Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've been experimenting with a feather rest.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been experimenting with a feather rest.

I thought I'd try a few different elevated rests on my recurve and see how I like it. I decided to start out with an "old school" feather rest. I know they used to to be very common but I had never seen one on anyone's bow. After searching a few other trad forums I found that there are quite a few people who still use a feather rest and swear by them. I mounted it a few days ago:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	frest1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	25021770
    It only raises the arrow a little more than a shaft's width above the shelf
    Click image for larger version

Name:	frest2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	25021771
    I've shot around 100 arrows across it and so far I like it. I seem to get good arrow flight even when my release is sloppy or flinchy. My first question was about durability but I've told since it is made from wild turkey feathers they last a long time and are fairly water resistant. We'll see. The feathers near the riser are slightly shorter to cradle the arrow
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jerp; 07-05-2014, 02:07 PM.

Cool deal jerp! Keep us informed on how well it does over time.

Comment

I've used them for years, shot thousands of arrows off them. might try some fletch dry or other product if rain is anticipated.

Comment

I have seen them mounted before, waayyy back long ago. I think I remember trying one myself but it just didn't do anything for me. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Can you post a link of how to build one??

Comment

[QUOTE=popup_menace;8776908]Can you post a link of how to build one??[/QUOTE

If you go on tradgang and search posts by a guy that goes by "Trap" he explains how he makes them. In fact I think he makes them for Three Rivers where I got mine. They are only about $12

Comment

Working...
            X