Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 04-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #1
91cavgt
Ten Point

Default Which pistols should I look at?

For the last 6 years I have carried a sub compact 9mm Keltec PF9. I have never had a problem out of this pistol but I have now put about 800 rounds down it and I’m looking in a few months to upgrade. The PF9 is not a fun gun to shoot since it is so light weight, and it only holds 7+1 rounds.

So I am looking for a larger pistol, but not a full size(like the 1911) because for a guy I have small hands, and I’m only 5’6” so it would be difficult for me to conceal a full size pistol.

I want to stay with a 9mm so I can have a larger capacity magazine vs a 40 or 45. Preferably I want something that holds 10 rounds minimum(more would be better).

Looking online, the Sig P320 looks decent as does the Beretta PX4. Are there any other recommendations for me to look at when I go looking at a brick and mortar store?
91cavgt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
Yelladog
Ten Point

CZ P10C has really good trigger and good size this is what went with when I sold my 19. The M&P 2.0 compact feels really good to but I havnt shot one yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yelladog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #3
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelladog View Post
CZ P10C has really good trigger and good size this is what went with when I sold my 19. The M&P 2.0 compact feels really good to but I havnt shot one yet.

^^^^This or the FN 509 or the Sig P320. All three have four inch barrels and 15+ round capacity. I'm trying to decide which one of these I'm getting myself.

Last edited by SabreKiller; 04-13-2018 at 11:08 AM.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 10:43 AM   #4
WTucker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mauriceville

Glock 19
WTucker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 10:53 AM   #5
ckamp52
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for a drama free lease...if it exists anymore

I like the walther pps or pps m2. I have both and would probably go regular pps since it has interchangeable back grips and different length clips to adjust to your grip. I don't have big hands and they fit like a glove compared to the blockier pistols
ckamp52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #6
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Sig P365 looks like it would be exactly what you are looking for. I really like my XDS but have been wanting to get a s&w shield.

westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #7
QuackHunter
Six Point

CZ P10C or the M&P 2.0 Compact. Also checkout the CZ P-07

QuackHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #8
Alemana
Spike

Hunt In: Benavides

I have the PX4 and love it.
Alemana is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #9
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
^^^^This or the FN 509 or the Sig P320. All three have four inch barrels and 15+ round capacity. I'm trying to decide which one of these I'm getting myself.
Agree.
JLivi1224 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #10
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuackHunter View Post
CZ P10C or the M&P 2.0 Compact. Also checkout the CZ P-07

P07 another solid one!!
JLivi1224 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #11
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

You might want to look at the newest Sig, the P365. About the same size as a Shield or G43, but with a 10 round capacity. I carry a Shield, but I'm thinking on this one pretty hard. Now, what to do with all the .40 ammo I have.........
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #12
yotethumper
Six Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

I am 5' 6" and can carry a full sized handgun. It is all about your holster and your carry belt. I carry appendix with a kydex holster.

I would absolutely look at the MP 2.0 Compact, I love mine and it is my current EDC. I think for the price its the best compact carry gun on the market. I would also look at the Sig P365.

Glock 19 is also a great choice. There are tons of options for 9mm compact carry guns in 9mm. I've pretty much shot them all, and the MP 2.0 Compact is my favorite.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 03:21 PM   #13
RJH1
Eight Point

Xd subcompact, glock26, or something in that size. the glock holds 10 I think, the xd holds 13, and both can have a full size mag with sleeve installed for 16 to 33 rounds. I guess 15 to 33 rounds if you add in the mid size mags. A tremendous amount of versatility in a carry gun, that with the addition of a full size grip makes a fun range gun and nightstand gun. After realizing what all they can do, I don't see why people buy anything else for carry, except maybe a deep concealment type pistol
RJH1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #14
Jared.King
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eden, TX and Yoakum County

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ghlight=shield
Jared.King is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 05:57 PM   #15
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

The Sig P365 would be worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #16
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

The sig 365 does look good, good idea, but a lot of guys are having issues with theirs. FTF, FTE. A lot of videos about it also. Glock 43 would be my choice, my not have everything you are looking for, but reliable, easy to conceal, comfortable to carry.
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 06:01 PM   #17
icetrauma
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
If you can find the P320 Carry, that is the one for ya. Compact barrel but full size magazine.

OP...check out the Sig P365.
icetrauma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 06:03 PM   #18
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Check out the Springfield XD. Helluva pistol.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 06:08 PM   #19
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
You might want to look at the newest Sig, the P365. About the same size as a Shield or G43, but with a 10 round capacity. I carry a Shield, but I'm thinking on this one pretty hard. Now, what to do with all the .40 ammo I have.........
How much you got?
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #20
Hooverfb
Eight Point

Cz, fn509, etc are good balances. I personally love my ruger sr9c, and like having the 17 rd mag and 10. Plus ruger has taken good care of me.
Had a situation this week, luckily did not need to draw, but sure was glad to have 17+1 ready to go..
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 08:55 PM   #21
cajuntec
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nowhere for now... Just moved!

