Potential new bow. Need expert help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential new bow. Need expert help.

So, I ran across a guy selling a bow today. He says its a Bear Bearcat Take-Down recurve. He also said it was made in the 90's? Any of the Bear Gurus have any info on such a bow. I've done some searching online and came up with nothing. I didn't know that Bearcats were take-downs. Also, I thought the Bearcat was made in the mid to late 60's and into the 70's. On the other hand, I'm a newbie, so what do I know lol! He is supposed to send me pics this evening including draw weight, length, etc. Then we will discuss a price, I assume. Thanks

-Gabe

*Update* He just sent a text saying that it is a 60 with #45 draw weight. Pics should be inbound soon.

Comment

Gabe, have you seen the bow? I've seen the little magnesium handled bows with the limbs that "pop" into the limb pocket and held there by friction called Bearcat takedowns. Don't know that is really what it is, kinda like the 76ers. However those bows were built back in the early 70s. Now that I have mudded the water and shown that I don't know, I'll retreat!!

Comment

LOL Thanks Larry! I have actually heard of what you're describing, I didn't know what they were called, though. A friend of mine has one of those take-downs and I always thought it was interesting. I have not seen it. He is supposed to send pics. I'll post them up when I get them

Comment

Okay. These are the pics I got from him. Pics have to be from a cell phone because the pics are pretty crumby, unfortunately. Wondering if I should even buy it on these pics alone.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by feralswine; 08-23-2012, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Sorry, just looked close at the title of this thread, you were wanting "expert" info, my bad for posting!lol I can't really tell if the limbs are bolted on or what. I know I have to be wrong, but in that last pic, it really looks like the lower limb is split. Is it priced fairly reasonably?

Comment

That's funny you said that, I thought the same thing when I saw the pic. It's just light underneath the limb. He just said "make an offer". I hate to low ball him but I don't have much to go on. I just saw that he posted it for sale online and figure id entertain him and see if I could get a good deal. Not even sure how much to offer him. I don't think he knows much about it himself.

Comment

Start at 150$ and see what he says. I would ask about twisted limbs though.

Comment

I have 2 of the old Bearkat takedowns, but they're from a long time back. They were school bows. My brother and I bought them at a garage sale years ago. I thought they didn't make any since the 70's?

Yes, they should be 60" string, and were available in 2 or 3 different poundages.

The riser is a metal, and the limbs are wood. The limbs slip into pockets, there is no retainer screw or bolt holding them in.

Comment

Originally posted by Selfbowman View Post
                    Start at 150$ and see what he says. I would ask about twisted limbs though.
                    I appreciate the info and advice. I think I'm gonna end up passing on it. If he lived closer I would go take a look at it and make him an offer. From the brief conversation we had via text and his post I don't think he knows much about it. If any of y'all have any interest in it, its posted on texasguntrader.com

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                    I have 2 of the old Bearkat takedowns, but they're from a long time back. They were school bows. My brother and I bought them at a garage sale years ago. I thought they didn't make any since the 70's.
                    That is what I thought as well.

Comment

I would think $50 to $100 would be max for that design.

Comment

See what I know about price of old bows. I would think I was worth more than that and I am that old.LOL

Comment

I was thinking about offering him $100, but I didn't want to upset him if he thought it was worth more. Either way, he lived further than I wanted to drive. Gas alone would have cost me 50-60. If he would have had better pics, It would have been a different story. Evidently his email wouldn't send pics. Didn't feel comfortable enough to do a "blind sale". Oh well. Thanks again, guys.

Comment

Working...
                          X