Eliminated an error in my draw cycle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eliminated an error in my draw cycle.

Ok. Caveat here is that I didn't know I was doing it wrong until I did it right.

My draw cycle, specifically my anchor has always been a little odd. I over draw. What I mean is I draw past my anchor point (my thumb knuckle in the pocket of my ear), lean my head to the right and then release my draw to settle into my anchor, hold for several seconds while I slow my breathing and then release. It's kind of how I was taught initially. Today I tried simply keeping my head still and drawing until I got to anchor and then slowly compressing my back until I release. Much shorter time between when I start to draw and release. I actually had to go back to a video I made of myself drawing and releasing to see what it was that I was doing. I was pretty much slapping my head into position once I was at over draw. Had I not seen it on video I'd never have known I was doing it.

I've been trying this trad thing since July of 2016 and it's taken this long to find out yet another thing I was doing wrong. Maybe in 10 years I'll be good enough to hunt.

Richard

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
    Ok. Caveat here is that I didn't know I was doing it wrong until I did it right.

My draw cycle, specifically my anchor has always been a little odd. I over draw. What I mean is I draw past my anchor point (my thumb knuckle in the pocket of my ear), lean my head to the right and then release my draw to settle into my anchor, hold for several seconds while I slow my breathing and then release. It's kind of how I was taught initially. Today I tried simply keeping my head still and drawing until I got to anchor and then slowly compressing my back until I release. Much shorter time between when I start to draw and release. I actually had to go back to a video I made of myself drawing and releasing to see what it was that I was doing. I was pretty much slapping my head into position once I was at over draw. Had I not seen it on video I'd never have known I was doing it.

I've been trying this trad thing since July of 2016 and it's taken this long to find out yet another thing I was doing wrong. Maybe in 10 years I'll be good enough to hunt.

Richard
    We're in the same boat for about the same time, Richard.

Started out split finger with a glove. Moved to three under with a tab. Got a lot better. Started fiddling with my anchor. Corner of mouth, then pocket of jaw...now, both at the same time. Canting, not canting, back to canting.

Just recently settled on it and practice the same way now. I can find my anchor and get it locked in easier if I drag my hand across my face on the draw.

For the life of me I am not yet able to "feel" the back tension, but it has to be there as my back is sore after a long session.

Glad you got it sorted out!

Todd

Comment

Working...
    X