DIY Hunting Saddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
    That’s pretty cool. How long can you sit in one before it becomes uncomfortable.
    Eternity

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
      That’s pretty cool. How long can you sit in one before it becomes uncomfortable.

I did a 9 hour sit in a modified sit drag on Monday...

Once you figure out how to adjust for comfort... they are unbeatable!

TBH is starting to feel like saddlehunter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
        I did a 9 hour sit in a modified sit drag on Monday...

Once you figure out how to adjust for comfort... they are unbeatable!

TBH is starting to feel like saddlehunter!

I have been browsing SH a lot lately. I am finishing up a Kestrel clone right now based on the plans on SH. I will try both this weekend but I'm liking the Kestrel clone more and more. I'll repurpose this one as a back support or something. I'll have about $10 in making the New one since all of the other hardware is interchangeable.

I've got screw in steps for this first weekend but I'm trying to figure out a platform on the cheap. Any suggestions?

Comment

I used the seat from my lone wolf alpha 2, a tube of aluminum, a versa button, and 2 standoffs.

My favorite, though, is the EZKut bolt system with grade 8 bolts. I recently got carbon fiber rod to replace the bolts, but haven’t gotten to use it yet.

Comment

I “built” a sit drag setup this year too.......well most of it I bought and put together since I don’t have a sewing machine. My setup weighs right at 4 lb. plus two sticks with tubular webbing extensions.

What kind of sewing machine are y’all using to build your setups and how cheap can I get a sewing machine for?

Comment

Just finished. Took about 3 hours. Really quite simple when following a pattern. It’s way better than version 1.0.

Comment

Originally posted by jdunn6092 View Post
                I “built” a sit drag setup this year too.......well most of it I bought and put together since I don’t have a sewing machine. My setup weighs right at 4 lb. plus two sticks with tubular webbing extensions.

What kind of sewing machine are y’all using to build your setups and how cheap can I get a sewing machine for?

I’m using a Walmart special. It was $90. I’ve really only been using a few stitches but it has 37. Its limited is three layers of webbing or two layers of webbing and two layers of fabric. I was going to try to put a camo edge around the saddle to reinforce the hems that are already there but it just wouldn’t punch through everything. No camo edging for me.

Comment

you've got my attention. how do you stay so comfortable, it seems as if your legs would get tired. like leaning up against a wall standing up for hours. what am I missing. im all ears because I really like the idea of being that light and mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                    you've got my attention. how do you stay so comfortable, it seems as if your legs would get tired. like leaning up against a wall standing up for hours. what am I missing. im all ears because I really like the idea of being that light and mobile.

Just finished my first hunt in the saddle. Unlike leaning on a wall, you aren’t supporting the majority of your weight with your legs. The saddle is supporting your body and your legs are simply stabilizing you and maneuvering you around the tree. I was extremely comfortable in a full sit and and in a lean. I’ll be hunting the same setup in the morning.

Comment

Mid-season update:

A platform is a critical piece of equipment when you are saddle hunting. I took the seat off of my lock on stand as a make-shift platform and it works beautifully.

Having the platform greatly increased my comfort and mobility in the tree.

Comment

Digging it.

Comment

nice job

Comment

I see you are in Pearland. I've been trying to get my son to try one out, but he just can't see how it would be comfortable. Would you be up to letting someone give it a test run in the back yard?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                              I see you are in Pearland. I've been trying to get my son to try one out, but he just can't see how it would be comfortable. Would you be up to letting someone give it a test run in the back yard?

Absolutely

Comment

I took a young 8-point with my diy modified sit drag a couple weeks ago. He came in directly downwind of me, thanks to rising thermals he didn’t bust me. I would have never gotten the shot without the ability to walk around the tree. I had to let out almost a foot of extra rope to walk around the big oak trunk I was hanging from to. Can’t do that in a hang on!

Comment

Working...
                                X