Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 04-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #1
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx
Default Trump attempting to Legalize.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/04/13/t...ted-support-fo

Wonder how the left could spin this if he succeeds? Looks like he's going to attempt to pull the feds out of it and leave it up to the states. I have been pro legalization for a while....I'm just ready to get it off the table once and for all. And gay marriage as well. Bigger fish to fry.
Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Hope he gets it done.
I am tired of spending money locking up folks that are only hurting themselves.
That said
I have to wonder how the Dems will find something wrong with him doing it.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

He had lost me after the spending bill, he will gain favor with me for this but wont win me back completely. Throw Hillary in jail and we are friends again.
J Sweet is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #4
jer_james
Ten Point

So if / when every state adopts the legalization measures, will the prisons be able to release the non-violent offenders that may have been prosecuted?
jer_james is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #5
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
So if / when every state adopts the legalization measures, will the prisons be able to release the non-violent offenders that may have been prosecuted?
Good question....wonder what we did after prohibition?
Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #6
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
I would hope they would be released immediately on probation if non violent. It was illegal at the time and sending a message that the prosecutions do not count anymore would open up the govt to lawsuits.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #7
Charles
Pope & Young

Quote:
Time will tell.

If it was for simple possession for personal use, I'd be cool with them being released (Which I doubt anyone is in Prison for simple possession to begin with).

Is it safe to say the large majority serving time in prison for weed was transporting and distributing large quantities? Most also had other charges filed at the same time, like possession of a fire arm while committing other crimes.

It ain't cut and dry to say yes or no.
Charles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 02:37 PM   #8
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Time will tell.

If it was for simple possession for personal use, I'd be cool with them being released (Which I doubt anyone is in Prison for simple possession to begin with).

Is it safe to say the large majority serving time in prison for weed was transporting and distributing large quantities? Most also had other charges filed at the same time, like possession of a fire arm while committing other crimes.

You are correct. I did some research about this a while back just out of curiosity. Those "10 years for one joint!" stories we all used to hear are a thing of the past, to what degree they were ever true at all. I saw a recent headline "Man gets 12 years just for selling weed!" The guy in question was that trucking company owner from El Paso that was shipping tons of the stuff. There are very few people in prison for whom mere possession was their most serious offense unless they had bales of it. There is credence to the argument that it is a giant waste of resources to jail people for having a baggie of weed in their car, but as long as the law is on the books how can you just not enforce it? Texas will be one of the last states to come around on legalization but I also think it will happen eventually.

Last edited by jerp; 04-16-2018 at 02:47 PM.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 04:16 PM   #9
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

As soon as they come up with a reliable test for employers to use determining if a person is under the influence on the job I will support legalization.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #10
Rescue1
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
As soon as they come up with a reliable test for employers to use determining if a person is under the influence on the job I will support legalization.

put some munchies in the break room with a trail cam. question all those that partake
Rescue1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #11
brokeno
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Hope not
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 05:34 PM   #12
neskora
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sublime, TX

Quote:

How many people who are willing to smoke at work are abstaining from it now because itís illegal?
neskora is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 06:06 PM   #13
boblee
Six Point

Quote:

I got a question:

How do you feel, what do you think of workers that have a margarita or two, or maybe a couple of beers while at lunch?

Wait... another question:

How does anyone doing either one effect your workday - or your life in general?
Honest questions; not trying to be argumentative.

Bob Lee

Last edited by boblee; 04-16-2018 at 06:13 PM.
boblee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #14
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default Trump attempting to Legalize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblee View Post
I got a question:

How do you feel, what do you think of workers that have a margarita or two, or maybe a couple of beers while at lunch?

How does anyone doing either one affect your workday - or your life in general?

