Question for 'Season Long' Bow Hunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for 'Season Long' Bow Hunters

Basically, do you find yourself being less stringent about scent control as the season progresses?
    I'm not talking about wearing your hunting cloths while cooking up some bacon or changing the oil on your truck - but just not doing all the little things you did at the start of the season?
    I'm still careful about washing my cloths, changing after each hunt, etc. But I don't find myself spraying down with 'scent removal' stuff near as much, my gloves may go several hunts without washing, etc.

I do not use any sprays or coverups but I wash my clothes about twice per season and either smoke them or keep them in a container with s bunch of scent wafers in them. Hunting out of an enclosed blind like a Maverick helps tremendously in keeping scent contained at least it dhows on my place.

Comment

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
      Basically, do you find yourself being less stringent about scent control as the season progresses?
      I'm not talking about wearing your hunting cloths while cooking up some bacon or changing the oil on your truck - but just not doing all the little things you did at the start of the season?
      I'm still careful about washing my cloths, changing after each hunt, etc. But I don't find myself spraying down with 'scent removal' stuff near as much, my gloves may go several hunts without washing, etc.
      Why do you think that is?

Comment

As the season progresses the deer get more educated. Pigs even more so. I try to be consistent with my scent control but sometimes you don't get the chance and have to make do. Usually I'm pretty careful until I shoot a good buck and then I tend to slack off a little. Popups and enclosed blinds do definitely help control your scent but sometimes you get winded no matter how careful you are. Just try to play the wind and always be mindful of what you are tracking into your setups with your foot gear.

Comment

I just hunt the wind and wear what I have on. I'm not beating a deer's nose unless I hunt the wind- Camoflauge doesn't work when you are moving- if you don't move deer don't see you. I have killed more critters in jeans and a tan Carhartt jacket than anything else

Comment

I never hunt a stand when the winds not in my favor. To me, that’s the most important aspect of bow hunting.

Comment

I try to stick to the same plan but if I have my "trophy" tag filled, I admit to being a little more lax....especially if it is cooler/cold, I know the wind will be in my blind's face and at a good speed. And by lax, I mean, I might wear the same clothes on more than one hunt without airing them out or not spray down as heavily or take mores chances with suspect winds in a high activity blind. Hell I might even bring a drink in a RTic thermos.. It's purely a feel thing.

I get busted occasionally by the deer that circle but I'm not as mad at it with my tag filled. Plus the food supply is down in late December and our deer always seem a little more tolerant when they have to have it. If I don't have my "trophy" tag filled I am super consistent with scent control until I do so or the season comes to an end.
              Last edited by Smart; 12-04-2017, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
                I never hunt a stand when the winds not in my favor. To me, that’s the most important aspect of bow hunting.
                This. I am more worried about wind than my gear.

Comment

I only hunt a stand if wind is right for that setup. I only go in and out of setup from planned entry and exit routes. I use scent free detergent so that IF I brush against something it doesn't leave as much human Odor.

I do this every time, no need for snake oil sprays. If a deer is looking for danger, they will find it

Comment

The only times I've ever had deer downwind of me and NOT spook is when I've either had ozone running or when I've had some smoke sticks burning. Every other time I've had deer downwind of me, no matter how meticulous I was about scent control, they smelled me and spooked. I still wash my clothes in scent free soap. I still do what I can to minimize my scent. But I think it's pretty futile if you don't use ozone.

Comment

I actually modified my ozonics 200 and added a plug so I can plug in an external power source. I've put it in my pack that I carry with me to the stand and just let it run overnight. I was amazed the first time I did this. My pack was like it was brand new again as was everything in it. I also have a plastic tub (rubbermaid or similar) that I put my clothes in and put my ozinics in there with them... that helps too. Since my tripod collapse accident a few years ago, I've also pretty much become a pop up ground dweller and that ozonics is almost always hanging over the only open window and I think that helps A LOT... though it still won't allow me to fool a smart old boar or mature sow... All that and I still do my best to hunt the wind however...

Comment

Originally posted by brett a View Post
                        this. I am more worried about wind than my gear.
                        x100

Comment

Honestly depends on if I have killed a nice deer or not. But I also try to hunt the wind best I can.

Comment

I worked on my landowners tractor the last two weekends in my hunting clothes and still had several deer inside 10 yds of me sitting on the ground. Some came from down wind other came from up wind but none busted out smelling me

Comment

Hunt the wind.
                              If your setup doesn't favor a certain wind direction set up an alternative stand.
                              This time of year, North breezes are going to be more dominate and you can cover your scent with rut scents, and when bucks are looking for does they are less cautious so your chances increase.

Comment

Working...
                              X