even put time on the clock? Each team gets a possession. If still tied, continue playing until one team outscores the other after an equal amount of possessions. The same principle as extra innings in baseball.
AlaskaFlyerFan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2019, 06:07 PM   #65
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

The step up and play defense when it counts is a little comical. Yea, you should always step up and play defense. Maybe better defense would have prevented the OT in the first place.

However, to know that you lost a coin toss so your exhausted defense is your only hope for the win is a bit obsurred. I think itís pretty common knowledge in all sports that defense is a more debilitating position than offense.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2019, 06:08 PM   #66
Mahan
Four Point

Hunt In: Haskell

"No more than one 10-minute period will follow a three-minute intermission. Each team must possess, or have the opportunity to possess, the ball. The exception: if the team that gets the ball first scores"

This was quoted from the NFL rules for post season overtime play.
Mahan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2019, 06:16 PM   #67
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
The step up and play defense when it counts is a little comical. Yea, you should always step up and play defense. Maybe better defense would have prevented the OT in the first place.

However, to know that you lost a coin toss so your exhausted defense is your only hope for the win is a bit obsurred. I think itís pretty common knowledge in all sports that defense is a more debilitating position than offense.

Itís not comical at all... and yes... you should have played better defense in the first 4 quarters. All you have to do is stop them for a FG or punt. No TD and you get your chance. You are going to have to stop them eventually or you will lose anyway.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:21 PM   #68
Mahan
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
I agree with the first part of your post but not the 2nd. So the only change you cited was a shorter period? 10 mins instead of the normal 15? I'm not seeing where this changes anything about the way OT is played except on the clock.

Why even put time on the clock? Each team gets a possession. If still tied, continue playing until one team outscores the other after an equal amount of possessions. The same principle as extra innings in baseball.
The second part of my post was taken from the NFL rules for post season overtime play.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:22 PM   #69
Lawhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonner View Post
Iím not a saints fan, but they shouldíve won in regulation. Refs completely botched that PI call
They should have won in regulation, but I think the way that overtime played out shows why this rule is good.
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2019, 06:31 PM   #70
RJH1
Ten Point

All four teams new and understood the ot rules before the game, if any team was really worried about it they had the option to win in regulation. Bunch of whiners
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 08:03 AM   #71
Smart
Pope & Young

Old 01-22-2019, 08:19 AM   #72
NoFence
Eight Point

It needs to be changed but it won't happen. To those who think it's perfectly fine, imagine if KC won the toss. Most people call Brady the best ever, but he never would've even seen the field in overtime if they didn't win the toss. If a team's offense has scored a touchdown on every single offensive play of the season, but they lose the toss, there's a chance they don't get to touch the ball.

That's a flawed system.
NoFence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 08:25 AM   #73
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Maybe it should be decided by the hottest cheerleaders
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 08:27 AM   #74
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:
Itís not comical at all... and yes... you should have played better defense in the first 4 quarters. All you have to do is stop them for a FG or punt. No TD and you get your chance. You are going to have to stop them eventually or you will lose anyway.
They tried but got flagged for touching Brady
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 08:35 AM   #75
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogHunter34 View Post
They tried but got flagged for touching Brady

True true....
Old 01-22-2019, 08:35 AM   #76
Mahan
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFence View Post
It needs to be changed but it won't happen. To those who think it's perfectly fine, imagine if KC won the toss. Most people call Brady the best ever, but he never would've even seen the field in overtime if they didn't win the toss. If a team's offense has scored a touchdown on every single offensive play of the season, but they lose the toss, there's a chance they don't get to touch the ball.

That's a flawed system.

Well stated.....
Old 01-22-2019, 08:54 AM   #77
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:

That's a flawed system.
If they made a touchdown on every possession they probably wouldn't be in OT..........
Old 01-22-2019, 08:54 AM   #78
hog wild
Six Point

Hunt In: houston,cherokee, angelina co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushon View Post
TBH these days...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no kidding! KC lost! its just a game.
hog wild is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #79
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
If a team's offense has scored a touchdown on every single offensive play of the season, but they lose the toss, there's a chance they don't get to touch the ball.

