Rattle Snake Skin Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattle Snake Skin Project

Had a couple big snakes in the freezer so figured it was time to skin them out and do something with them. I’ve never done this so after a couple YouTube videos and articles I decided to combine a couple methods and give it a go...

First kill a couple big snakes

Second, skin them out. I cut a slit all the way down the center of the snake and they peeled off very easily.

Third and most time consuming - I fleshed them out as best I could. Using a large sharp spoon worked best for this over a knife.

Next I mixed an equal about of rubbing alcohol and glycerin 50/50 in a jar and mixed together. I put the skins in and shook the jar twice a day to make sure everything was staying mixed and all parts were submerged.

After 7 days I pulled the skins out and fleshed again for the pieces of meat I missed the first time, followed by a good rinsing of cold water.

I then painted a light coat of glycerin on the flesh side of the skins. After that I had my wife hold a stick while I stretched the skin and rolled them onto the stick. (Read this works just as well as pinning them to a board but won’t leave a bunch of little holes in them)

Now I’m going to let them sit with a fan on them a day or two to dry.

I’ll post pics in a few days when I unroll them. Haven’t decided if I’m going to put them on a board or make something else. Would love to hear y’alls ideas. They sure are pretty! All in took me maybe two hours and cost 25 dollars so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those should turn out pretty cool. No ideas as far as what to do with em, but they will be cool

Comment

Buddy used the snake skin to cover the skul of a buck mount. He first built up a smooth, rounded surface, then glued the diamondback skin to it.

I have used it as the background in a frame with big hog teeth glued on the snakeskin as well.

Comment

Looks good, doing everything right!

Comment

following !

Comment

Nice job

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

In for the finished project...

Comment

following

Comment

Looking awesome.

Comment

Following. Hoping to try this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh, cool, thanks for the write up. I need to do this. Where do I get glycerin?

Comment

Those look great. I had a few picture frames made a few years back out of old barn wood and had rattler skin inlays. Turned out really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
                            Oh, cool, thanks for the write up. I need to do this. Where do I get glycerin?
                            I got it at Wallmart. Can probably get on Amazon in bulk to save a little more.

Comment

looks good so far

Comment

Working...
                              X