• Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Sippy;6753720]

Well heck, next time be friendly

I was nervous I've never met anybody that famous

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
      Split 50/50, but im in charge of all things deer and maintenance.

Yes they do, but they just lick on it like the deer.

I havent had any get broken or anything by them.
      If it has salt in it hogs won't mess with it.

Comment

My wheat and oat plot is looking a lot better after last weeks drizzle. The first picture is the 10 acre plot.[ATTACH]467259[/ATTACH] The second picture is of my 2 acre buck forage oat plot that is getting grazed pretty heavily. [ATTACH]467265[/ATTACH]

The protein feeder isn't getting hit as hard as I anticipated, but I am switching to red chain 17% next week. [ATTACH]467266[/ATTACH]

The lake is low but still holding water. There were 3 gadwall on it this morning. Ill probably build a duck blind next month on it. [ATTACH]467267[/ATTACH]

This tank is very low. We need more rain bad![ATTACH]467268[/ATTACH]

Im going to be back out this coming week to bring out protein and plant about an acre of milo, so ill update again then.
        Unless you have a cage on your plots you have no idea how much they are eating. I would say drought is keeping short.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
          If it has salt in it hogs won't mess with it.
          Odd because I have pictures of them licking and rolling it around.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
            Unless you have a cage on your plots you have no idea how much they are eating. I would say drought is keeping short.
            Actually you can tell they are eating it due to the amount of ends that have been torn off.

But yes, growth cages are useful tools.

Comment

Cages are great.....but you can definitely tell they are eating by looking for the squared off ends of oats or just stems of clover, etc....

You won't know exactly how much they are eating but if its short with tell tale signs of browsing...they are eating alot of it.
              Last edited by unclefish; 03-13-2013, 01:09 PM.

Comment

I've got a general question for you Sippy and the rest of the guys whom are implementing food plots, supplemental feeding, and other "herd management" practices. How are y'all going about making your decisions, are you utilizing your local extension agency? researching the internet? trial and error?

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
                  I've got a general question for you Sippy and the rest of the guys whom are implementing food plots, supplemental feeding, and other "herd management" practices. How are y'all going about making your decisions, are you utilizing your local extension agency? researching the internet? trial and error?
                  How about the Green Screen Brain Trust?

Comment

i think a little bit of all the above. i am meeting with with county wildlife biologist on april 2 to help with some habitata management stuff, they will meet with you and look at your place for free.

Comment

I practice what I learn in class and what i hear from biologist. Some of this includes internet research.

I haven't dealt with any of the extension agencies so far.

Comment

I practice what I learn in class and what i hear from biologist. Some of this includes internet research.

I haven't dealt with any of the extension agencies so far.
                        I assume you're a WFSC major?

Comment

Wildlife management. Tarleton doesn't do the fish side if it.

Comment

Trial and error.....there is nothing else like it!

Comment

We saw 16 deer tonight and tiff almost got a shot off on a running hog.

All the deer were very spooky, I think the hogs have them screwed up.

Comment

Just got back, it is hot!

Wednesday i stopped by Gorman Milling on the way to get 1000# or corn and 1000# of 17% protein. Good prices and nice people there, and the feed looks good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130313_104623.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	24180432

The Boss Buck went up with ease but the hole in the top is pretty dang small and you have to guide the bag into it and pour it pretty slow or you will end up with $10 on the ground pretty quick.

Name:	IMG_20130313_145356.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	24180433

This morning we saw 5 doe and 3 bucks but no hogs. I plowed the acre or so where I was planning on planting milo but it was a brick. After 2 cuts with the chisel plow and 4 cuts with the disk the clods are still the size of softballs. The soil temperature is right for planting but I am going to have to wait for some moisture just to plow it, so I should be planting after the next rain.

Name:	IMG_20130314_112857.jpg
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	24180434

Filled all the feeders and put out 2 Trophy Rocks at the feeders we call the "Hog" and "Griffin Road." I also put a camera at the "Hog" because that is where the most action seems to be. It will be like christmas morning when I get to check it next week.

Name:	IMG_20130314_113333.jpg
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	24180435
                                Last edited by Sippy; 03-14-2013, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X