Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slinging at Cactus

Well,
    My first time out with a bow in a long, long time didn't go that great. Shot one pig a little high. Thought it was a great hit, but we never could find him..
    Then went after some javi's. That was a complete disaster.. i shot more rocks and cactus than I did Javi's.
    Guess it is time to get serious about it and start doing some major practicing with the art of spot and stalk. Great time though with a great group of guys in South Texas..

Learning to judge distance can be tough. But you can do it in every day life. Just work at it. Take a guess at a light pole or fire hydrant etc. Take a guess and then pace it out or use a range finder to see how you did. I remember well the day I got my first range finder. You know the one you look through and dialed the two images into one?
    Hunting at a known distance to a feeder spoils us.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thats where I got my screen name. Use to shoot cactus before I left my stand for practice.

Comment

Yea, just lots of practice and I am going to invest in a good range finder as well.

Comment

Originally posted by odessahunter View Post
          Well,
          My first time out with a bow in a long, long time didn't go that great. Shot one pig a little high. Thought it was a great hit, but we never could find him..
          Then went after some javi's. That was a complete disaster.. i shot more rocks and cactus than I did Javi's.
          Guess it is time to get serious about it and start doing some major practicing with the art of spot and stalk. Great time though with a great group of guys in South Texas..
          Maybe if you were taller then the cactus you might be able to shoot over them. Just sayin

Comment

3D

If you want to practice your range estimation, you should come to our fun shoot this weekend. We'll be shooting both Saturday and Sunday on the South end of Dixie.

Pablo

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
              If you want to practice your range estimation, you should come to our fun shoot this weekend. We'll be shooting both Saturday and Sunday on the South end of Dixie.

Pablo
              Got the email about it.. Just not sure i can get out this weekend with prior engagements going on.

Comment

My son and I used to practice together. Friendly competition. After working out on the block or bag targets at known distances we would use tennis balls thrown at very random ranges anywhere from 7 to 60 yds. With enough practice like this you will get pretty good at distances.

Comment

Working...
                X