summer feeding....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

summer feeding....

I'm sure this has been asked. I did a forum search and didn't really find anything.

* do you still continue feeding corn in summer?
    * do you continue feeding/filling all the feeders w corn? or only a select few on the land?
    * how long are your feeders going for? 2 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds
    * what are your feeding times? dark thirty times?? so birds and turkey and coons won't kill it all.

Land:
    900 Ac
    3 protein feeders
    15 corn feeders (note: not all corn feeders have bind or stand only about 8 have stands)
    Thanks.

yes year round.
    yes change their intervals to less thrown and some once a day
    depends..between 2 and 4. (all seasons sling the snot out of the corn.. no need to have large times)
    sunrise sunset and some just sunrise.

Comment

1. Yes
      2. All
      3. 10 seconds
      4. sunrise, sunrise +30, sunrise +60, sunset-60, sunset-30

Comment

Year around but I slow it down after the season. I will start cranking it back up in June/July.
        Also start my mineral supplements in May.

Comment

1. Yes
          2. all
          3. 5 seconds, twice a day
          4. 7am & 4:30 pm (We hunt hogs off of the feeders too)
          5. Feed protein all year round, never stop

Comment

Yes feed corn and protein year round. I will cut the time back a couple of seconds if conditions are good and deer arent hitting it hard. Otherwise I throw same amount as during season. have different brands of feeders so throw amount is different on them. On the protein feeders we have them open from daylight to dark all year.
            Feeders are set for 30 min before daylight and an hour before dark. We enjoy pig hunting year round. I have a hog light set up at one spot and throw a 2 second spin after dark for the piggies that are nocturnal.
            Last edited by DUKFVR; 04-19-2018, 11:47 AM.

Comment

We just cut back to a couple seconds on all 6 that we have and do 7a and 6p

Comment

From when things green up in the spring until everything dries out in mid-summer I only throw once - in the morning - for 4-5 seconds. Between now and then almost all the corn is eaten by critters other than deer. I throw in the morning in hopes of luring in a pig just after daylight. If I throw in the summer evenings the pigs wait until the wee hours to come in. I'm not ambitious enough to hunt them at night anymore.

We feed protein from late February until late summer

Comment

Great info.!!
                  I just got a new lease and just wanted to make sure what the consensus is, because as you know hunting can be an expensive hobby.
                  the ranch mgr. says we need to feed year round, 5 to 6 seconds of corn and protein now until Aug or Sept.

Comment

I feed year around but in the spring I've found that you can waste a lot of corn if you feed too much. They have enough browse that they really don't hit it hard. A couple of seconds or so about 10 minutes after sunrise and a couple of seconds about a hour before sunset. Just want them to remember where it is. Once summer kicks in I up it to 5-6 seconds and about two weeks before season I up it again to 8-10 seconds to hold them there.

Comment

* do you still continue feeding corn in summer? We are this year for the first time. Looking forward to seeing if it has any real impact on our 300 acre place.

* do you continue feeding/filling all the feeders w corn? or only a select few on the land? Four feeders on 300 acres. Soybean/corn mixture.

* how long are your feeders going for? 2 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds Basically 2 seconds each, depending on how fast the feed flows. Not slinging a whole lot.

* what are your feeding times? dark thirty times?? so birds and turkey and coons won't kill it all. 7:30 in the morning and 7:00 in the evening.

Comment

Feed as much as you can, as often as you can.
                        I like to put my corn on the ground while it is dark, to limit how much the birds get.
                        1 hour before sunrise and at sunset.

Comment

protein year round in two 1000 pounders on 400 acres.

roasted soybean/corn mix in 4 of the 9 All Season feeders year round (2 seconds #2 rpm a.m & p.m.) from February to September 1.

September start throwing roasted soybean/corn mix from all feeders like somebody else is paying for it
                          Last edited by K. Lane; 04-19-2018, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X