This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY - Change to this Forum

The DIY section has gotten far away from the intentions we had for this forum. If you are posting in this forum, it needs to be a "Directional/How To" type thread.

There will be no "sales" allowed in this forum. All sales should be in the Classifieds Forum.

We will be cleaning this forum to reflect the original intentions and look forward to seeing all the fun "how to's" that will be posted.

Sound good

Comment

Not all builds are exactally done in a "how to" format. My trailer mansion build has a ton of stuff in it but I don't think it would classify as a how to. Will threads like that be removed or is it more of a clean up on stuff that looks like advertisements and product show off? Just wondering, I really enjoy the threads that go from raw land to a dream come true.

Comment

I hope it's a clean up of ads. I like the dhow off stuff, too!

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
          Not all builds are exactally done in a "how to" format. My trailer mansion build has a ton of stuff in it but I don't think it would classify as a how to. Will threads like that be removed or is it more of a clean up on stuff that looks like advertisements and product show off? Just wondering, I really enjoy the threads that go from raw land to a dream come true.
          I agree with this. How to's are really a pain to document and show. There are a ton of great things on here people have built, but only show the end result. Folks that want to know more about it can ask more questions and others can just admire.

I think we all see that you are most likely just trying to cut out folks selling knives that don't have the coveted "knife selling" sponsorship, but don't dismantle the DIY section to do it.

Comment

DIY is what brought me to TBH in the first place.

I like seeing what people have created (furniture, implements, blinds, redneck inventions) even if there's not a step by step tutorial

Comment

Looking forward to each post having a fun "how to's", with no advertising that should be in the classifieds.

Comment

I think she means that the DIY threads should be more than a pic of a finished project. Doesn't have to be how-to, but it should at least include more than just a pic of what was done.

Comment

*like*

Comment

Originally posted by Texas276
                    I think we all see that you are most likely just trying to cut out folks selling knives that don't have the coveted "knife selling" sponsorship, but don't dismantle the DIY section to do it.
                    Originally posted by Casey View Post
                    I think she means that the DIY threads should be more than a pic of a finished project. Doesn't have to be how-to, but it should at least include more than just a pic of what was done.

I hope it means more than that. This is my take on this....A "do it your selfer" makes things for himself. Usually it's to save some money or make something that isn't readily available. Sometimes it's just to see if you can make/build something different and have pride in making it. He/she doesn't do it to promote a product to sell.

Knives are a good example of this. Have seen many a knife DIY thread that is simply showing off a product to sell. Pictures are posted with little to no explanation on the process of making them. When you start taking orders, selling products and receiving money for a product you are no longer a DIY'er but a business man.

Maybe there should be a commercial classified forum and then the knife makers can pay to advertise and sell their wares in there. Same thing for others such as metal fab shops that make BBQ pits/smokers
                    Last edited by sendit; 01-08-2017, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                      I hope it means more than that. This is my take on this....A "do it your selfer" makes things for himself. Usually it's to save some money or make something that isn't readily available. Sometimes it's just to see if you can make/build something different and have pride in making it. He/she doesn't do it to promote a product to sell.

Knives are a good example of this. Have seen many a knife DIY thread that is simply showing off a product to sell. Pictures are posted with little to no explanation on the process of making them. When you start taking orders, selling products and receiving money for a product you are no longer a DIY'er but a business man.

Maybe there should be a commercial classified forum and then the knife makers can pay to advertise and sell their wares in there. Same thing for others such as metal fab shops that make BBQ pits/smokers
                      That was already available. Some of us were priced out by the increase of sponsorship fees for knife makers going to $500/year. Not worth it when you only sell a few knives a year on here. Most of the ones I posted were already sold, I just posted pictures in the DIY thread to show them off (no, they weren't a "how to" thread). Because I put blood, sweat and tears into them. I bought a sponsorship when people started asking to buy one or make them one. I followed the rules but in the end, it just wasn't worth paying that much.

Comment

Plus 1 Puggy.

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                          I followed the rules but in the end, it just wasn't worth paying that much.
                          Bingo.

Mary's website, she can do as she pleases, and I'll follow the rules. I can tell you though, from a serious hobby knifemaker's perspective, that the price you pay to sell isn't worth it. We aren't able to produce enough volume that's available to the general public to make it worth paying TBH sponsor prices. TBH selling privileges are higher $$ than Bladeforums and Usual Suspect Network put together.

Comment

Plus 2 Mr. Fry, not enough profit in a handmade knife vs. a China, put-together, who-knows-where damascus blank to make it worthwhile. Not to mention the same maker doing the sheath as well. Just my two-cents.

Comment

Mary's website, she can do as she pleases, and I'll follow the rules. I can tell you though, from a serious hobby knifemaker's perspective, that the price you pay to sell isn't worth it. We aren't able to produce enough volume that's available to the general public to make it worth paying TBH sponsor prices.
                              Agreed, I just can't justify the increase in associate sponsorship fees. I wish that I could but there's just not enough profit in my humble knives.

Comment

Working...
                              X