Quote:
I'm in the same boat. I was going to put my Xdm-40 up for sale in order to get a new 9mm, but then I looked at all the .40 ammo I have stocked up on over the years.... and changed my mind.

I need to shoot it a lot more often, or start selling off all this .40 cal ammo or trading for 9mm.

... but then there are the .40 cal dies, the reloading brass, the projectiles, the powder....

Yeah, I keep talking myself out of it.

All the best,
Glenn
cajuntec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 09:10 PM   #22
Hooverfb
Eight Point

Also i know i said the fn 509, but check out the fs9c. Similar to my ruger sr9c but FN.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:20 PM   #23
Stan R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison and Colorado County

Glock 26 with 19 magazines. Compact with 16 rounds.

Glock 43 with a + 4 extension. single stack with 11 rounds..

I have both.
Stan R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 09:22 PM   #24
Lawhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter69 View Post
The sig 365 does look good, good idea, but a lot of guys are having issues with theirs. FTF, FTE. A lot of videos about it also. Glock 43 would be my choice, my not have everything you are looking for, but reliable, easy to conceal, comfortable to carry.
Bought one recently after Sig resumed shipping. They made some modifications to fix the issues and I have zero complaints so far.
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 09:37 PM   #25
wsteffen
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jewitt, TX or any where else I can find to go

I'll catch a lot ot hi's for this, but a good carry is the Ruger LC9s. Dependable and a reasonable price, Let's face it, any carry gun that is carried is going to get a lot of wear and tear. Why buy a $600 Sig when a $300 gun will do the same. This from a person that has and loves Colt 1911's and Glocks.
wsteffen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 09:43 PM   #26
meangreen04
Eight Point

Can’t go wrong with a Glock 19 or 26. The CZ p10C and FN 509 would be the next ones on the list but the mags and aftermarket accessories are either more expensive or less available.
meangreen04 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 09:45 PM   #27
tdwinklr
Eight Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemana View Post
I have the PX4 and love it.
me too, felt better in my hand than most of the other higher priced guns, except for the Sigs.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 10:57 PM   #28
91cavgt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsteffen View Post
I'll catch a lot ot hi's for this, but a good carry is the Ruger LC9s. Dependable and a reasonable price, Let's face it, any carry gun that is carried is going to get a lot of wear and tear. Why buy a $600 Sig when a $300 gun will do the same. This from a person that has and loves Colt 1911's and Glocks.
My Keltec PF9 is VERY similar to the LC9. This is a couple of reasons why I’m looking at a better pistol.

1. Age and wear/tear. I have carried my PF9 every day(literally) for the last 6 years and it shows. Factor in the range time and about 800 rounds put down the pipe and it is time for a replacement.

2. Accuracy. At less than 7 yards my PF9 is pretty accurate, but anything 10+ yards and it is VERY difficult to hit due to the long trigger pull(due to no safety) and a short barrel. With my wife’s Sig P238 (I make sure she always has a nice pistol) I can reliably hit at 10 yards due to a MUCH better trigger. My goal with a new pistol is to combine a better trigger with a longer barrel and reduced recoil to reliably hit at 25+ yards.

3. Round count. You have never, nor will you ever hear anyone who has had to use their firearm for defensive purposes say “I just had too many rounds.” Right now I always carry 2 extra magazines, plus one in the pistol and one round in the chamber for a total of 22 rounds. It sure would be nice to only carry 1 extra mag.

I think I’m gonna have to make a trip to College Station to visit Champion and test fire quit a few pistols. Y’all confirmed a couple of pistols I have been eyeing and gave some new ones to look into. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:03 PM   #29
Hooverfb
Eight Point

Yeah lc9s are good, but honestly i just feel like they're too small of a gun ( for the reasons you've pointed out with the pf9). Not bad if it's all you can carry, but try to carry as much gun as you can honestly. During that situation this week i mentioned, another guy that stopped and had his at the ready had a similar sized gun (as the 16+ capacity guns mentioned above) in an offbody style holster that looked like a binoculars harness. We were all dressed in business casual but armed and confident enough to intervene in the situation without yet knowing the full details of the situation (is it one teenager, or is it 4 adult males, etc).

I should clarify that one of the reasons not knowing the details matters, is normally we think of <7 yards for self defense. But in this case it was in defense of others and so suddenly running from 30 yds to 15 yds hands ready while assessing makes your accuracy with a light pistol very difficult. I never expected to be in this situation in a million years but it opened my eyes and was glad i was confident with what I had.

Last edited by Hooverfb; 04-13-2018 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-13-2018, 11:34 PM   #30
Gummi Bear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comanche & Eastland

I carry a Glock 43, with +2 mag extensions. I’m only 5’7”, carry it basically at my kidney. Mag extension not only gives extra rounds, but also a place for my pinky, which gives me a lot more comfortable grip, and control.

My Dad carries a Glock 19

My Brother carries a CZ75 Compact

All are really fantastic and reliable.

