Why buy/use a single shot rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why buy/use a single shot rifle?

Why do you use a single shot rifle? Are there any benefits to using one over a bolt action or semi-auto? I get some of them look really nice, but I am wondering why people would prefer a single shot over other types of rifles. Personally I have always used a bolt action while hunting. I rarely need the second shot, but it is nice to know that it is there if necessary.

I understand why you may want one for youths and teaching kids how to shoot and hunt, but I am curious as to the advantage of the single shot over other types of actions for adults and those kids who are not learning how to hunt.

Like my uncle use to say....... " All you need is one bullet "

Comment

no reciprocating bolt makes her extra quiet

Comment

One shot, one kill.

Comment

I've used a single shot Thompson Center with my Inlaws. They have a lot of guest, and it is just a safer gun when you know its unloaded because all the bullets are in your pocket. That being said, those things are sweet shooting guns! You can actually reload them pretty quick. My wife killed 6 pigs in one hunt with that little single shot 22-250.

Comment

Builds better head pressure. Ergo more true velocity which equals better accuracy. Time after time. Bolt action is a real close second but autos and pumps begin the open action upon discharge, reducing pressure and velocity, same holds true with shotguns, also less and easier to clean,

Comment

I just like it.

Comment

Ruger No. 1 is a sexy piece of equipment. Other than looks, I don't really know

Comment

Have a Ruger No.1 in 7x57. For the reason you covered in your post, just looks classy.

Comment

I coyote hunted with my Ruger No. 1 in 25/06 for a couple years. Killed three of them on one stand once. All came in at once too, but one of them got it going away. I never have felt handicapped using a single shot. Killed several deer with a TC also, rifles and pistols. My son has killed 43 hogs (as of Monday) with his Encore and a bunch of deer, and he has several bolt guns and lever guns. My weapon of choice for deer now, is my APR in .280 Rem, but my Encore in the same caliber shoots just as well.

Comment

Now y’all are making me want to try one out. Maybe I’ll pick up one of those CVA hunters from Academy.

Comment

I've always been a single shot fan, have never felt dis-advantaged, I wish I could find a good quality single shot shotgun.

Comment

One of my target rifles is single shot and I love it, also glad it’s single shot because the trigger is set at about 4 ounces

Comment

Ruger number 1 in 6.5 Creedmore. Deadly

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                              Why do you use a single shot rifle? Are there any benefits to using one over a bolt action or semi-auto? I get some of them look really nice, but I am wondering why people would prefer a single shot over other types of rifles. Personally I have always used a bolt action while hunting. I rarely need the second shot, but it is nice to know that it is there if necessary.

I understand why you may want one for youths and teaching kids how to shoot and hunt, but I am curious as to the advantage of the single shot over other types of actions for adults and those kids who are not learning how to hunt.
                              You must misunderstand the term "bolt action" They can be single shot or repeaters. I have many of both types.

For the utmost accuracy single shot bolt actions are used, typically they are stiffer due to not having a cut out in it for a magazine. They can be right handed left ported or right ported or left handed left ported or right ported.

Other single shot actions are but not limited to break open, falling block, rolling block and lever. The appeal is often the looks and for the same length of barrel they are more compact over bolt guns due to the action.

22-250 I built for my daughter in school colors.

Last edited by sendit; 11-16-2017, 05:36 PM. Reason: addes pic

Comment

Working...
                              X