Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mad Island Tips?

First post since the crash....

Looking for any tips or tricks for the hog hunt down at Mad Island WMA. Never been down there for ducks or anything else. Are waders or rubber boots neccessary for getting to the assigned blind? Will it be easy to retrieve any down game? I'm excited about the possibilities of seeing game, last year there was 200 something percent success... Please list any tips or tricks for enjoyable and successful hunt.

Gig'em
    6DollarRooster

take your fishin pole theres lots of redfish swimmin round waders are good look in Palacios at the donut shop they got good breakfast tacos

Comment

Last weeks hog hunt was dismal. 19 hogs were taken total. Usually the first hunt brings in 25 to 30 the first day alone.

You don't need any special waders or anything unless it rains heavily between now and then. The ground is nice and dry. The few hogs that came in were in great condition. I bet not a one of them went under 50# with the average being around 70#.

Mad Island had a wonderful cleaning shed with lights, gambrels and running water. They even take your guts away for you if you didn't clean out in the field. Matt and the guys go all out for their hunters.

Tips would be:

Take corn
      Take bug spray or better yet a Thermacell.
      Watch out for rattlesnakes

Also: You are not allowed to fish on the WMA.

Comment

Were you drawn or are you trying for standby? We were drawn and will be at the next hunt.

Comment

I'm looking to go standby... Do you think my chances of getting drawn are good? I don't know if I'll go yet or not.

Gig'em
          6DollarRooster

Comment

I'm not sure how good the chances are of getting drawn for standby. I know that around 20 people showed up last time for 9 spots.

Comment

I just got off the phone with Matt. If you are thinking about going standby please bring rubber boots. 4X4's will now be needed to get into some areas. The complex has received significant rain coupled with upstream runoff. It's gonna be messy.

Also, make sure you are well sighted in. If you have an opportunity at a hog/s you will want to put them down in their tracks. Tracking through mud, saltgrass, ponds and swamp will be near impossible.

Comment

17 hunters for 5 standby spots..... and I didn't get in.... oh well

6DollarRooster

Comment

Yeah there were alot of people there. I think more than the first hunt.

If it any consolation, only 25 pigs were taken for the whole weekend. 12 sat and 13 sun. The pigs weren't coming to the corn well. With all of that rain they had lots of nice rooting to do.

You wouldn't happen to be the guy that had trouble finding the place?

Comment

Nope...
                    Found the place without much of a problem. Got to the front gate right at 10am and took up the rear of the line. I was wearing a black Matthews hat sitting at the picnic table.

Comment

Ah I think I remember seeing you there. We were the couple that showed up almost last. We wound up with a nice sow and a 15 pound piglet. The pigs were not in their normal pattern that is for sure.

Comment

Working...
                      X