Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to smoke a whole backstrap????

Anybody have tips, times and temps?

I'm wanting it to be medium rare on the inside.....I'll coat it in olive oil and then a rub.
    Last edited by Jmh05; 08-31-2019, 02:37 PM. Reason: autocorrect

It’s gonna be real tough! LOL Looks like autocorrect got you!

I have done halves reverse seared and they were great! I smoked low, I don’t remember what temp but probably 200 or 225, pulled them at internal temp of 115 and seared quick and super hot. Kosher salt and coarse ground pepper.You are right on not wanting to cook them too much.
    Last edited by Cantcatch5; 08-31-2019, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
      It’s gonna be real tough! LOL Looks like autocorrect got you!

I have done halves reverse seared and they were great! I smoked low, I don’t remember what temp but probably 200 or 225, pulled them at internal temp of 115 and seared quick and super hot. Kosher salt and coarse ground pepper.You are right on not wanting to cook them too much.
      Fixed the autocorrect. Yes, I can smoke it at 225 and have internal temperature monitors. I'll shoot for the 115 internal then reverse sear.

I was considering wrapping it in bacon or stuffing it with seafood.

Comment

Cantcatch is spot on. Monitoring internal temp is key. I've smoked them on my pellet grill at 180-200* until I reach 110-115 internal, then sear. Olive oil, salt and pepper prior to smoke. I also take the thin end of the backstrap, and fold in under itself then pin with a toothpick to keep that side from overcooking. Always turns out great.

Comment

I like to wrap with bacon. It helps keep the moisture in. As you probably already know, it can dry out really quickly if you're not careful. As soon as I get a light char on the bacon, I then wrap with HEAVY duty foil and put it back. That seems to help keep it moist, and allows it to become tender.
          Also, a secret I have learned is that if you inject with apple juice (before you wrap with bacon), it helps the meat stay moist and the apple juice has natural enzymes that help tenderize the meat. The apple juice adds no noticeable flavor, that I have ever noticed.

Comment

Jeremy here is what I done. This is Axis backstrap, I cut most of the silver skin and fat off. Seasoned with Chupacabra Rub, and wrapped in homemade thick sliced bacon.
            Last edited by Radar; 01-10-2020, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Smoked at 170 for 2 hours. Then wrapped and finished out to internal temp of 155. I let it sit for another hour. The small ends were a little dry but the rest was perfect with a small smoke ring.

Comment

[ATTACH]970430[/ATTACH]

Grilled some veggies, japs and onion to go with it.

Comment

My wife dont like rare, so its gotta be medium well. You can back off the heat time and take it off at 140.

Comment

Radar, cBlackall, moondog and cantcatch5. Thank y'all. I'll give it a go tomorrow on the pellet smoker.

This will be my first attempt with the backstop. I've only used my pellet smoker once since getting it. Did some ribs that came out great.

Comment

Like any cooking, it's about experimenting. Give it your own twist and find out what works for you.
                      Good Luck!!

Radar, That looks good!

Comment

Here we go gentlemen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

225’ for two hours or 120’ internal temp. I sprayed with pineappleorange juice every 30 mins. Then seared at 550 for 3mins per side.

The most tender deer meat [emoji491] think I’ve had. It melted apart.

Comment

Congrats Jmh05! That looks larrupin'!

I don't think you really had a question, I think you're "just showin' off", LOL!!

I cooked a brisket and ribs for the family yesterday, but you're making me hungry all over again.

Comment

Working...
                              X