Old School Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old School Turkey

this year the Turkeys were exceptionally hard on me. it was 1 hang up after the next. and as far as i could tell they just hated my blind, decoys and calling. Saturday I went out for the evening hunt trying to kill a pig with out a single thought of a turkey. at 17:00 i settled in to a chair next to a big low slung oak tree surrounded with a few bushes that was near a feeder. the ground blind had been removed for the off season but the oak canopy and the few bushes made for a nicely shadowed natural blind with plenty of openings to see what was going on in any direction as well as windows to shoot thru.. not very well hid but the shadows and night fall coming i figured the pigs shouldnt see me. after a few minutes i heard a faint gobble about 200 yards away across a coulee and over the top of the far saddle. to my surprise I managed to call the tom in to 16 yards and get drawn. i smashed him with a turkey tom-o-hawk as he stepped into the opening. guess i shouldve went old school sooner left the blind & decoys in the truck and go to em like the old days
    Attached Files

congrats! nice tom and great pics

Comment

Very nice.

I hunted them for the first time this year on a day lease. They made me feel and look silly for two days and I can't to try again next year.

Congrats.

Comment

Congrats on your turkey it just doesn't get better than that. How you like your bow? I sure like mine.

Comment

thanks, double G, I like the RKT, growing closer to it every day. i also have an Invasion that i am real fond of. i hurt my shoulder and it hurt me to draw it. the draw cycle on the Hoyt was such that i didnt hurt me to draw so i am shooting it for now> 1 thing i have to say is i catch myself creeping with the Hoyt, the Invasion will tear your arm out of the socket if you creep with it. kinda keeps you honest! hang in there Slick 8 ive been killin turkeys for quite a few years and they still have their way with me> I love when people tell me how stupid turkeys are, apparently theyve never tried to kill 1 let alone with a bow
          Last edited by Lost Buckaroo; 05-15-2012, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Dang Jim, I would say you had a great weekend. Congrats on the bird.

Comment

Nice bird congrats

Comment

Awesome bird, congrats! I am still waiting to get one with a bow.

Comment

Good job

Comment

I had almost the same experience this year! Could not get the toms to talk or get anywhere near my decoys. I went out one afternoon after pigs with no calls and no dekes and shazam, killed a nice tom at the feeder. Then 30 minutes later whacked a nice sow. I love days like that!

Congrats on your bird.

Bisch

Comment

Nice Tom!

Comment

Congrats on a nice tom and I like the way you took the picture.

Comment

Congrats. Was this at the lease in Tilden?

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                            Congrats. Was this at the lease in Tilden?
                            NEGATIVE!!! i dont hunt there any longer and would recomend everyone stay well away from there

Comment

Nice Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X