No announcement yet.

GASTRO BYPASS..Who has had it done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd commit to diet, exercise and a lifestyle change before I went and reengineered my anatomy.

Comment

I've known a few who have had this done. Living in the RGV all your life does that I guess. I lost my best friend a year after he had this done, due to liver issues the doctors didn't catch beforehand, but should have. His nephew had it done, lost a bunch of weight, but has put a lot of it back on. A girl I know had it done, several years ago and still looks great. Same is true for a friend I hunted with for a couple years. If you get it, just make sure the doctors are very thorough in all their pre-evaluations before getting it.

Comment

I have had the lap band done about 7 yrs ago. I have no regrets. I have kept the weight off and I feel a lot better not only health but mentally also.

Comment

I am interested in the bypass, not the lap band. My brother did the band first then the bypass later and he has had good results with the bypass. Thanks for the comments and experiences please keep them coming.

Comment

Well I got a date with the table on 3/26, going with the bypass. I feel strongly enough to follow through with it. IF any else has had the RNY please chime in.

Comment

Good luck to you.

Comment

Here is a link to my thread. Im down 95lbs in 8 months. Best disision I ever made.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Yep, know a lady that had the RNY... lost more weight than she weighed when she hit her minimum weight... after about 10 years, has gained about half of it back... Main drawbacks are because of the nature of this surgery, you are limited in oral medications for other things (something as simple as taking vitamin supplements), if you don't follow the diet, you're subject to almost immediate violent projected vomiting... Biggest thing she did to defeat the effects of the surgery was she didn't stop carbonated soft drinks. She switched to "diet" sodas... trouble is the carbonation causes the tiny stomach pouch to expand and stretch as the gas is released after being injested... it made her stomach bigger, so she ate more...
                  You'll be a new person if you follow the rules and change your eating habits/lifestyle. God Speed in this life changing procedure!

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

My sister before

And my sister last week. about 3 years later.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Not trying to scare you but I had a co-worker die from complications about 3 months after her procedure. Very sad deal. Also had another co-worker that had it and could not eat anything other than chocolate without getting super sick. She always looked bad. Just do your research on the docs and possible side effects before you go that route!

Comment

I know of at least 8 people who had the gastric by pass or lap band surgery. All lost weight and some have put most of the weight back on. Some get sick after eating. One had a bleeding ulcer at the location of the incision on the stomach. She lost so much blood she had to be given blood. This happen 2 times to this lady. Don't forget to ask about all the supplements and shot that you will have to take . Then there is the change in bowel movements.
                          If it was me I wouldn't do it. I know 3 more people that had the surgery in Mexico 2 did great and one had problems ( she had to spend 3 weeks in the hospital once back in the States). Then having trouble getting a doctor to accept her as a patient here. Since the surgery was done in Mexico.

Comment

Well I had the surgery and there are some draw backs. Gastric leak, bleeding, malabsorption issues, not having high blood pressure, not a diabetic anymore (if you are a type II), decreasing risk of brain or heart attack. I have been a Registered Nurse for 20 and have seen every bad complications for any surgery you can have. They will straight out tell you that you can die. I had my gastric sleeve surgery 6 years ago this May and there have been a couple of hitches. 9 days post surgery I had a gastric leak. At the top of stomach where the esophagus goes into stomach is weak and some times develop a hole. It F****** sucked. I was at my surgeon within 2 hours of onset of symptoms and within 12 hours had 3 drains and a feeding tube place. My stomach looked like the "borg" off Star Trek. get ready for this, i couldn't eat for 12 weeks. You get use to it. Only 5% of all gastric surgeries have bad complications. Of that 5%, 90% go home and eat like the never had the surgery and rupture their incisions. Last year 79,000 people died from diabetes, 140,000 died from strokes, 630,000 people from cardiac issues, and mortality rate for gastric procedures are 0.08% or 1 fatality in every 1000 surgeries. When peoples tum tums hurt they let you know. I'm not minimizing any of this. It almost killed me. But I was hypertensive and pre diabetic and couldn't find a **** thing to wear in 3x. I have had some gallbladder issues and tomorrow I have to have the sphincters, round muscle that keeps food in your stomach, dilated because scaring has caused it to constrict and make it where any solid food to pass. Sucks but having a stroke or dying before I was 50 I would think would suck worse. just my personal opinion. Ask lots of questions. Write down a list. Straight out ask how many deaths whatever surgeon you plan to go has has had. If he or she doesn't want to answer go elsewhere. Every doctor in this world (medical doctor) has his or hers own personal grave yard. That means that by action or lack there of action has caused someone to die. Don't let any doctor ever tell you otherwise, if they do they are lying and walk out. This is not easy and you have to change the way you eat and live. People develop bad habits such has low volume or mass with high caloric content, ie; fruit loop, peanut mm's if ya get the gist. So knowing all of this would I do it again? HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the Gastric Sleeve. That is where they cut off 80% of your stomach and make a "sleeve" that is picture banana. This is a non reversible procedure. It is cut out and gone.
                            -gastic bypass: This is where they your esophagus and top part of stomach and move down to lower part of stomach called the jejunum. It can be reversed and a lot of people develop "dumping syndrome" when they eat lots of sugar. This can suck.
                            -banding: do not waste your time. You have to have fluid continually put in and out to adjust band. Like once a month. So for like 2 to 3 days after this you feel like you had the surgery all over. Do not waste your time.
                            -ballon in your belly: not sure what this is called but it is retarded. They put a grapefruit size balloon in your stomach. That would be horrible.

Lots of people have relationship problems to. High rate of divorce after surgery.

Get it get healthy.

Comment

i didn't cite any of the numbers i just googled it.

Comment

I had Lap Band surgery 12 years ago and went from 375 to about 240 within a year. Last year the band slipped and I hand to have it taken out. When they took it out I had the Gastric Sleeve put in and I absolutely love the sleeve. I can eat just about anything I want but very small portions. The band limits certain foods. I am now between 205 and 210. Fill free to PM me if you would like to talk about it. Good luck Roy

Comment

Working...
                                X