Water trough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water trough?

Hello guys...Due to the draught; I'm thinking about swinging by Tractor Supply to pick up 25 - 40 gallon water trough. I mean, my lease boarders the San Gabriel however, I figure it wouldn't hurt. I have a 55 gallon drum that I'm going to rig up as a mobile trough filler. I figure the deer may be as lazy as I am and stick a little closer if what is right there at my stand.

Thoughts?

I've been thinkin the same thing. Acouple of D-I-Y projects on here I think I might steal from.

Comment

here is mine...

not pretty or real straight but been standing for a year and half.

fill it up every month or so...

Comment

I've done similar. My advice is to use the deepest trough possible. TS makes an oval, galvanized trough that is deep and cheap. The more surface area ya have, the faster it'll evap, so you want less surface area and a deeper resevoir to last the longest between fills.
        Good luck

Comment

just be sure to put in some type of escape route for birds and mice etc. if one gets in and drowns it will foul a good thing. I use lightweight expanded metal but a tree limb will work just anything they can get up on then get over the edge of the trough.

Comment

good thinkin....haven't thought about that part yet. ^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
              just be sure to put in some type of escape route for birds and mice etc. if one gets in and drowns it will foul a good thing. I use lightweight expanded metal but a tree limb will work just anything they can get up on then get over the edge of the trough.
              notice how I cut mine right down the whole so they have an "escape route"

not that it was my initial intention.

Comment

hahaha....gotta love mistakes that work out!

Comment

Here is a couple of pics of what I did to put water in the feed pens. I use a small water barrel and left part of the barrel to cover the float switch so nothing will step on it and break it. I use the 200 gallon barrel in the truck to transfer water to the water totes. The critters use it a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Downwind View Post
                    Here is a couple of pics of what I did to put water in the feed pens. I use a small water barrel and left part of the barrel to cover the float switch so nothing will step on it and break it. I use the 200 gallon barrel in the truck to transfer water to the water totes. The critters use it a lot.

I would like to see your pics, doesn't look like they posted.

I'm in the process of doing the same thing, so far I have a 40gal black rubber/plastic tub that I bought at Tractor supply for $30 and a aluminum float I bought there for $14 and now I've picked up a 300 gallon plastic tank in a metal cage that I am going to use. I'm planning on having a hose from the big tank to the water trouph with a float on it. Hopefully once its all set up right I will have around 340 gallons of water at my hunting spot.

Comment

I'll try the pics again Grizz.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Seems like a lot of work...thank goodness for windmills and shallow water tables.
                        Gotta do what you gotta do though.

Comment

Thanks for posting Downwind, that is pretty much the same thing I am doing, I bought a 40 gal trouph from Tractor Supply and built a wood frame to it so the hogs can't flip it over, is the float valve working good as far as making the water start and stop running properly? The large cage tank is the same tank that I bought as well. Any idea how long this set up will last before it goes dry?

Comment

hey downwind, is that black barrell to small you think? It looks alittle small, you don't need to worry about evaporation? I have been hearing here in central/west texas you need to watch out for that

Comment

my setup in south texas lasts over a month

not to bad...

the float valve works great!

(mine is empty right now need to fill it maybe this weekend)

Comment

Working...
                              X