Help me Impress my in laws...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me Impress my in laws...

So my in laws just bought a condo in Port Isabel by South Padre. Great place and took the family there this past weekend. However I felt really out of place as everyone there spoke/ordered in Spanish and I was the one they had to translate for. Hoping I could get some GS advice on how to learn some spanish? We are heading back in November for Thanksgiving and would like to wow them a little.

As always thanks in advance for you time and knowledge,

Rusto

If you're just looking for some basic conversational stuff, try buying a book of common phrases and practice, practice, practice. I'm sure you can find one cheap on Amazon. Every time you go to a Mexican Restaurant, try ordering in Spanish. Don't be shy! If anything, they'll be impressed with your efforts. !Buena suerte!

Comment

So standing up and banging your fists on the table in unison and saying firmly "Speak English, this is America! Dammit!" Isn't the approach you want to take?

I'd enroll in Spanish in your local jr or community college.

Comment

Just wait until they're done translating and say,Gracias! Play it off like you knew Spanish the whole time.

Comment

Have one of them teach you? College class will be too slow paced plus you don't need to know how to write proper paragraphs etc. I hear good things about Rosetta Stone. A book still leaves you to figure out pronunciation which is the tough part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pimsleur is the best course out there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Duolingo. It's basically a crowd sourced language leaning site. You get paired with a partner whose native tongue is that which your u want to learn and you have online meetings to learn the language.

My boss' daughter learned Norwegian this way

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                So standing up and banging your fists on the table in unison and saying firmly "Speak English, this is America! Dammit!" Isn't the approach you want to take?
                Absolutely hysterical...

Comment

Ask your wife to help you?

Comment

if your wife can't teach you I think you're out of luck

Comment

Dude, just be the lovable Gringo. Impress them by loving their daughter and taking good care of her. Impress them by offering to buy that meal that they ordered in Spanish. Impress them by being kind and friendly and comfortable to be around. Impress them by being sure of yourself and refusing to learn another language just to impress someone. Your wife obviously loves you for who you are....if they don't then learning Spanish isn't going to help much. Good luck and remember to tell her mom...."Mi gusta tu chi chis". That means "I love your daughter".

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                        Dude, just be the lovable Gringo. Impress them by loving their daughter and taking good care of her. Impress them by offering to buy that meal that they ordered in Spanish. Impress them by being kind and friendly and comfortable to be around. Impress them by being sure of yourself and refusing to learn another language just to impress someone. Your wife obviously loves you for who you are....if they don't then learning Spanish isn't going to help much. Good luck and remember to tell her mom...."Mi gusta tu chi chis". That means "I love your daughter".
                        Best advice on the internet! But daughter is chi chis y culo

Comment

Originally posted by Sneaky View Post
                          Pimsleur is the best course out there!

This
                          I learned German with these cds

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                            Once again, you win the Internet, good sir.

Comment

He said, "culo"

Comment

Working...
                              X