Whitsett area hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whitsett area hunting?

A buddy of mine has a lead on a place close to choke canyon lake and whitsett. I'm not real familiar with the area as far as numbers, quality of deer and basically what to expect so thought I'd come to the fire for input. My buddy will see it this weekend and get back to me but i figure just the location is a win for me since I work a lot in the general area and it's only about an hour from home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My ex FIL has two monsters on his wall from back before the lake was there

Comment

Good genetics, deer numbers, and bird hunting. I'd love to find a place out there.

Comment

That's good to hear ! I always say I'm going to get after the ducks out there but find them closer to home and don't bother with the earlier wake up. . . or the alligators!

Comment

Good country and big deer but better check on oil leases on property. If oil keep going up activity could increase significantly and a lot of oil field traffic/drilling activity could hamper you hunting.

Comment

Good point

Comment

Lot of HF places in that area with some areas of smaller subdivision type land. Puts a lot of hunting pressure on the deer herd. Lot of deer numbers that has resulted in smaller body size for South Texas deer. Whitsett at one time was a town full of poachers. The genetics can be very good if the place is surrounded by larger ranches and lightly hunted(it was still poached probably thru the years). I grew up hunting family land in Northern Live Oak county to the east of Whitsett in the old farm land area. Deer numbers were to high at times and quality was bad all the time, still is today. 120 class deer on top end at best in that area due to hunting pressure.

Comment

I had a lease on one place about 15 miles west of Whitsett that got ruined by oil wells and traffic. Landowner got rich but the place got trashed. Had really good genetics. A low fence 170+ was definitely possible back then.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
                  Lot of HF places in that area with some areas of smaller subdivision type land. Puts a lot of hunting pressure on the deer herd. Lot of deer numbers that has resulted in smaller body size for South Texas deer. Whitsett at one time was a town full of poachers. The genetics can be very good if the place is surrounded by larger ranches and lightly hunted(it was still poached probably thru the years). I grew up hunting family land in Northern Live Oak county to the east of Whitsett in the old farm land area. Deer numbers were to high at times and quality was bad all the time, still is today. 120 class deer on top end at best in that area due to hunting pressure.
                  Fashing? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                    Fashing? Lol
                    Esseville

Comment

I hunt between fashing and campbellton and let me tell hunting pressure in that area is intense. I have seen some 140 ish deer over the years, but definitely not the norm. I know this isn't where you're talking about, but similar country.

Comment

Hunted there for 2yrs until the owner sold the place. We were on 500ac and saw decent numbers but no bucks over 120-130 except one that had a tag in its ear. Awesome turkey and hog hunting though.

Comment

Nice. Maybe I'll finally get a shot at a gobbler

Comment

Working...
                          X