darned sparrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

darned sparrows

how do i get rid of these winged rats. i'm really looking for chemical warfare results. tried shooting them with bb guns, after a while they haul butt when they see you. tried making poison for them and they refuse to eat it.

so what do youa'll use to control these little bastages.

i love birds and have multiple feeders out for them, but these pirates have run off all of the songbirds.

want them gone!!

Owl or Hawk decoy. Get them at Tractor Supply

Comment

Bigger feed? Sun flowers or whole corn.

Comment

well let me rephrase this, it's not that i don't want to feed them.
        they sit around and crap on everything in sight; my pool cover is just coverd in bird crap, they get into my boat barn and crap all over my boat.

i just want to kill 'em all.....somehow

Comment

Mouse traps baited with pecans. Beer drinker's entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by CWKATTNER View Post
            Mouse traps baited with pecans. Beer drinker's entertainment.
            this sounds intresting!

Comment

Check out a company called Gemplers, they cater a lot to the nursery Agri ind. You can buy some gel that you put out and it burns birds feet, they have all types of remedies for rid pest,i believe they are out of Wisc. also try hanging some rubber snakes around or get you a pressure hose and blast them

Comment

Repeating Sparrow traps. Used them when I had martin houses.

I also used a pellet gun for the smart ones.

Comment

Originally posted by ted_kennedys_liver View Post
                  Repeating Sparrow traps. Used them when I had martin houses.

I also used a pellet gun for the smart ones.
                  yep, i have used pellet gun also, but after you pop a few they haul butt when they see you.
                  took a .410 and just shot up into an oak tree where they flew and knocked 4 of 'em out. but .410 is pretty expensive sparrow control.

Comment

[QUOTE=ted_kennedys_liver;9419009]Repeating Sparrow traps. Used them when I had martin houses.

x2

Comment

I don't have the answer, I've trapped and shot them since I got my first B-B gun,I would guess the total would get into the tens of thousands, still haven't made a dent. I know the extension service will use poison for cities when birds get bad enough to be declared a health hazard, but I don't know what they use or how. You can build a trap out of 1/2 hardware cloth, 2' square, put 1 1/2" X6" long entry tubes, midway on each side, put a door on top so you can get in and out, place trap under your bird feeder. Who knows you may get lucky and make a dent in them.

Comment

I picked up one of these at a local flea market for $3. It works great. Sparrow traps are pretty easy to build as well. Look online for plans.
                        Attached Files

Comment

A truly effective repeating sparrow and starling trap at an affordable price! Bluebird and Purple Martin ‘landlords’ are singing the praises of these traps.

Comment

Yup a sparrow trap. Once you catch one or two you can use them as decoys in the center holding cell and reset the trap. I've caught up to 10 in a day with mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                              Yup a sparrow trap. Once you catch one or two you can use them as decoys in the center holding cell and reset the trap. I've caught up to 10 in a day with mine.
                              Yes sir. My record was 16 in one trap - other than that fluke it generally averaged 6 or 7. Always saved one or two for decoys.

Comment

Working...
                              X