Bob Lee

Depends on the job. Wouldnít want my crane operator coming back from lunch after having a couple of margaritas. I also would want my surgeon smoking a joint then coming in to do surgery. Iím all for legalizing weed but think there should be a test in place just like with alcohol. Wouldnít want someone to think itís ok to wake and bake then roll into the office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #15
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Quote:

This is a legal mess in states that have legalized pot. The California Supreme Court ruled that an employee can be fired for using pot - even off the job - even though it is legal. Testing is problematic because unlike with alcohol it only proves you used at some point in the last couple of days. It is a real problem in pot-legal states especially since edibles became so available. Then you have the problem that some employees have a prescription for it. Insurance companies are freaking out about it. In my view an employer has a right to require no drugs or alcohol can be in your system during the workday. How is that remotely controversial ?
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #16
Strummer
Ten Point

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

If it ever gets legalized I couldnít smoke because of work . Heck now if we smoke or chew tobacco we lose our company option insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #17
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
Depends on the job. Wouldnít want my crane operator coming back from lunch after having a couple of margaritas. I also would want my surgeon smoking a joint then coming in to do surgery. Iím all for legalizing weed but think there should be a test in place just like with alcohol. Wouldnít want someone to think itís ok to wake and bake then roll into the office.

I'm sure my crew would not want me stoned while I drive them across town emergent in the fire truck. So, I'm wondering if old bob would think some people probably should not drink,smoke at work
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 06:26 PM   #18
boblee
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
Depends on the job. Wouldn’t want my crane operator coming back from lunch after having a couple of margaritas. I also would want my surgeon smoking a joint then coming in to do surgery. I’m all for legalizing weed but think there should be a test in place just like with alcohol. Wouldn’t want someone to think it’s ok to wake and bake then roll into the office.

I do agree. I'm a professional, have been throughout my working career. I'm an estimator / project manager in construction - heavy equipment, for about 20 years now. Prior to that; a design civil engineer. I can't make mistakes - or at least ****ed few.
And I enjoy a drink and a toke, have indulged in both in moderation for almost 50 years now. But not while working.

I guess my question is; if some can give a pass, a mulligan for having a drink or two during the workday, why not the other? From my simple perspective, that appears to be a double standard.

Bob Lee
Old 04-16-2018, 06:31 PM   #19
boblee
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
I'm sure my crew would not want me stoned while I drive them across town emergent in the fire truck. So, I'm wondering if old bob would think some people probably should not drink,smoke at work
Read below.
It is my belief and my practice to abstain from both while on the clock. Or while driving.

When I'm on my own time, whatever I choose to do ain't nobody's business but my own, as long as no one is harmed or endangered.

Bob Lee
Old 04-16-2018, 06:35 PM   #20
TP3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays, Val Verde co

I've been told that it's a gateway drug.
Or is it a getaway drug?
TP3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 06:37 PM   #21
TP3
Ten Point

Either way, we shouldn't be smoking drugs it sounds like.
Especially if you are driving fire trucks, operating cranes or doing open heart surgery.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:42 PM   #22
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP3 View Post
Especially if you are driving fire trucks, operating cranes or doing open heart surgery.
I dont care ifyou smoke.dope or care if it's legalized. bob, asked how it would affect someone else's job or life. We just gave a few examples.
Smoke on dope heads
Old 04-16-2018, 06:53 PM   #23
TP3
Ten Point

Hey I am just trying to summarize the discussion so far. That way the dope heads can keep up.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:02 PM   #24
batmaninja
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:

What if I pop and Oxy, zanax, quelude, or adderall, or shoot even grind it up and smoke it?

Prob shouldn't do those either, yet legal drugs kill way more people than the illegal ones. Why don't we test for them?

batmaninja is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #25
Death from Above
Pope & Young

Wall, Hiliary in jail and fix Obamacare.

This is just a “smoke” screen.

This past budget showed what type of president we have when it comes to real issues of the American people.
Death from Above is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 07:07 PM   #26
boblee
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
I dont care ifyou smoke.dope or care if it's legalized. bob, asked how it would affect someone else's job or life. We just gave a few examples.
Smoke on dope heads
Many - I'll go so far as to say most people - that enjoy a drink from time to time (or even daily) are not alcoholics. Nor are occasional marijuana partakers all "potheads".
Sadly, some will remain to forever be unclear on the concept. You're one of them.

