Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 01-01-2018, 07:17 PM   #1
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Angelina/Trinity Counties
Exclamation Hog Trapping Tips

Hogs have finally reappeared at our place and they won’t come out for us during daylight. I’ve decided I want to try my hand in trapping.

This is the trap I’m considering getting.

Any tips?

I plan to bait it for a week or so before setting it. There’s an area by one of my feeders they frequent so I’ll put it there.

I plan to set the trap with the “root stick” method.

Anything else I should know?
Attached Images

Last edited by HoustonHunter; 01-01-2018 at 07:27 PM.
HoustonHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 07:25 PM   #2
WTucker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mauriceville

Corn and more corn. Also we have a few box traps and they are ok, but we catch a lot more in the corral traps.

Edit: pin the trap open until they start aiming in reliably so you can catch more at one time.

Last edited by WTucker; 01-01-2018 at 07:29 PM.
WTucker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 09:25 PM   #3
Ynotdrum
Four Point

Hunt In: Menard county and Travis county

I've learned not to kill them inside the cage. For some reason it makes the cage useless for a month or so. Maybe smell/gland they release? Plus the fun part is having a few hunters ready about 50 or so yards out at different locations. (No cross firing) and then one guy (that's the fun part) has to open cage and the pigs run and its on. Lol
Ynotdrum is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 09:29 PM   #4
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynotdrum View Post
I've learned not to kill them inside the cage. For some reason it makes the cage useless for a month or so. Maybe smell/gland they release? Plus the fun part is having a few hunters ready about 50 or so yards out at different locations. (No cross firing) and then one guy (that's the fun part) has to open cage and the pigs run and its on. Lol
Dude, I did your style.
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 09:54 PM   #5
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Put your shooters at the trap, shooting straight away---safer that way. And, I had a trap with that type of door but changed it as the spring wasn't closing the door quickly enough. Got tired of that too and now it is a top-hinged door--my favorite type.

Corn and corn and corn---paint the ground gold. I also have a 50-lb bucket feeder sitting on top of my traps---sitting on a box so the corn hits the inside of the box and falls directly into the trap.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 10:13 PM   #6
Muskles
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

When I was trapping, I preferred a guillotine style door. I would back a cattle trailer up to it and load them in it. Strap a piece of plywood, a little shorter than the bottom of the door on your trailer, across the front of the trap before backing up to it. This way they don't run under the trailer. Take em home and shoot em in the trailer, then process.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Muskles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 11:05 PM   #7
stxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County

The trap I built a while back is similar to this. The only thing I don't like about the one you have is it doesn't appear there are any supports on the sides?

Normally what I do is put a stick to prop the door open between the corner of the trap and the side of the door. Pig walks in, pushes the stick and the door closes behind them. We've caught as many as 5 pigs at one time in a 4x6 trap this way.

For bait I've tried all sorts of things. Corn with a little diesel (worked) corn with strawberry jello (worked) and of course the old faithful straight corn (worked).

I think the key, like you mentioned, is to let them get used to it. Sprinkle a little corn outside with most of it inside at the very back and even behind the door.
stxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 07:37 AM   #8
walker1983
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shackelford Co, Parker Co, Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTucker View Post
Corn and more corn. Also we have a few box traps and they are ok, but we catch a lot more in the corral traps.

Edit: pin the trap open until they start aiming in reliably so you can catch more at one time.

Corral Traps are the best. Build one or two big circular corral traps with a one way door. Corn it up for a week or two and then set trap. Even after the trap is tripped, the others keep pushing in.

Catch the whole group instead of just a few.
walker1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 07:42 AM   #9
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Bingo, this is what I'd do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 07:43 AM   #10
TD2000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens County

Hang a board halfway down across front door

Helps prevent catching deer
TD2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 07:45 AM   #11
Ten Point

Hunt In: Williamson,Coryell, Bell

Following
10132297 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 08:09 AM   #12
techzan
Six Point

Hunt In: Kimble County

I have the same trap & hogs were escaping until I got an additional heavy duty spring that made it impossible for them to pry open the gate. I also had to get metal spikes welded on the door to help prevent their noses from prying it open.
techzan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 09:21 AM   #13
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

I would go with a couple of figure 6 traps over that style. Not as mobile but you can catch more at once with them.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 10:07 PM   #14
Kevin7243
Six Point

Hunt In: Lometa Texas

Build your own out of cattle panel. The bigger the trap the more pigs you’ll catch. The re entry doors don’t work all that well. There a lot of videos on YouTube. One company in particular has a lot of great videos. All the videos how to use their $5000.00 trap. I just made one similar, with a mechanical trigger instead of a wireless remote trigger. The videos are very informational though, deffinately help me be successful
Kevin7243 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #15
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Bring a shovel when you set it up. Fill the bottom with dirt, leaves, pinestraw, whatever to cover up the wire. Mine don't like walking on it.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 10:20 PM   #16
Bumpy
Ten Point

That trap looks cheaply made imo
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 10:23 PM   #17
ReneC.
Four Point

Hunt In: Searching

Doesnít look very sturdy
ReneC. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 10:26 PM   #18
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post
That trap looks cheaply made imo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneC. View Post
Doesn’t look very sturdy
I’ll be reinforcing the sides and back with T posts. Not looking for the end all, be all of traps, just looking to get my feet wet with something that’s portable way out in the sticks where it’s hard to get to.