That's a flawed system.

Are you really going to roll with that as a justification? That extreme unfathomable example? Come on man

Defense is every bit a part of the team as the offense. Joe Klatt nail it in my quote above. "Make a play on 3rd down". Just one. If your team can't get a stop you don't deserve to win...

The Rams got it done on defense with some help from Brees......
Old 01-22-2019, 09:31 AM   #80
NoFence
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH1 View Post
If they made a touchdown on every possession they probably wouldn't be in OT..........
Stand up, the point went right over your head.

Quote:
Are you really going to roll with that as a justification? That extreme unfathomable example? Come on man

Defense is every bit a part of the team as the offense. Joe Klatt nail it in my quote above. "Make a play on 3rd down". Just one. If your team can't get a stop you don't deserve to win...

Both of yall ignored the first part. If the best qb in history didn't get a chance to take a snap in overtime of the AFC championship game because of a coin flip, all the talk across the country would be about changing the rules.

It would be like baseball going to extra innings and if the away team scores the game is over.
NoFence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 09:44 AM   #81
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:

Both of yall ignored the first part. If the best qb in history didn't get a chance to take a snap in overtime of the AFC championship game because of a coin flip, all the talk across the country would be about changing the rules.

It would be like baseball going to extra innings and if the away team scores the game is over.
No, the point was stupid, and the best qb in history did get the ball in ot and made the defense look like a bunch of eight graders.

If kc didn't like the ot rules, maybe they should have scored, i don't know, a point in the first half, but they didn't so.......
Old 01-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #82
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

My point has nothing to do with Sundays games or any other Nfl overtime game, I do not think the system is good to determine who is the best team. Baseball does not do it this way, each team has a chance to score. Hell just flip a coin to determine the winner, that would solve all the debates, lol. I can see it now, in baseball extra innings the go ahead run was made off a home run, game over, you should have made a better pitch, lol.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #83
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:

Yes I did ignore it after I read it, because it's a moot point after 4 quarters....
Old 01-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #84
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Quote:

Exactly. Make a play. The defense gave up 3rd and 10, 3 times in OT.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 10:01 AM   #85
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:
Yes I did ignore it after I read it, because it's a moot point after 4 quarters....
Yep in football ot is about getting the game wrapped up quickly, with less chance of injury cause tired people are more susceptible to injury, and a better chance of being ready for next week. I believeif kc won this would be a non issue, but people love to hate ne, so they gotta cry.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:30 AM   #86
drbonner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shelby County and Kansas

Quote:
They already had 4 quarters to equally show that.
So just let the coin toss decide who wins.
drbonner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #87
drbonner
Ten Point

Quote:
Before 1996 there was no overtime in college or high school so the NFLs sudden death preceded them. NFL then improved on their own format with the current system...

There are flaws in the college format as well. See the 7 OT Aggy/ LSU game. Dead defenses letting offenses score at will and the NFL kickers would make FGs at Will spotting it at the 25.
If the NFLs method was any good at all, college and HS wouldíve followed suit.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:36 AM   #88
drbonner
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce16 View Post
In overtime, start the kickers on the 30 yardline and add 5 yds each time. Play it like knockout! First one to miss and the other one to make it, WINS.
Or line the QBs up and see who can throw the farthest.
Make it about defense, line the Dline up and have a foot race while dragging the other teams QB from a rope.
Have the Head Coaches play Rock Paper Scissors
Its a game folks, someone has to win and some has to lose. There is NO perfect answer to give everyone the same fighting chance. They'll always be the edge to one team or the other. What if the team the deferred the opening toss, got one less possession than the other team due to the LUCK of the first coin flip and they scored TDs on every possession? "Well they got the ball more than we did...."
If both teams get a chance, one teams offense is going to rest or the other teams defense until they get their turn on the field.
Losers will always have an excuse. But I will say the officiating was more than terrible for both games and hope they get reprimanded for their lack of doing their job. Theres no way that there was less than 3 officials looking at that PI play on the Saints Rams game, and NONE of them thought is was a penalty? Seriously? There has to be some consequences that come out of these two games on the officiating side.
Maybe MLB should make extra innings sudden death. If the other team scores you donít get to bat or If you hold them you get to bat. Thatís how stupid the NFL overtime is. Which Iím not surprised. It is the NFL
Old 01-22-2019, 10:41 AM   #89
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:
He says as he casually ignores the ot outcome of the saints/rams game.......
Old 01-22-2019, 10:41 AM   #90
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:

