No announcement yet.

Educate me on synthetic plastic stocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The original question about factory stocks has barely been touched on so I'll throw in what little experience I have. Savage 111, long action factory plastic. Never could get good accuracy and the stock eventually wore bluing off the barrel where it was flexing when shot. Even though it seemed to be free floated it was contacting the barrel when shot. Thought about trying to bed the stock but read where the epoxy does not bond well to the plastic. First shot will always hit where aimed but the rest walk away. Will be replacing it one of these days but I have other rifles so I'm in no hurry.
    PS this rifle is more than 10 yrs old. it is not one of the Accustocks.

Comment

I threw my Houge away. I wasn't a fan of it at all for all of the above listed reasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is great input guys. Thanks

Comment

For a plastic stock on a factory rifle, I'd suggest a Weatherby Vanguard S2 or a Tikka T3 Lite. I've owned both, and that was a big reason why.

The Tikka is free floated and has a lug built into the stock.

Ruger Americans are really accurate but definitey put a Boyd's stock on it ($129). You can bed the two b-blocks and have a nice floated barrel

Comment

Being a rifle buff I have all three different types , wood , fiberglass, plastic,
            1. The plastic comes on savage axis, etc cheaper/ lower end rifles. Accuracy fair not great "some can but most not "
            2. Fiberglass heavy, accuracy good , mid to upper tier /Remington 700 best bang/ accuracy right out of box
            3. Wood classic looks, accuracy better than plastic all day long , every brand and price structure.

This is just my opinion, but you get what you pay for, and to me $500is a great start point
            Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 08-28-2017, 05:03 PM.

Comment

All we have in "long guns" are synthetic except for one...and we will NEVER get rid of it. The "wood" is a Browning A-Bolt Medallion in 270. With all the engraving on the metal and the gorgeous wood, it's a safe queen...so THIS is why we only shoot synthetic's anymore. I honestly can't say which are "plastic" or fiberglass? We have them in Ruger, Savage, Marlin, Remington, Howa, etc. and they all go BANG and when sighted in properly they all are DRT depending on the skill of who is shooting them.

IMO, combine a synthetic with a SS or All Weather and they are hard to beat..if you can live with the look?

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                For a plastic stock on a factory rifle, I'd suggest a Weatherby Vanguard S2 or a Tikka T3 Lite. I've owned both, and that was a big reason why.

The Tikka is free floated and has a lug built into the stock.

Ruger Americans are really accurate but definitey put a Boyd's stock on it ($129). You can bed the two b-blocks and have a nice floated barrel
                Meant to say V-blocks. It's an easy DIY with JB Weld

Comment

My savage 112 I believe has the accustock and imo it is leaps and bounds better then a lot of cheap synthetic. It's solid, and feels like it's actually quality vs the Tupperware that came on my Marlin. I haven't even considered swapping it, in fact I painted it shortly after I got it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I put a hogue over molded pillar bedded on my 243 heavy varmint 700. I've been happy with it

Comment

Do your self a favor and buy a tikka and don't look back.

Other option I have not seen mentioned would be a howa which comes with the hogue stock

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
                        Do your self a favor and buy a tikka and don't look back.

Other option I have not seen mentioned would be a howa which comes with the hogue stock
                        good deal , so I actually started a thread inquiring about HOWA rifles, so this is more good info. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X