Best ammo- 300 wsm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best ammo- 300 wsm

I just purchased a thompson venture 300 wsm and will be buying some ammo.

What is your favorite whitetail round? I have not been getting good blood trails from the Barnes TSX from my 7mm-08.

Thanks

I've been using regular old Federal. Haven't needed a blood trail. DRT - 40 yds. Local WallyWorld got in a case of the Deer Thugs left over 180gr. $20 and change. The deer at 40 yds went further than the hog at 175 and the deer only went 20.

Comment

Was at range yesterday with my 300 wsm using 150gr Winchester XP rounds, very accurate in my Bar.

Comment

I have loved the tipped tsx 165 gr barnes ammo. Big holes and great blood trails if the animal has left the road. Ive killed deer, oryx, wildebeest and nilgai with them and have had no issues.

Comment

I went heavy when I won this hunt. Used HSM 210 vld.

Comment

I shoot Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips in 150 grain in my .300 WSM.

They have 180 grainers as well but I like the trajectory and ballistics of the 150 a bit better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are the ballistic Silvertips moly-coated as I have heard some people report?

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter2 View Post
                Are the ballistic Silvertips moly-coated as I have heard some people report?
                Lubrilox coating. They claim no velocity drop......but I will tell you there is just like moly.

Every Time I have reloaded with them I could go about 10% over max before I started to see pressure signs.

Comment

Originally posted by ar3731guy View Post
                  I have loved the tipped tsx 165 gr barnes ammo. Big holes and great blood trails if the animal has left the road. Ive killed deer, oryx, wildebeest and nilgai with them and have had no issues.

Same here. Extremely accurate in my gun to 400 yrds. Have killed WT, Mule deer, Elk hogs & a yote with it.

Comment

I shoot Federal Fusion in my 270wsm and it performs great. Deer usually don't run, but when they do its a good blood trail.

But, I would suggest trying a few different brands to see what shoots best in your particular rifle. Every gun will be different.

Comment

Working...
                    X