Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Redemption Hunt ... Live from Tom Green County!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redemption Hunt ... Live from Tom Green County!!

Well folks, if you happen to glance into the San Angelo area thread from time to time this year, you probably know that I flubbed a shot on a deer with a look that I have been looking for for a long time. Tall brows with some good times and some junk. I'm a sucker for tall brows and he's got them along with nice 2s with matching G2 kickers. We call him
    Flattop because last year his brows were as tall as his 2s and 3s across the top like the haircut. I passed him 8-10 times last year hoping his 2s and 3s would eventually catch up to his brows and this year they did. He may not kill a score sheet but I don't care one bit. I like his look and his character.

I'm not gonna bore you with the details of the hunt on 10/21 but just know, he was in perfect position with the camera rolling and was none the wiser. I made a stupid stupid decision to aim at middle lung instead of my normal heart shot I have done for years with great success. My thinking was with 2 of my last 3 deer I hit them too low in the brisket and I thought I screwed up only to find them both at 50-60 yards. The deer in my avatar, I clipped the very tip of the bottom of the heart. **** lucky to get him so I'd been thinking about aiming higher all summer.

Well I can still see my pin moving from the heart to the middle lung that morning and I tripped the release on a chip shot, only to see my arrow hit in the top of the back area. [emoji31] Also found out I was suffering some nock pinch with some TGB nocks I just started using when my last Nocturnal was lost. You can see the loopty loop of my arrow in flight and it slamming sideways on entry. It may have made me shoot a little high and affected my penetration but I'm still blaming it on the stupid aim choice change I made at the last second. It was all a perfect storm of disaster...add a slight duck, and my brows went running away with 1-2" of arrow in him. My first trophy lost with a bow..[emoji31]

Bad news is we lost him. Dog folks said they wouldn't be able to help me either. Good news is he showed up 10 days later no worse for the wear with a small hole for a wound. He's been very sporadic coming in occassionally until M-W of this week. He came in and stayed a long time each evening. So I'm here in Tom Green County sitting in camp with a good drink looking for a little redemption hoping he shows up looking for some girlfriends or dinner. He may not show, he may be so educated he may not get within 50 yards of human smell but I'm gonna spend Mon-Sat trying to redeem myself and finish the job. Figured I'd start a live hunt to keep myself motivated and make it interesting.[emoji23] My blind has good signal so I'm hoping to update like we did Skinny's hunt from the same blind last year! Y'all pull up a chair, follow along and wish me luck.[emoji41]. We are in it for the week starting tomorrow am.

Pics of Flattop almost all are post shot.. (sorry for the quality....some are from my Covert wireless and some are from my TC checks)

First day back

Shot marked

Arrow on it's way see loopty loop.

Not there yet

Impact[emoji35]

Dialed in with the Black Hornets.

And of course the video of the choke job..

Last edited by Smart; 11-12-2017, 09:19 PM.

First!!!!

Haha! Good luck to ya, Smart! I hope you seal the deal on this buck!

Skinny

Comment

Good luck. That's an awesome looking deer!

Comment

Good luck, Jason. Looking forward to the LDP’s and seeing the Black Hornet carnage.

Comment

He must have lost his ear tag

Great looking deer. Takes a big man to admit he botched a shot. I'll be following all week, looking forward to seeing the LDPs.

Not looking forward to how much we will hear about this trophy all season after you kill him

Comment

I'll be following! Good luck Jason!

Comment

Hope ya get him! Watching.

Good luck!

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Good luck Jason.

Comment

I sprayed scent thief outside earlier... should have paralyzed their noses across the state, so you don't need to worry with that

Comment

Get em bro!! 2nd time is a charm!

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                        I sprayed scent thief outside earlier... should have paralyzed their noses across the state, so you don't need to worry with that

Saaaahweet!! [emoji41]

Comment

In.

Comment

This is gonna be a good redemption story, I can feel it.

Good luck!

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X