No announcement yet.

Libertarians & Conservatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think about it much - or often. Although I do pay close attention to political / world affairs, contradictory though that may sound. I've made the statement here a time or two, but please allow me to repeat myself: I'm 70 years old, and life's experiences have molded me into who I am. For better or for worse.
    I have both some conservative and liberal philosophies / beliefs / ideals. Better and more simply said; a way of living.

I'll touch on some inarguably important issues and expound a little on others - leaving religion till last:

Through the evolution process, I'm fiscally conservative. If I don't have the money, I don't buy it - I don't take the trip or indulge in the adventure. Ergo, I stay in the black. Simple arithmetic - government(s), just how hard is that?

The Constitution is remarkably clear, and goes directly to the point. All Amendments. I have absolutely no argument with with any Article. And if I happened to; I would promptly get over it. Rules of Law: read the meters and don't fight the system. But still, somehow some **** gets thrown into the game. I'll address a few things that weren't specifically covered in the Perfect Document:

The death penalty: I'm adamantly opposed. I personally have no problem with killing mothereffers that need to be killed. But the system is imperfect and genuinely innocent people have been executed. If indeed they did it, I can think of no worse punishment than life in prison. And if they didn't, they didn't and hopefully they will be exonerated before it's too late. And just how much sense does it make to kill somebody to show them that killing is wrong?

Abortion: I am personally opposed, through evolution. I once believed that it was all okay. I changed my mind. I have a beautiful, wonderful, precious 23 year old grand daughter. My daughter got pregnant at the age of 16. I suggested abortion, but I didn't push it. She said I can't Dad. Had my daughter had an abortion, there would be no Lauren Marie. Having said that; I'm pro-choice, the decision rests with the woman and the man and God. Period. Government(s), stay out of the way.

Same sex marriage: I do believe that genders should marry opposites. But I don't really care as long as they don't do it in the street and scare the horses. As with above; that's God's business and I'm unqualified to arbitrate the matter. I am not the slightest bit homophobic. (Chuckle) with women, perversely, I find it kinda hot and most men do too, although they won't say it out loud.

Drugs: Decriminalize, regulate and tax. Alcohol and tobacco kill more people and kill more people every day that illegal drugs do. Prohibition is the only Amendment that has been done away with; because it was a dismal failure. Prohibition was both the mother and the father of organized crime. Certainly some drugs are bad and will kill you, but people will do them anyway. I do drink in moderation and yessir, I do smoke a little dope from time to time. In moderation. Everyone that enjoys a drink is not necessarily a drunk, nor is the occasional toker a pothead. I will use myself for an example: Neither have disaffected my life in any manner. I've never been out of work, my income is in six figures,my credit score is somewhere between 825 and 840 and I still enjoy remarkable health at the age of 70. An open mind is an open mind is an open mind. I suggest those with closed minds simply try it for a little while.

Social / assistance / welfare programs: I've been blessed with at least average intelligence, a few talents and a desire for fun and materials things - and most importantly, good health. Some are not so fortunate. I do believe that those of us that have blessed with such things should help out those that haven't. At least until they get back on their feet, after that, they're on their own. Some will have health / disability problems that will never go away. Compassion is not a weakness, it is a strength and I don't think that we should leave them in the sand to die.

Religion: I've already covered a few things that seem to be an issue with a lot of folks and I don't condemn nobody's line of thinking / beliefs / convictions. Once again,
    God's job. I am Catholic by choice, raised Baptist. Us Catholics believe that we were all saved some 2000 years ago; when Jesus Christ, the Only Son of God died so all us mortals stated at Square One at birth. Baptism is a ritual, the child does not have to know what is going on; God, The Son and the Holy Spirit are clear on the concept. While attending classes to be a confirmed Catholic, Father Mike said: Take away the church laws and we all believe the road to Heaven leads through Jesus Christ, there ain't no other route. I have some disagreement the the church laws and I break them. I am am divorced (twice) and I do date when the mood hits and my checkbook balance suggests that I'm overdue to spend a little time with a pretty woman. Catholic Church law says otherwise, but I betcha God is forgiving. I can say that because, I don't lie to them or mislead them and the right amount of money is in the envelope, should that be the situation. Heck, when I feel that I'm way past due to take Communion, I go to an Episcopal mass; Episcopals don't let religion affect business or religion. The baptistry is a hot tub.

Liberal, conservative, democrat, republican, libertarian? I don't really know, nor I do I care very much. I have to be okay with whichever I am or I ain't because I really don't have a choice. Probably, I guess - closer to libertarian than anything else.