I mean again, how ridiculous is that statement. Did it win it for New Orleans this past weekend? Do they flip the coin and then just walk off the field with one team celebrating victory?...

The coin toss decides if your offense or defense gets to try to win you the game... Remember there are two sides of the ball?... It's a team game.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:44 AM   #91
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
If the NFLs method was any good at all, college and HS wouldíve followed suit.

Yes the college system is perfect.........7 OTs in Aggy /LSU...

Old 01-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #92
sticks
Six Point

Hunt In: Woodson, Throckmorton

Should go to shoot out!
5 field goal attempts each team from 40 yard line. If tie, move to 50 then 60!
Talk about pressure and suspense
sticks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #93
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Changing it to make it longer would be hard to get past the players union I would think. Just from an injury standpoint I could see where they would have issues. NFL rules are not just made or created by one person.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 11:12 AM   #94
bullhead44
Ten Point

Its all just a big conspiracy to get Brady another Super bowl! Just wait, the refs will screw the Rams too. The Pats owner has too much power and gets all the breaks. Belichek has the refs intimidated, and they make sure not to **** him off. No other team stands a chance until something is done!!!

I could really care less who wins tho.
bullhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 11:16 AM   #95
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead44 View Post
Its all just a big conspiracy to get Brady another Super bowl! Just wait, the refs will screw the Rams too. The Pats owner has too much power and gets all the breaks. Belichek has the refs intimidated, and they make sure not to **** him off. No other team stands a chance until something is done!!!

I could really care less who wins tho.

Man....I bet the NFL was ****** when their paid conspirators dropped the ball against the Eagles last year trying to get Brady another Super Bowl...or did the NFL just not want Brady to get one more last year?

I know I was ****** when the Eagles won as a Cowboys fan. Wished the NFL would have come through for us..

Last edited by Smart; 01-22-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #96
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever

Quote:
No... the cointoss determines if your offense or defense nuts up and wins the game for you.
Exactly...

The phrase "Their offense is their best defense" doesn't work when you run of time going back and forth and reach OT. In OT you have to have both.

Look at it another way... if two team's can't stop each other's offense... well... you might as well leave it to a coin toss to determine who is going to go.

Disclaimer... I really really really wanted the Chiefs to win too!!!!
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 11:22 AM   #97
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
Disclaimer... I really really really wanted the Chiefs to win too!!!!

Same. I wanted Brady to go home... not that I don't like him. I'm just ready for some new blood like this Mahomes kid.....or DAK! Please dear God just one more time before I leave this world..
Old 01-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #98
Danno
Four Point

Don't let it go to overtime. Why need extra time? 60 minutes is plenty of time to beat an opponent. If you can't then you are leaving it up to luck.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 11:30 AM   #99
bullhead44
Ten Point

Quote:
Man....I bet the NFL was ****** when their paid conspirators dropped the ball against the Eagles last year trying to get Brady another Super Bowl...or did the NFL just not want Brady to get one more last year?

I know I was ****** when the Eagles won as a Cowboys fan. Wished the NFL would have come through for us..
that was all just to drive up the rating for this year. The media tried to say Brady was finished early this year after the super bowl loss and the pats early season struggles. Its better ratings now that he is a year older
bullhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 11:31 AM   #100
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead44 View Post
that was all just to drive up the rating for this year. The media tried to say Brady was finished early this year after the super bowl loss and the pats early season struggles. Its better ratings now that he is a year older

Ahhhh....I knew you could backstory it all..