Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drought around San Saba, Will there be a die off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drought around San Saba, Will there be a die off?

I'm worried about next season. I hunt in between San Saba and Lometa and am worried about next year. I can't really afford to feed protein so I'm definately worried. Will there be a die off?

Only mother nature knows that for sure.

Comment

I am between San Saba and Bend, havent seen anything dying off yet.

Comment

Who knows.

Comment

The concern is warranted for sure. I have never experienced a die off, but I would hope that would not happen. One thing on our side is that these whitetails we love are extremely durable. I just keep praying for rain for all of us.

Comment

You may not have as many young ones this year which means you may just need to shoot less the next couple years.

Not sure how much you spend for hunting, but just $200-$300 per hunter would help during the drought and really not that much more overall. Or feed protein instead of corn if you are feeding it right now.

Comment

My in-laws live between San Saba & Lometa. Father-in-law farms & ranches. Where is your lease? I would expect slightly than higher mortality and maybe a low fawn crop, but have seen nothing to suggest a "die-off". We made a little wheat this year which is a major component in our deer's winter diet. Though it was a poor crop, I believed it saved us. In addition, they've had nearly three inches of rain in the last month. While that's not substantial, it will certainly help.

Comment

I would think fawns and older deer will have a tough time... when the fawns start hitting the ground the mama does will not have as much milk to feed them, then there is not much green vegitation growing...it will be tough on all of them....the toughest and strongest will be best and old and young will be the worst...

Comment

Working...
                X