Anyone on here a Career Advisor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone on here a Career Advisor?

Getting back into the workforce after nearly 7 years as a stay at home dad. Looking for someone to critique my resume and maybe give some advice.

I have an engineering degree from A&M but my experience is in manufacturing / warehouse management.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Career Info

I am not a professional career advisor, but I recently retired from Workforce Development for the Economic Alliance Houston Port Region. My job was to talk to high school and college students in a nine-county area from the Texas-Louisiana boarder all the way down to Matagorda.

The East Harris County Manufacturers Association (EHCMA) has a great website that might help: https://petrochemworks.com/ Look for the "Match Me" section on the webpage. Click on the "Interests" button and choose all of the boxes that interest you. Next click on the "Skills" button and adjust the sliders to indicate how much or how little each category applies to you. (NOTE: Leave Avoiding Stress and Avoiding Risk in the middle. Those two things can NEVER be avoided!) Last, click "Your Education." After clicking the "Next" button, the site will match you to four careers that match the interests and skills you entered. Click on the job link, and you will find a description with skills and responsibilities listed. The page will show links to nearby employers from which you will be able to upload your completed resume.

About that resume...The first thing you need to do is to go through your social media sites and clean up the posts and the pictures. Believe me, HR folks scour the Internet to find out more about you. When I was hiring teachers at a school district, I did not even bother to interview anyone whose profile or online information was not pristine. Also, be forthright about the fact that you took several years out of the workforce to be Mr. Mom as companies are always curious about employment gaps. In addition, make that resume short and sweet. Use few words but make them impactful and powerful. A bulleted list with leading verbs is best. When you get the interview, go in with a portfolio of work from your previous jobs as well as great references with up to date phone numbers and email addresses.

Your best bet for finding a position is to go directly to a staffing agency. If you are in the Houston area, contact Meador Staffing, Go Johnson, or Certified Staffing. Those folks have connections to match job seekers to potential employees.

Hope this helps!

Denise

Comment

What are you looking to do? Is there a specific role you feel well-suited for? Are you open to any/all industries or are you aiming for something specific?

Comment

Originally posted by hellbndr23 View Post
        Getting back into the workforce after nearly 7 years as a stay at home dad. Looking for someone to critique my resume and maybe give some advice.

I have an engineering degree from A&M but my experience is in manufacturing / warehouse management.

No help on your resume but my wife was contacted by a recruiter recently and she had a 3 page resume. He asked her to cut it down to a 1 pager. He said depending on the company you will need both. I also have heard Amazon is doing a lot of hiring in the Houston area.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ecs View Post

Hope this helps!
          Very much so, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
            What are you looking to do? Is there a specific role you feel well-suited for? Are you open to any/all industries or are you aiming for something specific?
            Really I'm looking for anything. I've thought about the operations side of oil and gas, warehouse management, shipping and receiving, IT, retail (preferably more than a cashier), handyman, drafting, whatever.

Going to see if I can attach my resume. No clue what this is going to do. http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a56eea1...12-27.docx.pdf

Comment

I’m in outside sales and sell into all types of manufacturers. Every one of them is hiring. Every. Single. One. They can’t find anyone willing work. From sweeping floors to executive positions, they are all looking. One of them is hiring for a HR management position that is a 6 figure position and it’s been open 18 months. I’d think you could walk through a door and get a job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CoachStanton View Post
                I’m in outside sales and sell into all types of manufacturers. Every one of them is hiring. Every. Single. One. They can’t find anyone willing work. From sweeping floors to executive positions, they are all looking. One of them is hiring for a HR management position that is a 6 figure position and it’s been open 18 months. I’d think you could walk through a door and get a job.

I'm obviously looking in all the wrong places [emoji4]. I'll glady take some leads.

Comment

I recently switched jobs after 30 years. The first place I sent a resume to hired me, basically on the first interview. With your qualifications, you should have no problem getting hired. Companies are looking for people who will work, and keeping a youngun is definitely hard work. Look around until you find somthing that interests you and then put your best foot forward. I agree with the short but impactul resume also. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Txbownut View Post
                    I recently switched jobs after 30 years. The first place I sent a resume to hired me, basically on the first interview. With your qualifications, you should have no problem getting hired. Companies are looking for people who will work, and keeping a youngun is definitely hard work. Look around until you find somthing that interests you and then put your best foot forward. I agree with the short but impactul resume also. Good luck!
                    I bet that was a breath of fresh after a 30 year career? I worked at one location and the same company for 34 years but never could bring myself to make the move to another job. But I did work for a good company, with great benefits that allowed me to retire at 53 so I shouldn't complain. Does make me wonder sometimes what a different career would have been like but I just wouldn't leave the stability I had.

To the op good luck in your new job hunt, you should be in the right area to find work.

Comment

Originally posted by hellbndr23 View Post

It was good that you were able to be a stay at home Dad and congrats for taking the time to step up. You probably appreciate and view your family in an entire different manner than some Fathers, including me!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by CoachStanton View Post

man how do I get this job? guessing you have to have a degree in an hr related field?

Comment

Good luck bud!

Comment

Working...
                              X