Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
Hughiam
Ten Point

Default fire ant bite

It seems Im mildly allergic to everything that bites. Mosquitos tend to welt up about the 1/4 size of a golf ball. So a reaction to a fire ant bite was expected.

I got bit in May by ONE of those little cusses and my ankle swelled up to nearly a softball size. Eventually went away, I took benedryl etc.

I got bit again, same ankle yesterday. I felt it, pulled the little $%^&& off me and squished him. Today, my ankle is swelling and the bite area is actually got a blister on it about 3/8" around and filled with water(it looks like a second degree burn blister).

Anyone else go through this and what do you do for them? This is rediculously itchy and painful, and Im kinda worried that eventually Ill develop a real allergy and vapor lock. It happened to a coworker of mine back in MI with spiders. He ended up in the hospital and was told if he ever got bit again his heart might stop.
Hughiam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #2
billfromtx
Pope & Young

I'm the same way Bro...Carry a Eri-pen in your truck! If you get bee stung you could vapor Lock!
billfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2010, 12:38 AM   #3
Tubby
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County & The Diamond C!

yup, you're having an allergic reaction. Call your family doctor and let him know and ask for an Epi Pen prescription. The only bad thing about an Epi pen is it has to be stored at room temperature. So you can't leave it in your glove box in your truck in 100 degree heat, etc. My brother is highly allergic to bee and wasp stings and he carries one wherever he goes.
Tubby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2010, 04:48 AM   #4
skeeter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Kimble and Colorado Counties

take a benydril (sp?) and rub ban roll on the bite.
skeeter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Good lord - I'd say your a very allergic. Get an epipen and keep it with you. You might need it if you get stung by a bee or wasp.

You might build up a tolerance to them, but they will always itch and get that little blister thing. I get bit about once a week or two, now the bites are about an 1/8" in diameter and within hours the little blister pops up. I generally break the blister and the itching seems to go away after that.

You can also put vitamin E oil directly on it. It stops the itching and heals faster.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
Captrix
Pope & Young

Keep an Epi pen with you and know how to use it. I just picked up mine last week...my old ones expired, I'm so glad i havent had to use it. They come in a 2 pack and there is also a practice "pen" that comes with it. make sure you know how to use it and show your kids/family members how to use it. I've also heard that putting vanilla on the bite helps take the sting out but I've never tried it.
Captrix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
skeeter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Kimble and Colorado Counties

just curious, but wouldnt an epi pen only be good if you are highly allergic and are at risk of anaphilactic shock?
skeeter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
El Coyote
Banned!!!

without pics it didnt happen...just saying...
El Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #9
Momma D
Six Point

Hunt In: Montgomery Co., Colorado Co., Junction,

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
just curious, but wouldnt an epi pen only be good if you are highly allergic and are at risk of anaphilactic shock?
Yes sir, Drenalinjunkie has to carry one due to him being highly allergic to any kind of bee sting.

But you should go to the ER or your family doctor & let them check it out.
Momma D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
gofish24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas

my 2 year old son is the same way. poor guy got bit saturday and he looks like he has no ankle right now. he also swells up from mosquito bites, just not as bad. it has to hurt but the little guy plays on. looks like i need to do a little more research into this and get him to the doc to talk about precautions and what we need to do in the future.
gofish24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
Captrix
Pope & Young

Quote:
its an epinephrine injection.

Here I found this to explain it:

Quote:
Why is this medication prescribed?

Epinephrine injection is used to treat life-threatening allergic reactions caused by insect bites, foods, medications, latex, and other causes. Symptoms of allergic reaction include wheezing, shortness of breath, low blood pressure, hives, itching, swelling, stomach cramps, diarrhea, and loss of bladder control. Epinephrine is in a class of medications called sympathomimetic agents. It works by relaxing the muscles in the airways and tightening the blood vessels.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #12
DrenalinJunkie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nebraska, Montgomery Co., Colorado Co.

Quote:

Epinephrine injection is used to treat life-threatening allergic reactions caused by insect bites, foods, medications, latex, and other causes. Symptoms of allergic reaction include wheezing, shortness of breath, low blood pressure, hives, itching, swelling, stomach cramps, diarrhea, and loss of bladder control. Epinephrine is in a class of medications called sympathomimetic agents. It works by relaxing the muscles in the airways and tightening the blood vessels.
This would be anaphilactic shock

Last edited by DrenalinJunkie; 07-05-2010 at 10:47 AM.
DrenalinJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #13
slayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Knox & Palo Pinto County

my son does the same thing. Mosquito bites swell up, ant bites get big and puffy. he got bit by fire ants @ boy scout camp and had blisters on his toes that were oozing. Two benadryl and ivy off and he was good to go. Swelling went down immediately. I would be slow to go to a epi pen unless the Dr. tells you need it.
slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #14
kurt68
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montgomery Co. and Rocksprings and "H"

