UTV's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UTV's

I know this is about like asking Ford vs Chevy or Matthews vs Hoyt but what are you opinions on the various UTV's? My dad is looking at getting one. The primary purpose for getting this would be farming/ranching (hauling seed, fixing fence, checking/feeding cattle, etc) so bed size, tow capacity, etc is a big factor. Speed isn't that big of a factor. With that being said we would take it hunting also. He is looking at John Deere (probably what he gets because everything else he has is John Deere), Polaris and Kawasaki. Any other brands to consider?

Right now he wants a 1 seater. I'm trying to get him to get a 2 seater to benefit the grandkids but he's not sure about that. What are the pro's & con's for this difference with regards to work vs play, etc. Another option I've seen is a 1 seater with a high rack bench. Any advantages or disadvantages to this setup?

Any other things to keep in mind or watch out for? What kind of add ons would your recommend(gun rack, bow rack, wench, etc.) both before and aftermarket? Thanks for the opinions.

I like my Polaris Crew. Good machine and goes wherever I want to go.
    Plenty of accessories available both Polaris and after market.

Comment

Ranger hands down. Winch is a must, top with lights, and bumpers for hitting stuff. I would go with a 2 seater before a high rack, especially with grandkids. The high rack will make it more top heavy and the 2 seater will be safer if a grandkid decides to "jump" off.

I don't know of many UTVs out there that will perform like the ranger with as much payload, towing, ground clearance, etc. But, I have not looked at all of their specs recently.

Comment

I have been pretty impressed with the Yamaha Viking that I test drove.

Comment

Better let him get a green one, because no matter how good something else is, he will wish he had got that JD green. Them guys are JD brainwashed!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
            Better let him get a green one, because no matter how good something else is, he will wish he had got that JD green. Them guys are JD brainwashed!
            Yeah, I think that is how it will go but you never know.

Thanks for the replies and keep them coming.

Comment

I have a ranger so Im partial. However I hear a lot of good stuff about the new JD since they finally got away from the old pawpaw versions of things. Crew vs. single would depend on what sort of terrain youre going to drive it on/in. I dont think a crew would work well for me due to all the tight spaces I run in. High racks in my opinion add to much weight to the rear and clog necessary bed space. I have a single seat rack we use for critter hunting but it spends all its time in the barn.

Go drive them and make the choice

Comment

Look at the Kawasaki Terex. Love mine.

Comment

I love my Ranger

Comment

I have a buddy who has a 10,000 acre ranch. he is very hard on everthing he owns. He has been running UTV for years and says nothing compare to a ranger. He has had gators, mules, argo, bad boy buggie to name a few.

Comment

Honda Big Red!

Comment

Have the Ranger 900 and Love it I cannot believe I went so long with out one......descent speed at about 60mph and has the biggest bed and payload out there.

Comment

Love Rangers

Comment

Sold my Ranger when I got my Cherokee but if I ever bought another one it would be another ranger crew. Had Rhinos and Mule 4010 but there is just no comparison.

I had concerns with the length of the crew but it was never a problem. Absolutely loved mine. It would go places by buddies wouldn't ride with with me through.

Comment

I have a Ranger Crew and it has been a work horse for me. I've taken it through some stuff down in Mexico that the javis won't even go thru! The ride alone will sell you on it. I know several guys who run mules and while they're durable, their comfort is lacking. I haven't had any first hand experience with the new JD Gators but I've heard good things.
                              The only other UTV I may consider over the Ranger is the new Honda Pioneer. It has an auto like transmission with a heavy duty torque converter (no belt.) If they come out with a true crew then I'll definitely be looking into them.
                              Last edited by J-Mac; 10-03-2013, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X