Made my first indian arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made my first indian arrow

I made my first plains style Indian arrow with hide glue, real sinew, cut in self nock, split the full length feathers, lightning groove etched in with powdered pigment. This was all new to me and was a huge learning experience, test of time and my patience lol. I've built a couple (mediocre at best) self bows too, so its time to tune that skill next.

Is any one else interested in stuff like this? I wouldn't mind taking some classes or simply hanging around and learning from some local folks to increase my knowledge and skill of building stuff like this.
    Attached Files

Looks good! Do you plan to shoot it?

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
      Looks good! Do you plan to shoot it?
      That is the question ive been asking myself since I started!

I spread the project over 4 weeks, and I probably have 8-10 hrs in it. Many boyers can build a few bows in that time lol, but im slow and methodical. Ill bet the next one will go by much faster.

Its sitting on top of a European mount for display but im willing to bet temptation will give way

Comment

That's pretty cool looking right there!

Good work!

Bisch

Comment

Really looks good. The nock looks really good for their pinch style of shooting!

Comment

Awesome. I've only done 2 fletch, might have to try the fletch next time.

Comment

Cool!!

Comment

I say shoot it into a rabbit. Will make a way better decoration with a story behind it! Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by Tracker0721 View Post
                  I say shoot it into a rabbit. Will make a way better decoration with a story behind it! Nice work!
                  Unless that trade point is 7/8" wide, it would not be legal to hunt game animals with that arrow in TX.

Bisch
                  Last edited by Bisch; 03-30-2015, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                    Unless that trade point is 7/8" wide, it would not be legal to hunt game animals with that arrow in TX.

Bisch
                    Make yourself a coon skin hat instead.

Comment

Now there are some good ideas!

Thanks for the tip regarding point width. Ive got a few A-bowyer tradepoints, and a couple made from flattened spoons that should do the trick!

Comment

Pretty cool!

Comment

Way cool! Enjoyed seeing your work.
                          I've started a couple of arrows but of the medieval variety. A neat part of archery is the DIY area. Next I'm looking at a long bow and then others maybe.

Comment

Very cool stuff right there

Comment

I am interested in making those and plains bows. Been doing some research but not time yet to start one.

Comment

Working...
                              X