Bob Lee
Old 04-16-2018, 07:33 PM   #27
TP3
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmaninja View Post
What if I pop and Oxy, zanax, quelude, or adderall, or shoot even grind it up and smoke it?

Prob shouldn't do those either, yet legal drugs kill way more people than the illegal ones. Why don't we test for them?

I would not suggest any heavy machinery operation, or surgery.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:39 PM   #28
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hey I am just trying to summarize the discussion so far. That way the dope heads can keep up.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:55 PM   #29
rattler03
Six Point

Hunt In: archer, val verde & hays counties

huh, wait ... I thought this was supposed to be about states rights
rattler03 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 07:59 PM   #30
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

There any drought resistant varieties? I don’t smoke, never have, but I could get on it as a new cash crop. Course you’d have to keep a night watchman to keep the teens from picking your field to nothing but seeds and stems.

It will be too expensive once big Agra starts growing GMO varieties and Uncle Sam gets his taxes out of it
Playa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 08:39 PM   #31
ladrones
Pope & Young

Seems like most cities, counties here in NM charge a 25 dollar civil tax if you donít have a medical cannabis card. As long as you have a small amount < 4 ounces or something similar.
I would think most law Enforcement has much more important stuff to deal with other than cannabis. So it probably donít even register on the radar of law Enforcement.

What is the current crime/ penalty for small amounts of cannabis in your areas?
ladrones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #32
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblee View Post
I got a question:

How does anyone doing either one effect your workday - or your life in general?
Honest questions; not trying to be argumentative.

Bob Lee
You know if they were at work with alcohol in their system the could/should be fired. We worked around high voltage, hazardous chemicals, in confined spaces, at high elevations and with large rotating machinery.
My crews needed to have their heads on straight because their health and lives depended on it.

DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 09:31 PM   #33
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Quote:

They do. Iím pretty sure if you have any of the ones listed in your system on a random pee test you would be fired without a script. If you have a script and are injured or injure someone you will have severe consequences.

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 10:26 PM   #34
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

I’ve said before, and again, my problem with legalized pot is that there is no test that can measure a persons’s “impairedness” while on pot. It’s different from an alcohol BAC measure. That’s my main hesitation against legalizing it. There is no way to regulate it once it becomes legal
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 10:33 PM   #35
Charles
Pope & Young

Doesn't the Police have a way to determine if you're "on the pot" during a traffic stop now?
Charles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 10:46 PM   #36
ladrones
Pope & Young

Quote:
Doesn't the Police have a way to determine if you're "on the pot" during a traffic stop now?
Nothing that holds water in court.
ladrones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 08:16 AM   #37
jer_james
Ten Point

Quote:
Time will tell.

My thoughts as well - probably very few actually in jail for personal use. That's also why I believe it may be easier to get them out if there are any.

Hardly anyone on most levels are in for a certain specific incident. Usually a trail of charges.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:20 AM   #38
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
I've been told that it's a gateway drug.
Or is it a getaway drug?
If you mean a gateway to awesomeness then yes by all means
Old 04-17-2018, 08:27 AM   #39
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
My thoughts as well - probably very few actually in jail for personal use. That's also why I believe it may be easier to get them out if there are any.

Hardly anyone on most levels are in for a certain specific incident. Usually a trail of charges.
The simple possession thing works like this and I know because a friend from HS went this route and is still wanted in the state of TX but Cali wont follow extradition for pot related crimes for simple possession.

1. Gets caught with a joint/personal amount of marijuana
2. Is sentenced to probation that includes drug testing (states make millions off of probation) but fails a test for smoking A joint so is arrested and put in jail
3. Is released on probation and again must take drug tests. Smokes a joint and fails and goes back to jail

4. Is released on probation and feels like having a joint so moves to Cali and throws the deuce at Texas.

Point is basically as far as the law was concerned here my friend was in and out of prison at a felony level for what is known to be personal use amounts. It definitely does happen.

Last edited by J Sweet; 04-17-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:49 AM   #40
jer_james
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sweet View Post
The simple possession thing works like this and I know because a friend from HS went this route and is still wanted in the state of TX but Cali wont follow extradition for pot related crimes for simple possession.

