Camera Surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
    What effect does a rattlesnake bite have on livestock?
    I think they tolerate it better than one might think. I know they inject horses with snake venom in order to produce the antibodies they collect to make antivenom. Probably other domestic animals are used this way too.
    We have had several coon dogs bitten over the years and never had one die. A few came close but they always seemed to rebound pretty well. One thing fo sho, they would never get near another snake on purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
      I think they tolerate it better than one might think. I know they inject horses with snake venom in order to produce the antibodies they collect to make antivenom. Probably other domestic animals are used this way too.
      We have had several coon dogs bitten over the years and never had one die. A few came close but they always seemed to rebound pretty well. One thing fo sho, they would never get near another snake on purpose.
      I guess they were de-snaked the hard way. I seem to remember seeing pics of deer on here that might have been bit and all it did was swell up the local area? Seems to make sense that it would not kill a big animal. But it sure would kill a mouse or rabbit ! Funny how it works that way.

Comment

My grandpa told me they had a horse get bit on the nose when he was a kid and they had to jab it with a knife to relieve the pressure in its nose because it would have suffocated. If I remember right he said horses don't breathe through their mouth. I don't know anything about horses so that might have been a wives tale but I don't know.

Comment

Bigun, hope you get em.

Comment

The snake was the first thing I noticed. Had to look twice for the deer.

Comment

Working...
            X