Bones of my Grandfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bones of my Grandfather

I wanted to reach out here and give everyone heads up of a new book written by my AT hiking friend Clay Bonnyman Evans. Clay’s grandfather was 1 of 3 who received the Medal of Honor during the Battle of Tarawa back in November of 1943. For those of you who do not know, the Battle was a 3 day all out assault of a heavily defended island in the Pacific.

The book is about his grandfather (who was awarded posthumously) and how Clay went to Tarawa and exhumed his grandfather’s bones. Clay shared the details with me as we hiked. It seems like the kind of book some TBhers might like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3498D18C-7404-422A-8BB6-A8845204913E.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	25149701

The book is now available July 3rd!

Wow, sounds like an excellent read about a great American hero.

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
      Wow, sounds like an excellent read about a great American hero.
      Definately! From what I heard, Clay’s grandfather brought the fight with him. Evidently the end came when 5 Japanese soldiers came at him and he got 3 of them!

Comment

Wow, that must have been a very emotional experience for him to be there when the found his grandfather’s remains.

Comment

I actually have my Grandfather's rib bone that was removed for a surgery he had in 1963. I have to be careful with it and put it away so the dog doesn't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
            Wow, that must have been a very emotional experience for him to be there when the found his grandfather’s remains.
            Yes sir! What was surprising to me is how many of our guys were buried on the island in common graves... of which some were marked, some were not and some were marked and since lost!

Comment

Was his grandfathers grave marked.
              If not how did they know where to look.
              Glad they found his remains, sounds like he was a true hero.

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                Was his grandfathers grave marked.
                If not how did they know where to look.
                Glad they found his remains, sounds like he was a true hero.
                No. They had old records regarding burial sights. They basically were on a hunt. Working of memory, he shared with me they could tell when a man was killed in the battle based on how they were buried. By the time they started burying guys who were killed day one, they were bloated and they did not take of web gear or anything. I believe his grandfather was killed on day 2 or 3. I can’t wait to read the book, I hiked with Clay and he shared some details.

Also I know he mentioned his grandfathers lighter was found on his body where it would have been in his pocket (obviously all clothing would have rotten).

Comment

I never have been a book reader, but this story has my attention. May have to check this out.

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                    I never have been a book reader, but this story has my attention. May have to check this out.
                    Good deal! I am in the process of securing my copy from Clay as well! He is an accomplished writer and the subject matter is fascinating. I have read about the battle before and it’s hard to imagine the fight our marines had when they went ashore.

Clay also shared with me his grandfather was NOT intended to be an assault Marine. I believe he was part of the shore party and kinda got sucked into the assault on the Japanese command bunker!

Comment

I just preordered it. I’m looking forward to reading it by a lake in Colorado in a few weeks.

Comment

Sounds like it is a book to read, will check it out
                        Thanks for posting

Comment

Interesting. Might have to scoop myself up a copy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like a great read!

Comment

Cant wait to read it.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X