Thanks XBowHunter, and I admire you for sticking to your principles in the face of about 90% opposition in this particular venue.

Not proofed for spelling, punctuation, for repeating myself or anything else.

Bob Lee

Comment

Mr. Bob Lee - I like your style brother.

M
      Last edited by mikemorvan; 03-09-2017, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Bob Lee, I like your thinking.

Comment

Wow Bob, thanks for sharing. You have an interesting philosophy, I'll give you that. You are indeed broad-minded. I can't say that I'd agree with much of what you believe, but that is perfectly OK. Probably still be fun to share a real campfire with you sir. Thank you again for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by boblee View Post
            I don't think about it much - or often. Although I do pay close attention to political / world affairs, contradictory though that may sound. I've made the statement here a time or two, but please allow me to repeat myself: I'm 70 years old, and life's experiences have molded me into who I am. For better or for worse.

I have both some conservative and liberal philosophies / beliefs / ideals. Better and more simply said; a way of living.

I'll touch on some inarguably important issues and expound a little on others - leaving religion till last:

Through the evolution process, I'm fiscally conservative. If I don't have the money, I don't buy it - I don't take the trip or indulge in the adventure. Ergo, I stay in the black. Simple arithmetic - government(s), just how hard is that?

The Constitution is remarkably clear, and goes directly to the point. All Amendments. I have absolutely no argument with with any Article. And if I happened to; I would promptly get over it. Rules of Law: read the meters and don't fight the system. But still, somehow some **** gets thrown into the game. I'll address a few things that weren't specifically covered in the Perfect Document:

The death penalty: I'm adamantly opposed. I personally have no problem with killing mothereffers that need to be killed. But the system is imperfect and genuinely innocent people have been executed. If indeed they did it, I can think of no worse punishment than life in prison. And if they didn't, they didn't and hopefully they will be exonerated before it's too late. And just how much sense does it make to kill somebody to show them that killing is wrong?

Abortion: I am personally opposed, through evolution. I once believed that it was all okay. I changed my mind. I have a beautiful, wonderful, precious 23 year old grand daughter. My daughter got pregnant at the age of 16. I suggested abortion, but I didn't push it. She said I can't Dad. Had my daughter had an abortion, there would be no Lauren Marie. Having said that; I'm pro-choice, the decision rests with the woman and the man and God. Period. Government(s), stay out of the way.

Same sex marriage: I do believe that genders should marry opposites. But I don't really care as long as they don't do it in the street and scare the horses. As with above; that's God's business and I'm unqualified to arbitrate the matter. I am not the slightest bit homophobic. (Chuckle) with women, perversely, I find it kinda hot and most men do too, although they won't say it out loud.

Drugs: Decriminalize, regulate and tax. Alcohol and tobacco kill more people and kill more people every day that illegal drugs do. Prohibition is the only Amendment that has been done away with; because it was a dismal failure. Prohibition was both the mother and the father of organized crime. Certainly some drugs are bad and will kill you, but people will do them anyway. I do drink in moderation and yessir, I do smoke a little dope from time to time. In moderation. Everyone that enjoys a drink is not necessarily a drunk, nor is the occasional toker a pothead. I will use myself for an example: Neither have disaffected my life in any manner. I've never been out of work, my income is in six figures,my credit score is somewhere between 825 and 840 and I still enjoy remarkable health at the age of 70. An open mind is an open mind is an open mind. I suggest those with closed minds simply try it for a little while.

Social / assistance / welfare programs: I've been blessed with at least average intelligence, a few talents and a desire for fun and materials things - and most importantly, good health. Some are not so fortunate. I do believe that those of us that have blessed with such things should help out those that haven't. At least until they get back on their feet, after that, they're on their own. Some will have health / disability problems that will never go away. Compassion is not a weakness, it is a strength and I don't think that we should leave them in the sand to die.

Religion: I've already covered a few things that seem to be an issue with a lot of folks and I don't condemn nobody's line of thinking / beliefs / convictions. Once again,

God's job. I am Catholic by choice, raised Baptist. Us Catholics believe that we were all saved some 2000 years ago; when Jesus Christ, the Only Son of God died so all us mortals stated at Square One at birth. Baptism is a ritual, the child does not have to know what is going on; God, The Son and the Holy Spirit are clear on the concept. While attending classes to be a confirmed Catholic, Father Mike said: Take away the church laws and we all believe the road to Heaven leads through Jesus Christ, there ain't no other route. I have some disagreement the the church laws and I break them. I am am divorced (twice) and I do date when the mood hits and my checkbook balance suggests that I'm overdue to spend a little time with a pretty woman. Catholic Church law says otherwise, but I betcha God is forgiving. I can say that because, I don't lie to them or mislead them and the right amount of money is in the envelope, should that be the situation. Heck, when I feel that I'm way past due to take Communion, I go to an Episcopal mass; Episcopals don't let religion affect business or religion. The baptistry is a hot tub.