My daughter swells up like a quarter size bite from ants or mosquito's. Chiggerex and they stop swelling and itching almost immediately.
Attached Images

kurt68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #15
Captrix
Pope & Young

[quote=DrenalinJunkie;2638401]
Quote:

Epinephrine injection is used to treat life-threatening allergic reactions caused by insect bites, foods, medications, latex, and other causes. Symptoms of allergic reaction include wheezing, shortness of breath, low blood pressure, hives, itching, swelling, stomach cramps, diarrhea, and loss of bladder control. Epinephrine is in a class of medications called sympathomimetic agents. It works by relaxing the muscles in the airways and tightening the blood vessels.[quote/]

This would be anaphilactic shock
yes, life threatening. Its not to be used for a swollen ankle, I've been bit 3 times by fire ants, each time was worse and I had more swelling. Doc said the next time I could have breathing difficulties, same thing if i get stung by a bee. People just need to use common sense as to when to use it. My mom keeps one in her first aid kit and she doesnt have any bad allergic reactions to stings or bites but you never know who might need it.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #16
slayer
Pope & Young

Kurt68,
Where did you get the ChiggereX?
Old 07-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #17
MKD12
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

I got an ant bite while I was mowing my grandfathers lawn. You know what he gave me for it? Get ready for this you wont believe it...

It worked like a champ. The itching went away immediately and there was no swelling, and I'm allergic to bites and stings also. I used it right after the bite, so maybe that's why it worked so well, but it's worth a try!
MKD12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #18
DrenalinJunkie
Pope & Young

go to the doctor and get yourself tested. Thats the only true way to know if you need to carry an Epi Pen.....

I had never needed one in the past but got stung and in a matter of about an hour the skin on my arm was stretched so tight it was about to split. Been toteing one around since that day.

If you are still up and alive, chances are a topical ointment or Benadryl will work but get checked anyway.

With me, I can get stung on the bottom of the foot and before I got to a medical facility my airway could be cut off completely.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #19
DrenalinJunkie
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKD12 View Post
I got an ant bite while I was mowing my grandfathers lawn. You know what he gave me for it? Get ready for this you wont believe it...

It worked like a champ. The itching went away immediately and there was no swelling, and I'm allergic to bites and stings also. I used it right after the bite, so maybe that's why it worked so well, but it's worth a try!
Works for more things than people know.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #20
kurt68
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montgomery Co. and Rocksprings and "H"

Slayer, we get it at Wal-mart. I think you can get it almost anywhere though. It works great on my daughters, we don't leave home without it.
kurt68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #21
slayer
Pope & Young

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #22
HCON3
Four Point

My son is the same way and he can't go to the woods without Benedryl liquid
and Cortaid. Had to use the same on Bird dog last year after Honey Bee sting.
HCON3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #23
toddblue68
Six Point

Hunt In: TX

Quote:
skeeter,

an epi pen will work whether you are highly allergic or not. The issue is that if you are highly allergic, you could have your airway swell and block breathing due to a reaction to a bit/sting. If you don't have severe reactions, the an epi pen is not needed. You never know when a bee or ant is going to be so unkind as to bite/sting in your upper torso or facial area. Severe swelling there can be life threatening if not treated quickly.
toddblue68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #24
Reckless Cheri
Ten Point

As everyone else has already stated, and Epi pen. When you first get bit initially you can make a paste out of baking soda and put it on the site. The baking soda will draw out the "poison" so to speak.
Reckless Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #25
rem788
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

A guy at work does the same thing. He had an ant bite on his knee that had been there for 2 months. He kept having to go to the doctor to get it lanced to get all the infection out. Finally they put him on atibiotics and that cleared it up. Meanwhile he just took benadryl.
rem788 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #26
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I have a food allergy so we have two epi-pens here at the house. Allergic reactions tend to increase everytime they are triggered.
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #27
Hughiam
Ten Point

Thanks everyone, I have a cankle on my left leg and a regular ankle on the right!
Hughiam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 05:44 AM   #28
John123john
Nubbin' Buck

Default Who try to use this mixture?

