double low fence = high fence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the landowner on the little place in refugio I hunt just put up a new low fence that is about 2 feet inside of the previous low fence. Does anyone have any experience seeing if deer will jump this? I've seen a deer jump a high fence before so I know they *can* do anything... but on a regular basis, will they, or did I effectively just get the pinche neighbors that shoot all the 2 year old deer high fenced off?

thats interesting, hope it works in your favor.

i have heard all about the HF jumping deer, still cant wrap my small brain around it. does anyone have video of this?

while you are at it, anyone with videos of a hog killing a deer, a domestic dog killing a cow, or a hog attacking a person?

just curious.

Comment

I bet they can jump it. But it also sounds like something they could get tangled up in pretty easy also!

Comment

We had the same situation in Fredericksburg and the deer cleared it fine although most of the time it was on the run. Any reason as to why? I've heard of people doing this to keep pigs out especially in that area. I've hunted outside of Woodsburo (sp?) And the Russian pigs there were brutal.

Comment

I'm with shake n bake. Bet that'll be a problem, especially with young deer

Comment

I don't think they will have a problem jumping it or at least trying to. I'm sure there will be a lot more hangups though.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
              thats interesting, hope it works in your favor.

i have heard all about the HF jumping deer, still cant wrap my small brain around it. does anyone have video of this?

while you are at it, anyone with videos of a hog killing a deer, a domestic dog killing a cow, or a hog attacking a person?

just curious.
              I was on the way back from the lease one day out in Kempner and was headed back towards Waco. There was a high fence place that had miniature cows on the right hand side of the road and it was all open field on the left. There was a young buck on the right hand side of the road (on the high fence side) as I came driving down the road. He ran straight down the road and I figured he would eventually run across the road to the open field...but nope. He turned to the right and hopped straight over in too the high fence section and never touched the wire. Craziest thing I've ever seen a deer do.

Comment

I doubt a double low fence is as effective as a high fence for deer. It dang sure won't work for hogs and other varmints. However, we have used double electric fences with different levels of wire when protecting food plots until they mature. While deer could easily jump a low electric fence, the theory is that the different levels of wire on two fences messes with their depth perception and makes them hesitant to try to jump it. However, that probably doesn't apply when a deer is on the run--since they can jump just about anything when motivated.

Comment

I fenced in a feeder a while back and made it small. Deer never went in but ate everything outside the pen. We have a deer problem around my house and we fenced our garden that is about 5 feet wide and 30 feet long. The deer will eat everything in the back yard, but not in the garden, even though it would be easy to jump in. They hate narow spaces.

Comment

I seen this happen to a friend of mines place....We would find dead deer hung up on a regular basis. It was pretty sad. I guess the neighbor spaced the two fences too far apart. We would also find fawns that got in between the two fences and couldnt find their way out. That went on for a few years then the neighbor tore that down and high fenced it, instead.

Comment

They did it so they didn't have to pull the old fence up that had mesquite roots and trunks wrapped up all in the fencing. There was no agenda to "high fence" that side of the ranch.

Comment

Sounds to me like a bad spot for a bunch of deer to get hung up. Hope I am wrong on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by plentl65 View Post
                          I was on the way back from the lease one day out in Kempner and was headed back towards Waco. There was a high fence place that had miniature cows on the right hand side of the road and it was all open field on the left. There was a young buck on the right hand side of the road (on the high fence side) as I came driving down the road. He ran straight down the road and I figured he would eventually run across the road to the open field...but nope. He turned to the right and hopped straight over in too the high fence section and never touched the wire. Craziest thing I've ever seen a deer do.
                          I saw something similar, but the 2.5yo buck kept crashing into the HF trying to squeeze through the holes. Actually resembled a cat fight with all the hair flying. While I have a lot of faith in and admiration for WT's, jumping a HF is RARE.

As far as a double fence, I would be willing to bet that they navigate that fine, unless they can't see both of them before they take flight.

Comment

I am assuming he built the new fence because the other one was is very poor shape? If so, there are probably plenty of spots/areas where the old fence has loose or missing wire. The deer will find the easiest place to cross the new barricade. Most of our deer go under the fences rather than over anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by HNT ETX View Post
                              I saw something similar, but the 2.5yo buck kept crashing into the HF trying to squeeze through the holes. Actually resembled a cat fight with all the hair flying. While I have a lot of faith in and admiration for WT's, jumping a HF is RARE.

As far as a double fence, I would be willing to bet that they navigate that fine, unless they can't see both of them before they take flight.
                              I agree with the rarity, I don't think he would have ever done it if he wasn't pressured and "scared".

Comment

Working...
                              X