Any tips?

Last edited by HoustonHunter; 01-02-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:35 PM   #19
1riot1ranger
Eight Point

Hunt In: Real County - The Divide

That will catch them but it will catch deer too. That makes the corral trap better because deer can jump out. I let my neighbor put a similar trap on my place and he caught three axis in it. His has a trigger panel that has to be stepped on; mine has a string catch. I think the deer reach over the string without tripping it as I've seen deer in it on game cams but never had one trip the string. His trap also has a side panel that can be dropped to retrieve the dead hogs. That is much easier than crawling inside to pull a big hog out through the door. So, If you use this style, a side panel that can be dropped is good and in my experience the string trigger is better. I've also been told that you can brush in the top of the door to keep the deer out. Hogs will push through the brush but deer wont. Can't say for sure cause I haven't tried that. I've caught multiple hogs in that style trap several times; 5 is the most but 3-4 is not uncommon. I've also tried all kinds of bait and plain corn seems to be the best.
1riot1ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 10:38 PM   #20
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1riot1ranger View Post
That will catch them but it will catch deer too. That makes the corral trap better because deer can jump out. I let my neighbor put a similar trap on my place and he caught three axis in it. His has a trigger panel that has to be stepped on; mine has a string catch. I think the deer reach over the string without tripping it as I've seen deer in it on game cams but never had one trip the string. His trap also has a side panel that can be dropped to retrieve the dead hogs. That is much easier than crawling inside to pull a big hog out through the door. So, If you use this style, a side panel that can be dropped is good and in my experience the string trigger is better. I've also been told that you can brush in the top of the door to keep the deer out. Hogs will push through the brush but deer wont. Can't say for sure cause I haven't tried that. I've caught multiple hogs in that style trap several times; 5 is the most but 3-4 is not uncommon. I've also tried all kinds of bait and plain corn seems to be the best.
Thanks for the advice. Iím looking at ways to make sure deer donít get in.

After getting the trap, this one has a string catch it the back.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:45 PM   #21
Gherkin05
Ten Point

Hunt In: NM,CO,TX

I went with a door from ASF and built a large enclosure with welded-wire panels and t-posts. I've had little luck with the smaller box traps.

I like to catch 3-6 @ a time as opposed to 1. And they seem more willing to go into larger enclosures.

I use a halyard snap for my trigger/trip wire. Works great. You don't need a big one, $10 one from Amazon will do the trick.
Gherkin05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 11:00 PM   #22
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

I ended up getting this trap today, it was priced very well and close to home. I’m happy with it, we will see what the pigs think. I’ve learned a lot of my hunting experiences are trial and error. I’ve dabbled in trapping so far, caught lots of coons throughout the years and a beaver last year, but this is my first go at pigs. I believe trapping pigs, too, will be lots of trial and error.

I’ll be reinforcing the sides and back with t posts/u bolts and have purchased a new spring that had more “oomph” in it.

If they don’t like this box, I’ll move on to bigger and better.

I appreciate the input thus far.

Last edited by HoustonHunter; 01-02-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:33 PM   #23
Muskles
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHunter View Post
I ended up getting this trap today, it was priced very well and close to home. Iím happy with it, we will see what the pigs think. Iíve learned a lot of my hunting experiences are trial and error. Iíve dabbled in trapping so far, caught lots of coons throughout the years and a beaver last year, but this is my first go at pigs. I believe trapping pigs, too, will be lots of trial and error.

Iíll be reinforcing the sides and back with t posts/u bolts and have purchased a new spring that had more ďoomphĒ in it.

If they donít like this box, Iíll move on to bigger and better.

I appreciate the input thus far.
Will you post a pic with the door closed?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Muskles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2018, 10:51 PM   #24
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Iím looking at ways to make sure deer donít get in.