Anyone try to use mixture of baked soda and water to treat bites?
John123john is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 06:10 AM   #29
Turtlewax
Eight Point

Hunt In: SE Oklahoma

John you just may win the TBH award......for bumping the longest thread ever! lol
Turtlewax is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 07:42 AM   #30
cva34
Eight Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

SOrry to hear ..never heard of Fire ants that sever...I have a pasture across fence and Fire ants are a real issue..I fight them in yard all the warmer months..If I had to use a epipen every time I got bit I WOULD BE BROKE . Quick and probably average a bite a day..sure some day I don't go in yard..but then I end up next day with a pants leg full..But to me the sting is a little more than a Mosquito..and bump if any on either is like a small pimple.
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 08:50 PM   #31
GA Bowhunter
Four Point

Hunt In: Tree/blind/ground

I feel for you guys. I get bit by fire ants 10 times or so a week.
Up until a few years ago it wasn't bad. When I got my new place it seems like I have stronger ants. They actually make you feel like the bite area is on fire.
GA Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 10:16 PM   #32
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

You guys do realize this is an 8 YEAR OLD THREAD, right?
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 10:19 PM   #33
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
You guys do realize this is an 8 YEAR OLD THREAD, right?
But fireants aren't extinct????
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #34
GarrettH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera

Has the swelling gone down? is there an update?
GarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 08:19 AM   #35
Double-O-Dave
Eight Point

My suggestion is to see your doctor, explain the situation to him/her and ask for a prescription for a topical steroidal cream. OTC cortisone is not going to help you with a reaction as you describe. If you are not having problems with breathing, or breaking out in hives, I doubt you need an Epi-pen. Fire ant bites are nasty, the next time you are bitten, I'd get ice on the bite as soon as possible, and apply the steroidal cream, and take the Benadryl caps.

Good luck,

Dave
Double-O-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 05:32 PM   #36
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

This is what works for me:
*Mitigator Sting & Bite...apply to ANY insect bite immediately (Amazon best place to buy.) My military son keeps this with him on deployments. Scrub and most of the time pain & itching goes away within seconds.
*Get a prescription for TRIAMCINOLONE ACETONIDE CREAM. Generic form is cheap and it takes care of the "later stages" of itching and swelling. Works GREAT.

The 2nd suggestion for the cream was what my physician prescribed after a Bee sting that swelled my ear up big time. Only took 1 day for the swelling to go down and quit bothering me. He also prescribed an Epi pen, but I have a paramedic background and WON'T use it unless I know possible anaphylaxis...what it is intended for and not just severe NON-allergic stings/bites. Anaphylaxis comes on quickly and is a true severe allergic reaction which can result in death....NOT to treat the "itching."

Again....EPI pens are meant to "prevent" the condition of Anaphylaxis (respiratory shut down, cardiac arrhythmias, etc.....it will KILL you."

Feel your pain but as suggested....talk to your physician!!
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 07:20 PM   #37
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
But fireants aren't extinct????
No but Hughiam moved to Alaska 5 years ago to get away from fire ants so he "solved" his problem...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 07:21 PM   #38
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

*****.... Now that's a man who hates fire ants right there!
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 08:01 PM   #39
Gherkin05
Eight Point

Hunt In: NM,CO,TX

Anyone used MSG powder mixed into a paste with water and applied to the bite? I recently was told this is the ticket. Haven’t tried it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Gherkin05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 08:49 PM   #40
ON THE EDGE
Ten Point

Hunt In: Banquete, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughiam View Post
It seems Im mildly allergic to everything that bites. Mosquitos tend to welt up about the 1/4 size of a golf ball. So a reaction to a fire ant bite was expected.

I got bit in May by ONE of those little cusses and my ankle swelled up to nearly a softball size. Eventually went away, I took benedryl etc.

I got bit again, same ankle yesterday. I felt it, pulled the little $%^&& off me and squished him. Today, my ankle is swelling and the bite area is actually got a blister on it about 3/8" around and filled with water(it looks like a second degree burn blister).

Anyone else go through this and what do you do for them? This is rediculously itchy and painful, and Im kinda worried that eventually Ill develop a real allergy and vapor lock. It happened to a coworker of mine back in MI with spiders. He ended up in the hospital and was told if he ever got bit again his heart might stop.

Here’s how it works....

Let’s say you get bit and your mildly allergic. You body sends a rush of “good guys” to attack the “bad guy”.

Being the super tough guy your body is, it says “I ain’t putting up with that nonsense again.” So the next time you get bit, your body sends a whole platoon. Go in their and squash the bad guy quickly! Hence the greater reaction.

The problem lies in that your “good guys” don’t know they’re hurting you too! So what happens next is “The Donald”. You get bit, and Don shows up and says, “I’m in charge!” He sends the whole dang military in an attempt to kill em all and let God sort them out. Problem is, some of those missles hit you and now your fighting for your life.

There’s some big medical words to describe all that, but I was never smart enough to remember them. This last part is where an epic pen comes in. But like these guys said, you need to get some tests done. You can’t fight something the right way if you don’t know what it is. Good luck!! The ants don’t like me either! My dad is deadly allergic to bees, but they don’t seem to bother me.
ON THE EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top