Laguna Atascosa NWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laguna Atascosa NWR

This from a retired game warden that worked the refuge for years commenting on the refuge allowing private outfit to kill nilgai from helicopter and sell the meat rather that using hunters as a resource.

I could write and write with information on all of this, but it would do no good. People will argue no matter what, particularly those who have hunted there and talked with some FWS employees who tow the party line, and therefore think this makes them experts. I was the supervisory game warden there for years, retired now. The FWS managers could use hunters to control hogs and nilgai more effectively year-around in a targeted manner, and I encouraged them to do so over the years, but they wouldn't. They do not need any further hunt plan approvals to do so either (that's B.S.). They could use smaller hunter numbers, using rifle hunts, open up access more, and it would not require much monitoring or FWS personnel. Those are just excuses. They claim they don't have personnel or resources. However, they have no problem with using personnel and volunteers in conducting tram tours, birding tours, kayaking tours, etc...and some of these tours are in areas closed to public vehicle access. Also, while nilgai are a fever tick host, so are whitetail deer! Are they going to shoot all the deer? No! The reason not many nilgai are taken by hunters is simply because rifle hunts are limited (5 hunts of 35 permits more or less, for 3 days each per year) and access is strictly limited. Plus, they are going more and more toward non monitored hunts, no check out, etc...anyway!

Interestingly enough, they will not allow USDA to place feeders on refuge with corn laced with a treatment to kill fever ticks from the deer. USDA is setting hundreds of feeder outside Refuge boundaries, yet they want to kill all the nilgai by helicopter!

I have no problem with killing the nilgai by copter, but why use a single approach? Why not sell hunts for weekends in limited numbers for rifle hunts year around and allow greater drive in access? If they had been doing this, the numbers would have already been more controlled.

Special Use Permits (SUPs) are issued in large numbers every year allowing all kinds of access for biological studies, nature reporters, colleges, etc...to go where the public can't and do what normal visitors can't (including trapping animals, collecting bugs, taking plants, etc...).

Puro pinche excuses is why they don't. They pander to environmentalist, biologist, birders, nature watchers, etc...and pretty much everyone, except hunters. There is a real anti-hunter sentiment with many of the managers, biologist, and employees.

Yes, some hunters commit violations, but every user group has violators. I've arrested non-hunting college professors, teachers, doctors, lawyers, and people from all walks of life committing violations. Hunters as a group have a very low violator rate, particularly on the rifle hunts.

So let them just keep feeding y'all the excuses and B.S.! Lol
    Last edited by chancito1; 01-14-2017, 12:36 PM.

Why are they trying to kill the nilgai? Sorry if I may have missed it somewhere in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
      Why are they trying to kill the nilgai? Sorry if I may have missed it somewhere in there.

They are calling them an invasive species, which they are much like pigs. The actual reason behind all this was due to the cattle tick that was brought across from Mexico a few years back which the nilgai can carry but so can deer. The 40k acre refuge is right in the quarantine zone. The USDA can kill the ticks with a mix they are using in feeders all around the refuge but they will not allow USDA to set feeders inside the refuge. They are all for not disturbing wildlife yet they will allow a private contractor to profit off of using helicopters to kill and sell these animals rather than letting hunters go in and hunt them.

Comment

I can also imagine there are some compadre and cunado deals going on. I mean it is the Valley. I also wouldn't doubt it if some of the refuge personnel are using it as their personal hunting lease. I have seen spilled corn in the back of refuge vehicles.

I can also say that I've experienced the anti-hunter attitude by some of the personnel. It's a sad deal all around.

Comment

Originally posted by SneakyPhil View Post
          I can also imagine there are some compadre and cunado deals going on. I mean it is the Valley. I also wouldn't doubt it if some of the refuge personnel are using it as their personal hunting lease. I have seen spilled corn in the back of refuge vehicles.

I can also say that I've experienced the anti-hunter attitude by some of the personnel. It's a sad deal all around.
          Looks like this is fixing to get ugly with the public. I posted a comment on their FB page within 5 min I had a pm asking for my number so the GM could call me on Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by chancito1 View Post
            They are calling them an invasive species, which they are much like pigs. The actual reason behind all this was due to the cattle tick that was brought across from Mexico a few years back which the nilgai can carry but so can deer. The 40k acre refuge is right in the quarantine zone. The USDA can kill the ticks with a mix they are using in feeders all around the refuge but they will not allow USDA to set feeders inside the refuge. They are all for not disturbing wildlife yet they will allow a private contractor to profit off of using helicopters to kill and sell these animals rather than letting hunters go in and hunt them.

It would make more sense to do a drawn hunt where they can benefit by getting rid of the nilgai and make some money while doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post

The nilgai are nomadic and have a much greater range to spread the mexican tick fever than deer and hogs. This is why the nilgai is targeted.

Comment

Originally posted by chancito1 View Post
                Looks like this is fixing to get ugly with the public. I posted a comment on their FB page within 5 min I had a pm asking for my number so the GM could call me on Tuesday
                I commented on your post. They can call me if they want I'll give them a piece of my mind.
                Last edited by SneakyPhil; 01-14-2017, 08:53 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Sad story all around. There was a story released just the other day that the meat is actually being sold, not donated like they had originally stated. From what I've heard most of the Nilgai killed have very few of the dreaded ticks.

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
                    Sad story all around. There was a story released just the other day that the meat is actually being sold, not donated like they had originally stated. From what I've heard most of the Nilgai killed have very few of the dreaded ticks.

http://www.valleymorningstar.com/new...b70286822.html

I've been around a dead nilgai or two(definitely more than two) and most have been pretty much tick free. Clean animals for being as big as they are.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jmsck12;12110904]I've been around a dead nilgai or two(definitely more than two) and most have been pretty much tick free. Clean animals for being as big as they are.

Yup, I second that!

I have talked to them and they come from an outfit outside of Rock Springs. They bring everything from the copter to cold trucks to store the meat, butchers etc... They pay the gov't .17ยข p/lb and they sell it for $22-$30.

Comment

This may be gaining some speed. If anything at least we can be a thorn in their side.

Comment

Saw this on FB. Ridiculous how messed up our government can be.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

I am headed down this upcoming week for their Nilgai Hunt. I have spoke with three different representatives over the last month and a half. Two of which were not friendly too say the least, almost making it a point that I was bothering them with my questions.

One of my questions was about the helicopter hunts and if they have dramatically impacted the populations. I got a laugh. She told me the hunters are not killing near enough Nilgai and besides that, the area where they kill the Nilgai is closed to public hunters. I spoke my mind about the whole conversation and let her know I was looking forward to continuing it in person. The above post are dead accurate based off of my few experiences with the refuge so far.
                            I will repost after the hunt. I hoping it will be a good experience.

Comment

If you are on Facebook you need to like their page and comment whenever possible. They posted a picture of a Nilgai today and asked if people knew what animal it was. Several people commented about the hunting situation and other people responded to those comments not knowing that the refuge was doing the helicopter hunts.

Comment

Working...
                              X