After getting the trap, this one has a string catch it the back.
Sour the corn for a few days in water and you wonít have to worry about deer. Might take a week with how cold it is now.
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 02:31 PM   #25
Bazo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can

I fill a 5 gallon bucket and pour diesel on it. The hogs love it and it keeps a lot of the other corn eating critter out. Also, run a sting of barbwire across the front. It will help keep the deer out. I did that because I kept catching calves but I have never had a deer in the trap. Also cover the floor of the trap with dirt. I usually try to use the dirt that they rooted around in. I also try to cover the bar at the front of the door under dirt.

Here is one of my sets and it's a lot like your trap.
Attached Images

Bazo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 10:48 AM   #26
hchntr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

I have a bucket feeder hanging above my trap. It throws every night. When Iím not there, i latch the door open so the pigs can go in and out to eat the corn. When Iím there, I unlatch the door and set the trap. I bait it with only corn, because thatís what they are used to. I usually will catch them in the first night or two. In my experience with other baits/attractants the hogs wonít come in for several days if at all, Iím guessing because itís a smell that they arenít used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hchntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 10:55 AM   #27
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgHntr10 View Post
I would go with a couple of figure 6 traps over that style. Not as mobile but you can catch more at once with them.
This,,,
made out of T-Post and cattle panel, tie it open and let them get used to it , then let the it close, they push there way in but cant get out....
it worked for us..
Chief Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 12:32 PM   #28
Shurshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio/Zavala county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynotdrum View Post

We do this sometimes, Its a lot of fun.
Shurshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 10:17 PM   #29
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Have the hogs going in the cage within 24 hours of baiting it. Went out yesterday to bait it one more time and will set it on Wednesday.

My question: will hunting them over the trap mess up the trapping? I’ve got 10+ pigs coming to the site all at once and would love to be there waiting with an AR.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:01 AM   #30
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Take the floor out!!!!
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 11:40 AM   #31
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

That trap will be bent to hell once you catch a group. Just FYI

Need to add a lot more reinforcements in all corners and the middle.

You won't catch 10 pigs in there I don't think
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 12:23 PM   #32
tmstuk
Eight Point

Hunt In: Milam County

Quote:
Have the hogs going in the cage within 24 hours of baiting it. Went out yesterday to bait it one more time and will set it on Wednesday.

My question: will hunting them over the trap mess up the trapping? Iíve got 10+ pigs coming to the site all at once and would love to be there waiting with an AR.
My sons hunt with the trap set. We've never had a problem. They have actually watched pigs get trapped and we have also caught pigs the same night we hunted over it.
We have a feeder over the trap that slings corn everywhere but we take a 1 gallon ziplock bag with us when we hunt it and pour it out in a line from the trap toward the direction of the blind.
Don't try to shoot them on the other side of the trap with a bow!!!!
Good luck!
tmstuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #33
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
That trap will be bent to hell once you catch a group. Just FYI

Need to add a lot more reinforcements in all corners and the middle.

You won't catch 10 pigs in there I don't think
Yes, I know, I wonít likely catch more than 3. Thatís why I want to hunt over it.

I reinforced the the trap with tposts and ubolts.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #34
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmstuk View Post
My sons hunt with the trap set. We've never had a problem. They have actually watched pigs get trapped and we have also caught pigs the same night we hunted over it.
We have a feeder over the trap that slings corn everywhere but we take a 1 gallon ziplock bag with us when we hunt it and pour it out in a line from the trap toward the direction of the blind.
Don't try to shoot them on the other side of the trap with a bow!!!!
Good luck!
This is encouraging. I may hunt over it tomorrow right after I set it. Pigs are coming in heavy, constantly.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #35
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Do y'all worry about eating the pork after they've been eating the diesel corn at all?
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 02:32 PM   #36
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Use a game camera so you can see what and if they are coming into the trap.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 02:53 PM   #37
Davik
Ten Point

Hang a piece of burlap over your door about 2/3 of the way...when the non hogs hit it, they'll back off soak the burlap in mineral oil andvhog urine, and the hogs will walk right through it
Davik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #38
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Had 3 sows and 1 boar in it this morning. Canít get pics to load but will when I get better service.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #39
Shurshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio/Zavala county

nice!
Shurshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #40
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Cant get pics to load. Caught a boar this morning. 5 pigs in 2 days.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #41
tmstuk
Eight Point

Hunt In: Milam County

Quote:
Cant get pics to load. Caught a boar this morning. 5 pigs in 2 days.
Awesome job!!!!! Our feeder ran out of corn last week. We filled it over the weekend and are headed back up tonight. Should have a few by Sunday.
Did you hunt over it?
tmstuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2018, 09:48 AM   #42
Hooverfb
Eight Point

Awesome. I just put out a trap last weekend, was thinking of waiting 3 weeks, but maybe I'll set it this weekend or next. Got one from tractor supply with the root style doors, good price for how sturdy it is.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top