Other birds that sound like turkeys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other birds that sound like turkeys?

Are there other birds that sound like turkeys?

I was at the deer lease yesterday 1230, stupid hot and swear I heard a turkey. We are 2 miles west of Weches, out near Crockett in east texas. Haven't seen or heard one out there ever. Been on this place for three years.

I'm not sure what sound you heard that sounds like a turkey. If you heard what you think is a gobble I would think that is pretty unique to a turkey only. Is there any nearby Texas Parks & Wildlife management land? If so, it's quite possible they may have had turkey releases over the years and could see some stragglers here and there. My parents had one show up on their backyard a few years back. Ive never seen or heard them while hunting but there is a nearby wildlife management area that has released them off and on since the early 90's.

Comment

What turkey sound did you hear cluck, yelp or gobble? There are several birds that may sound a little like a turkey yelping or clucking, but only one gobbles.

Comment

Yes!! Mockingbirds are notorious for mimicking other birds!! I've witnessed some of them make the best darn hen yelps you could make!

Comment

Guineas sound similar to hens and are popular farm/ ranch pets...
          Click image for larger version

Name:	guinea.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	23935870

The neighbor's domestic turkeys have fooled me a few times, too...

Comment

Davy Crockett National Forest is all around us. No residential anywhere close.

No gobbles just clucks and yelps. I kinda figured it was some other bird. I don't know much about turkeys but I figured they wouldn't be out and about in the heat of the day.

Comment

Those **** wood peckers sound just like turkeys. For about 5yrs (keep in mind that I learned to hunt on my own starting at 14yrs old) I would hear these "turkeys" and never see them. I would get all pumped up. One day, this **** wood ****** landed in my tree and made the very noise. I've since seen the birds, cluck, pur and even high pitch gobble.

Comment

That's funny, it didn't bleep out woodpecker the first time, but it did the second time. It's just a bird, I swear.

Comment

A Mockingbird can mimick several different birds in one breath. Pretty cool. I have one that sits on the power line and sounds like a quail, whipporwill, and purple martin all at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
                    Those **** wood peckers sound just like turkeys. For about 5yrs (keep in mind that I learned to hunt on my own starting at 14yrs old) I would hear these "turkeys" and never see them. I would get all pumped up. One day, this **** wood ****** landed in my tree and made the very noise. I've since seen the birds, cluck, pur and even high pitch gobble.
                    agree with this one. It's the large woodpecker that is mostly brown. About twice the size of the red headed ones. Have heard them do it myself and the sound alot like a turkey.

Comment

Working...
                    X