What's the shortest that you would stay in a new job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the shortest that you would stay in a new job

What's the shortest amount of time that you would stay in a new job before going elsewhere?

A little background I started a new job 3 weeks ago. The company is ok and where it's not ok, my job is to be the change agent there to improve it. Can't say anything bad about the place other than the drive is around 25 miles from home into traffic and takes about an hour each way.

That said I had a recruiter reach out to me from a company I had been talking to over a year ago. I was talking to them as a consultant opportunity but they decided to DIY it back then. Over a year later they decided to hire someone internally and reached out to me to see if I would be interested. It's a lateral position so probably the same pay range but larger company and better benefits. Also it's very close to home. All back roads there and probably 10-15 min drive in traffic.

What would y'all do? I'm at least going to talk to them to see what the offer is and will go from there.

I quit a job in 1 month, but I had good reason to. The company had paid $20k to a headhunter to find me and if I stayed longer than 60 days, the amount was considered earned. Anything less, they got a refund.

I started there with a certain set of expectations on the work I'd be doing. The work they actually had me do amounted to the responsibilities a mailroom clerk could handle. I asked about it a number of times, only to be told my intended role would probably come into relevance a year or so in the future. Just didn't feel like stamping invoices and filing copies for a year so I moved on.

Comment

I've drug up before I've ever clocked in. So 0 seconds!

Comment

I went a week at a job I started. Was nothing like they said it was going to be. Basically doing a different position. Luckily my old job reached back out to me and went back.

Comment

Shoot just from what you have described it seems like a better deal. Cant get your time back and a 10 or 15 min drive instead of an hour, plus better benefits would have me wanting to take them up on their offer. More time with your family plus traffic makes you mean haha at least it does me

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I think frequency of job changes is more detrimental than duration at a single job. You certainly don't want to "job hop", but I think it's easily justifiable to make a switch based on an unexpected better opportunity. Of course, I'd make sure I provided them with at least the customary notice and would likely be apologetic (but honest) about leaving and why.

I'd definitely explore the new opportunity to see what the offer is. All else equal, I'd take the shorter drive and better benefits, especially if both are "career" positions.
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

As long as you are respectful and not shady, then I wouldn't see an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                I've drug up before I've ever clocked in. So 0 seconds!
                Drugs can do that

Comment

Originally posted by ChickenWilly View Post
                  Shoot just from what you have described it seems like a better deal. Cant get your time back and a 10 or 15 min drive instead of an hour, plus better benefits would have me wanting to take them up on their offer. More time with your family plus traffic makes you mean haha at least it does me

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                  I don't get mean from traffic but would rather not have it.

The other postings about not being what they expected is what I'm concerned about with the other one just based on past discussions with the manager. I don't think he fully understand the value that an agile coach can bring to change his org. I'm afraid he just wants them to go through the motions and not really change anything.

Either way I'll talk to them to find out more.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    I think frequency of job changes is more detrimental than duration at a single job. You certainly don't want to "job hop", but I think it's easily justifiable to make a switch based on an unexpected better opportunity. Of course, I'd make sure I provided them with at least the customary notice and would likely be apologetic (but honest) about leaving and why.

I'd definitely explore the new opportunity to see what the offer is. All else equal, I'd take the shorter drive and better benefits, especially if both are "career" positions.
                    Yea I'm far from a job hopper. My last job of 2 yrs was my shortest.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
                      What's the shortest amount of time that you would stay in a new job before going elsewhere?

A little background I started a new job 3 weeks ago. The company is ok and where it's not ok, my job is to be the change agent there to improve it. Can't say anything bad about the place other than the drive is around 25 miles from home into traffic and takes about an hour each way.

That said I had a recruiter reach out to me from a company I had been talking to over a year ago. I was talking to them as a consultant opportunity but they decided to DIY it back then. Over a year later they decided to hire someone internally and reached out to me to see if I would be interested. It's a lateral position so probably the same pay range but larger company and better benefits. Also it's very close to home. All back roads there and probably 10-15 min drive in traffic.

What would y'all do? I'm at least going to talk to them to see what the offer is and will go from there.
                      I don't think time will ping you on future opportunities as you won't even list it on your resume. I get the draw to the newer new job but I'd be certain you like it and certain of the traffic situation. As the current employer, I would have hoped you had already considered that before accepting the position. Your call either way and best of luck.

Comment

5 minutes. That's the shortest.

Comment

The shortest I would stay at a new job? Just long enough to find a better one.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
                            I went a week at a job I started. Was nothing like they said it was going to be. Basically doing a different position. Luckily my old job reached back out to me and went back.
                            It really bothered me having to leave just barely two weeks after starting, but things were clearly not as described to me by management when interviewed several counties away. The pay and other details were not as was told, among other things. Very hostile work environment. I was polite despite the hostility and disrespect. Quietly walked away and left.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              Drugs can do that
                              I gotta ask, speaking of drugs, do you ever sleep? Or have a job?

OP, do what you think is right.

Comment

Working...
                              X