Liberal, conservative, democrat, republican, libertarian? I don't really know, nor I do I care very much. I have to be okay with whichever I am or I ain't because I really don't have a choice. Probably, I guess - closer to libertarian than anything else.

Thanks XBowHunter, and I admire you for sticking to your principles in the face of about 90% opposition in this particular venue.

Not proofed for spelling, punctuation, for repeating myself or anything else.

Bob Lee

Bob Lee,

I am not worthy. I wish I could express myself as eloquently as you do.

Well said sir

Comment

Some folks are cool. But they ain't Bob Lee cool!

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                Some folks are cool. But they ain't Bob Lee cool!

[emoji1303]

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  Wow Bob, thanks for sharing. You have an interesting philosophy, I'll give you that. You are indeed broad-minded. I can't say that I'd agree with much of what you believe, but that is perfectly OK. Probably still be fun to share a real campfire with you sir. Thank you again for sharing.

I would like to congratulate you on your open-mindedness also.

We tend to strike out at each other around here based on our political beliefs and that's not the way we should be.

I would share a real campfire with you as well. I am betting it would be a great evening[emoji1303]

Comment

Yessir, I'd have to agree with that too. Dang, that's 2 things now! Scary huh!?

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                      Yessir, I'd have to agree with that too. Dang, that's 2 things now! Scary huh!?

We all good [emoji4]

Comment

Mr. Bob Lee for the WIN!
                        Most of us Libertarians couldn't state it any better if we had a week to prepare a response. Well done.

Bottom line, stay in your lane, manage your own sheeeit.

Comment

How do we get Bob Lee elevated to commander-in-chief? [emoji1303]

Comment

I genuinely appreciate all the positive and flattering replies to my far-too-long post last evening. To the point that I feel just a little bit embarrassed. I had no intention of saying anything. I was just reading here and there and impulsively, I said what I said and then I did some things and I went on to bed, without looking back until this morning.

My post was chock full of errors and I doubled up with some words and I was redundant and I said some things better left unsaid and I failed to say a few that I maybe intended to say when I began. I had no particular plan and I just shared my thoughts as they seemed to form. I put it together as I typed, the endeavor took all of about 10 minutes.

I, even when a little bit drunk or kinda stoned, do not consider myself to be even remotely special. I guess, for lack of a better description, unusual I suppose. But I'm stuck with me. When the alarm goes off each morning, after bopping the snooze button a couple of times, I switch on the light and I look up at the ceiling and guess who's laying there? An ordinary man with an extraordinary love of fun and all that life has to offer. Fun and pleasure will not seek you out. You have to look for it, create it.

Whatever. Two cups of coffee and a cigarette (don't say a effing word about cigarettes, I already know), and I'm in a good mood. Because I should be. Good kids and good grandkids that love me and respect me and want time with me. Good health and good money that I don't really have to exert myself to earn. My fool boss / company CEO continues to buy it. Mucho dinero, trabajo poquito.

I would love to sit down by the fire with practically every TBH member (couple exceptions} and listen to some stories and to tell some stories.
                            And boys and girls, I have a wealth of stories to tell. Far too many X rated.

Somewhere in the Bible, there's a passage about talents given to all of us; what we choose to do with them left is up to us.

Probably, it's my Irish and Choctaw lineage. I do love to tell stories to all that care to listen and to few that had just as soon not to. I like to think that my given talent is for story telling. All would (will be) true. Please indulge me to elaborate on the subject. A story is like a piece of cloth or fabric, real as rain. But to entice or pull attention, the story teller must apply some embroidery, some lace... To said ordinary piece of cloth, in order to make it interesting and attractive. I can do that because God told me I could.

Directly to XbowHunter: I have no desire, no interest whatsoever to be Commander in Chief of anything or anyone. I just want to be in charge of me, and most days that's almost more than I can handle.

Bob Lee

Comment

Well said Bob. Thanks again.

Comment

Stop while you're ahead

Bob Lee for president !!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X