No announcement yet.

2016 Draw Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My kids have several points as do I. I am considering trying a new strategy this year where we all put in on Hunt separately to increase the odds of at least someone getting to go. As I have stated before the new system sucks in my opinion. When I apply for Wyoming hunts for example I cannot put in for every hunt in every antelope Unit. I have to pick my top three choices . Many hunts in the Texas draw system now have into the thousands of applicants for very few permits.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane924 View Post
      After several years with zero luck on the draws, I have decided to take my money elsewhere. CO over the counter. Success odds are lower for the OTC hunts, but at least the opportunity is there. 100's of dollars, and multiple seasons have been lost trying to draw a "high odd's" archery doe permit's in Texas (while also trying to the harder draws).

Something needs to change with the current system.
      OTC hunts in Colorado may have lower success odds but a lot of that comes from lazy hunting. if you do your homework and get away from the easy to get to spots, the success results go up. I've hunted OTC in unit 80 3 times and killed 2 bulls on public land. They're there but not many close to the roads.

Comment

I've been reading some of these post and I'm just wondering what the chances are of getting drawn the first year putting in? I didn't really apply for in any of the WT, mostly the exotic ones. What are the chances that I will get drawn on the first year?

Comment

Originally posted by Luremaker View Post
          What are the chances that I will get drawn on the first year?
          Just as good as the next guy. I drew a exotic hunt on my 2nd try about 4 years ago. Think they drew 20 or 25 permits out of over 2,000 app.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
            Just as good as the next guy. I drew a exotic hunt on my 2nd try about 4 years ago. Think they drew 20 or 25 permits out of over 2,000 app.
            that would be pretty cool to get drawn that early, I applied for 8 total so maybe it will happen early

Comment

Originally posted by Luremaker View Post
              that would be pretty cool to get drawn that early, I applied for 8 total so maybe it will happen early
              I wouldn't hold my breath hoping for one. But first time applicants draw all the time. And then some people have never been drawn that have put in since the beginning. New system makes it worse, but there's always a chance.

Comment

Ole lady drew a gator tag.... 2nd year to apply... kinda pumped for her... got a question anyone drew a gator tag for jd murphree before

Comment

Originally posted by setx View Post
                  Ole lady drew a gator tag.... 2nd year to apply... kinda pumped for her... got a question anyone drew a gator tag for jd murphree before
                  http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...light=murphree

Comment

Thanks for the post... answered some questions... one more, how many people without a tag can go w her on hunt.... just her and I?

Comment

Thanks for the post... answered some questions... one more, how many people without a tag can go w her on hunt.... just her and I?

I think you have to be permitted to enter the hunt units. That's the way it has been on all the hunts that I've been on.

Comment

We drew gator tag last year on second chance drawing. No gator tag this year. Oh Well!

Comment

Originally posted by Timemachine View Post
                          We drew gator tag last year on second chance drawing. No gator tag this year. Oh Well!
                          No second chance drawing?

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                            No second chance drawing?
                            Everyone on the first draw already send in permit fees, maybe?

Comment

Only permitted hunters can go.

Comment

filled out all my applications last night, went for more than i have any other year...hopefully i'll get selected for some type of exotic or mule deer hunt this year.

Does anyone have an answer to what happens if you get drawn and are unable to attend? do you decline the hunt and keep your points or do you start at zero and miss the hunt (in the event of getting drawn for 2 hunts at the same time in 2 different locations)

Comment

Working...
                                X