Best value dehydrator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best value dehydrator?

I want to make jerky for the first time and need to buy a dehydrator. What's the best "value" out there? I don't need the cheapest but I don't want to spend money for the sake of spending it. What does everyone use?

I use the Cabelas branded Harvester Pro (can get it for $99 most of the time) and it works great for me. It comes with 5 trays, but I added a couple extra and run it with 7 trays, which ends up being enough room to dehydrate a full hind quarter of jerky at a time

Comment

Ditch the dehydrator and pick up a small smoker. Better flavor and opens more doors for sausage & snack sticks in the future. Plus othe bbq meats.

A Weber Smokey mountain is a good entry level one.

Comment

I was going to buy a dehydrator a few years ago, but was lucky to find my (gas) range was capable of being set for 150 degree temperature ("Warm" setting and drop the temperature setting down to 150 degrees). We dry the marinated deer meat on cookie cooling racks on top of a large cookie baking pan. We like our jerky a little bit on the moist side, so 2.5 hours at 150 degrees works great for us plus not having to buy another appliance.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo6 View Post
          Ditch the dehydrator and pick up a small smoker. Better flavor and opens more doors for sausage & snack sticks in the future. Plus othe bbq meats.

A Weber Smokey mountain is a good entry level one.
          Never tried it on a smoker. Any tips?

Comment

1/4 inch slices in the smoker with your choice of wood at 150 degrees for 4-5 hours depending on your level of doneness.

I use mesquite for extra smokeyness

Comment

Bought this one and worked like a champ!
              Our "New Digitally Controlled" unit! Top mounted fan eliminates liquids dripping into the heater chamber. Comes with 4 drying trays but expands to a giant 20 trays so you can dry large quantities all at once! 1000 watts of drying power means you can dry more, faster. Patented Converga-Flow® forces heated air down the exterior pressurized chamber, then horizontally across each individual tray, converging in the center, for fast, even and nutritious drying. No flavor mixing! No need for tray rotation.Fast, powerful fan! A quiet, 2,400-RPM motor and specially designed 4-1/2 inch fan mean faster, more nutritious drying. Four times faster than dryers which have no fan or motors.Adjustable thermostat! Different foods need different temperature settings. The adjustable 90-160° F digital control gives you the flexibility to get the best results.Vita-Save® Exterior! The opaque exterior blocks light to retain more of the food's nutrients and vitamins during the drying process. Click Here for Dehydrator Information Sheet

Used Smart's recommended Allegro marinade and will be ready to make another batch soon. This stuff is getting eaten pretty quick!

Comment

I have this one from academy, it works great. The reviews talk about the trays cracking, I have not had a problem with it and have used it many times. I guess some people are rough and don't take care of things well

Comment

Allegro and coarse black pepper and in the dehydrator. Can’t find easier.

Comment

Nesco gardenmaster 1000 watt is what I have. It came with 4 trays. I could fit 1 lb per tray at 1/8-1/4” thick.

Comment

I bought this one from Wal-Mart about 4-5 years ago and it works great. It's not as "cool" as some of the others as you can't manually set the temp but again it works and jerky comes out awesome.

I just rotate the trays every 1-1.5 hours.

Comment

If you have a convection oven, you could use that. Mine goes down to 170, but haven’t tried it yet. I used my pellet smoker and turned out really good.

No help on a dehydrator.

Comment

I have 2, one big and one small both Cabelas brand. Work really well.

Comment

Working...
                          X