I’ve shot hundreds of rounds through each of them, and like them all. The 43 is relatively new to me, only put a few thousand rounds through it so far.
Gummi Bear is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2018, 12:22 AM   #31
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Sell it and use the money to buy the P365....
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2018, 12:36 AM   #32
ZZ Pops
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooverfb View Post
Cz, fn509, etc are good balances. I personally love my ruger sr9c, and like having the 17 rd mag and 10. Plus ruger has taken good care of me.
Had a situation this week, luckily did not need to draw, but sure was glad to have 17+1 ready to go..

I like the SR9c as well and don't think it gets the notice it should - mid- size, easy to control, great capacity, and maybe the best trigger on a polymer framed pistol. Reasonably priced, too.
ZZ Pops is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #33
marshhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pineland, Tx; Where the ducks are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooverfb View Post
Yeah lc9s are good, but honestly i just feel like they're too small of a gun ( for the reasons you've pointed out with the pf9). Not bad if it's all you can carry, but try to carry as much gun as you can honestly. During that situation this week i mentioned, another guy that stopped and had his at the ready had a similar sized gun (as the 16+ capacity guns mentioned above) in an offbody style holster that looked like a binoculars harness. We were all dressed in business casual but armed and confident enough to intervene in the situation without yet knowing the full details of the situation (is it one teenager, or is it 4 adult males, etc).

I should clarify that one of the reasons not knowing the details matters, is normally we think of <7 yards for self defense. But in this case it was in defense of others and so suddenly running from 30 yds to 15 yds hands ready while assessing makes your accuracy with a light pistol very difficult. I never expected to be in this situation in a million years but it opened my eyes and was glad i was confident with what I had.

Care to expand on the situation?

marshhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #34
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

I carry a Glock 23, but its in .40. I believe the equivalent in 9 is the G22. Its the midsize model. The 23 mags hold 13 rounds. Nor sure about the G22 9's, but its at least one more.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #35
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

I really like my P938 but I put my hands on a 365 the other day at the Hoffpauir Expo and I gotta say I want one bad. It fits my hand perfectly and I can hardly believe it holds 12+1.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 09:59 AM   #36
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

I have a springfield xd sub compact I'll sell you, comes with all the original xd gear in the box and a cross breed super tuck holster. 9mm and holds either 13 or 17 depending on what mag you use

I like it but I haven't carried it in about a year, have been using my 1911 or revolver lately
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 10:02 AM   #37
clayree
Six Point

I always lean toward Glock, as I love their dependability. That is my go-to carry weapon (either the 23 if clothes will permit, or if not my 42).
clayree is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 08:34 PM   #38
91cavgt
Ten Point

There is a guy at church that swears by the reliability of Glocks. The funny part, and scary at the same time, is every time we go to the range he has more FTE and FTF than everybody else combined. But it is not due to a faulty Glock. It is due to his limp wrist method of holding the pistol which “feels comfortable” for him.

My point is as long as you take your firearm to the range on a regular basis then you will find out really fast if it is reliable or not. This is the big reason why I have put 800 rounds through my PF9. All of the major brands are reliable, after you break it in and find out what ammo it likes.

With all of that being said, I’ll make my decision after I go to Champions and fire several pistols back to back.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #39
BTGuard
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iowa

I love my walther ppq, but would look hard at the m&p mod 2 sub compact if I were starting over. They fit my hand well, and if you can conceal them you get 16 rounds.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
BTGuard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 09:06 PM   #40
Lethal Injection
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nowhere, her lawyer was better

I carry a Springfield XDS 40 and now with a good holster/belt from Tucker Gunleather it is probably the most comfortable I have carried and accuracy is pretty good.
Lethal Injection is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 09:37 PM   #41
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan R View Post
Glock 26 with 19 magazines. Compact with 16 rounds.

Glock 43 with a + 4 extension. single stack with 11 rounds..

I have both.
So the 26 is as tall as the g19 with a crappy grip when the 19 mags are in use? Lol.
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 09:23 AM   #42
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
So the 26 is as tall as the g19 with a crappy grip when the 19 mags are in use? Lol.
Yeah I didn't get that either.

OP just go put your hands on a bunch and shoot as many as you can. It's kind of hard to go wrong these days. I've pretty much settled on a Glock 26 and 19 for carry. I've never had the attraction to smaller single stack pistols since the above mentioned are easy to conceal, have capacity and you still feel like you're holding a gun. Most of the time I find myself carrying the 26 OWB.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 05:26 PM   #43
Stan R
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post

Glock 26 with Glock 19 magazines.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:28 PM   #44
Stan R
Pope & Young

Quote:

Old 04-17-2018, 09:06 PM   #45
Txfire409
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin County, Big Thicket NP, Moore Plantation

Glock 26 or Taurus PT111 Gen 2
Txfire409 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 10:18 PM   #46
RJH1
Eight Point

Quote:
I didn't get what was hard to understand about your post either. Same thing I suggested earlier in the thread
RJH1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top