1. Gets caught with a joint/personal amount of marijuana
2. Is sentenced to probation that includes drug testing (states make millions off of probation) but fails a test for smoking A joint so is arrested and put in jail
3. Is released on probation and again must take drug tests. Smokes a joint and fails and goes back to jail

4. Is released on probation and feels like having a joint so moves to Cali and throws the deuce at Texas.

Point is basically as far as the law was concerned here my friend was in and out of prison at a felony level for what is known to be personal use amounts. It definitely does happen.
Taxpayer money well spent
Old 04-17-2018, 08:54 AM   #41
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Taxpayer money well spent
Even worse is Texas considers hash and extracts to not be marijuana by law and carries an even harsher sentence than flower. Its the same drug (THC) from the same plant but these idiots will actually put someone in prison for years for less than a joint. Absolutely disgusting. We are either a society of free persons or we are not. Which is it?

http://norml.org/laws/item/texas-penalties-2
Old 04-17-2018, 09:01 AM   #42
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Even worse is Texas considers hash and extracts to not be marijuana by law and carries an even harsher sentence than flower. Its the same drug (THC) from the same plant but these idiots will actually put someone in prison for years for less than a joint. Absolutely disgusting. We are either a society of free persons or we are not. Which is it?

We are not.

Not as long as I am forced to buy other people's health insurance.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 09:24 AM   #43
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
We are not.

Not as long as I am forced to buy other people's health insurance.
Haha, you aint lyin! It was somewhat rhetorical. We are by no means a free people here.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #44
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

The problem we have now is no one can take care of themselves. Yet most are unwilling to let others go without food, insurance etc. Doesn't make sense to me other than people are stupid.

Once the crap hits the fan people will be forced to take care of themselves. I hope I'm around to see it.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 10:58 AM   #45
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:

We stopped being a society of free persons the second we decided the Gov. knows how to take care of us better than we do.
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 11:01 AM   #46
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Thank you!! Y'all were starting to lose me there.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 11:34 AM   #47
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Quote:

I dont know about criminally, but every employer I have had in that I can recall does indeed test for those drugs. When it comes up positive if you dont provide a prescription you are terminated.
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 11:44 AM   #48
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket View Post
I dont know about criminally, but every employer I have had in that I can recall does indeed test for those drugs. When it comes up positive if you dont provide a prescription you are terminated.
I'm pretty sure that is some sort of violation of HIPAA.... could be wrong..but dont see how it wouldn't be. Its not against the law to take those drugs.. might be company policy to not operate equipment while on them..but asking if you are on them without some sort of justifiable cause... maybe?

Quote:
Questions regarding prescription drug use may be considered a medical-related inquiry under the ADA. Therefore, employer inquiries regarding the use of prescription medications may be prohibited under the ADA in all but a few circumstances.

The EEOC has issued guidance explaining the exceptions to the medical inquiries limitations. The guidance states that in general, employers may not ask all employees about the prescription drugs they take. Asking all employees about their use of prescription drugs is rarely job-related and consistent with business necessity. Therefore, only a handful of occupations will be able to demonstrate that prescription-related inquiries would be job-related and consistent with business necessity. The example the EEOC provides is police officers. In occupations of this type, because of the significant safety risk involved with the use of certain prescription medications, employers may be able to demonstrate that asking employees about their prescription drug use is job-related and consistent with business necessity. Conversely, administrative positions such as accountants, information technology professionals, administrative assistants, human resource professionals and most management positions would not face significant job-related safety risks associated with side effects caused by prescription medications.

Last edited by systemnt; 04-17-2018 at 11:49 AM.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 09:17 AM   #49
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:

you'll just work harder if you take adderall
AZST_bowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #50
batmaninja
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Personally I would prefer my surgeon to be on adderall, truck drivers to be on as much caffeine and nicotine as possible, and my hometown NFL team to be on as much of the pot as they can handle. Lots of people are on the drugs these days, illegal ones and legal ones.

Obama released 1,000s of drug related criminals, dont know what it would be any different with Trump.
batmaninja is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top