No announcement yet.

Official Lake Whitney And Aquilla 2017-2018 Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe we can get a decent weekend after tomorrow.

Comment

I keep seeing the W lake level coming up with out any upstream water releases or rain run-off. It's a few inches at a time sometimes. But still... And I'm wondering how that is happening.

Edit: But at least it's holding kinda steady.
      Last edited by Texas Grown; 04-14-2018, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Just got my permit in the mail. Would like to go out to Whitney this weekend to scout for turkey. Anybody willing to help out a novice hunter?

Comment

I sure wish I was fishing instead of working today!

Comment

Originally posted by shea.mcphail View Post
            Just got my permit in the mail. Would like to go out to Whitney this weekend to scout for turkey. Anybody willing to help out a novice hunter?
            If I knew more about turkey hunting I would help ya out Shea. Cuz I was once there my self,wanting help and no one would help me. I didnt grow up hunting,so I just had to watch what others do on TV, YouTube and ask a few ppl that where willing to help with the process

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Then just wing it the rest of the way lol Still learning tho

Comment

Boots on the ground will help with the Novice feeling. It'e rewarding, but not easy. Good luck to you 84 and Shea.

Comment

It will be a nice reward for sure. Just sucks that folks talk a big game about the future of the sport. But when someone wants to learn they stop talking and go and hide. Ive seen it so much and its sad...really sad. Far to many people out there trying to cut funding for public lands, take our firearms and tell us that hunting is animal cruelty to be turning people away from the sport. Only because they just want to learn,want someone to show them how to do things the right way...But off my soap box now, and on to a bright note,I caught a fish today lol

Comment

The difficult part is just knowing where to start, but I agree that experience is the best teacher. Thankfully I received a response from an individual to give me some guidance. Now I need to get my butt out there and spend some time in the woods. My hunting buddy is moving to Kansas, so it looks like I’ll be going at it solo for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by shea.mcphail View Post
                      The difficult part is just knowing where to start, but I agree that experience is the best teacher. Thankfully I received a response from an individual to give me some guidance. Now I need to get my butt out there and spend some time in the woods. My hunting buddy is moving to Kansas, so it looks like I’ll be going at it solo for a while.
                      Id tell you where to go but the areas i hunt in don seem to have any birds. . And im out there all the time i can spare.

Comment

I have no more secret spots. They've all been overrun with people. So I don't even tell or suggest what units now. I've told a few in the past thinking I was helping. But the only thing I was helping was for more people to hunt the areas I do. I'm not opposed to bringing new hunters into the sport. But if I gave out info for everyone that asked, we'd have 3 times as many people on the lake than what we do now. And game, being it's currently only limited by state laws and not by ACE, would be shot out, as it's almost to that point now. There used to be some really good areas with a lot of game. Now, with the population and current laws on AR, most of those places are being shot out. The quality of deer has certainly declined with the hunter population increase. On the other hand, there is a whole lot less poaching going on there. I'm sorry yall may never get to know the way it used to be down there in certain places. Or it's history.

Like stated above, if you want to learn the ropes, get out and learn the land. There is no better educator than hands on experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                          I have no more secret spots. They've all been overrun with people. So I don't even tell or suggest what units now. I've told a few in the past thinking I was helping. But the only thing I was helping was for more people to hunt the areas I do. I'm not opposed to bringing new hunters into the sport. But if I gave out info for everyone that asked, we'd have 3 times as many people on the lake than what we do now. And game, being it's currently only limited by state laws and not by ACE, would be shot out, as it's almost to that point now. There used to be some really good areas with a lot of game. Now, with the population and current laws on AR, most of those places are being shot out. The quality of deer has certainly declined with the hunter population increase. On the other hand, there is a whole lot less poaching going on there. I'm sorry yall may never get to know the way it used to be down there in certain places. Or it's history.

Like stated above, if you want to learn the ropes, get out and learn the land. There is no better educator than hands on experience.
                          I understand to a point what your saying,but having someone there to say,this is what ur looking for,these kinda places are good,these places arent so good,even when nothing is in season. I am thankful that I had someone I worked with,point me in the right direction out there. He didnt show me where he hunted exactly,but if I needed help he was there to guide me my first couple times. That helpped a very lot,along with TV,YouTube and even people Ive meet in the parking lot. Then just going out and walking around exploring in the morning,in August and putting (shhh shhhh lol) a cam up for a week to see what came through there

Comment

Isn't saying "these places are good and these places arnt" kinda like telling someone where to go? Now imagine if I told everyone that has contacted me on that what would happen. Cause there are a lot more that ask via pm that are never seen. Multiply that by the number of years I've been down there and here on this sight. And how many people is that?
                            Your not the first to ask for help on where to go on public lands. And I've seen it ruin some places. And others besides my self get burned. So I just keep my mouth shut now on where to go.
                            Like I said, learning the land is the best thing you can do.

I didn't grow up in a hunting family. Had to learn it all on my own. But I have helped lots of others. Just that some of that help has led to a demise of the places I go.

Now, if I run into you out there and you want to ask me what something is, show me. And I might give you an answer pending what it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                              Isn't saying "these places are good and these places arnt" kinda like telling someone where to go? Now imagine if I told everyone that has contacted me on that what would happen. Cause there are a lot more that ask via pm that are never seen. Multiply that by the number of years I've been down there and here on this sight. And how many people is that?
                              Your not the first to ask for help on where to go on public lands. And I've seen it ruin some places. And others besides my self get burned. So I just keep my mouth shut now on where to go.
                              Like I said, learning the land is the best thing you can do.

I didn't grow up in a hunting family. Had to learn it all on my own. But I have helped lots of others. Just that some of that help has led to a demise of the places I go.

Now, if I run into you out there and you want to ask me what something is, show me. And I might give you an answer pending what it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
                              Not necessarily,your not giving away your secrets or spoiling your spot. You can go to a total diffrent unit than ya hunt on and point out areas that are areas where deer,turkey,hogs,dove roost,bed or feed. This is a good tree for a treestand,this tree isnt and why. However,I will agree to disagree about helping people be successful and not start a argument here. Ive just always been the type of person that,if the fish are biteing at Joe Pool,ill say,fish are biteing at Lynn Creek. I may not say exactly where Im catching them. I just want to see people be successful,not struggle and struggle to the point they give up on trying all together

Comment

My latest strategy: I might hunt one unit one day. Then go to a different one another.

So I see no point in telling anyone any longer about going to any unit (or creek). They all have game. They all have ways to getting that game. Strategy is more important than the place. And that only comes with experience and knowing when/where to employ it at a given moment. It's not something that can always be sitting in a back pocket. I seldom ever hunt one place more than two weeks max anymore. To many other people to stumble in and hunt the place after I put in the work. And I've had that happen in less that two weeks too. So I hop units and places now. I've put in to many long hard days, weeks, and years, learning a place to give out info anymore. Only to have someone else come along and say "he/she is not sharing/helping " when they don't want to put the work in on their own? Really ?

What I see is new folks coming along. And because they aren't successful, ask for a place to go. I do see why, as I was once new to it all. But I also have this question. Is that really hunting when they get the 411 on where to go? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe they feel that since they are new and might manage to score, they did it on they're own. And that's hunting. But did they really do it on they're own if they got 411 on where to go no matter how small or great that 411 was? That can be argued all day.

I'm sorry if you feel that because someone has not told you where to go there (unit, or a place in a unit, or what public land, ect), and you haven't been successful, that you would make an accusation about "not helping you out". When in reality, the suggestions of you getting out and learning things, and the land, your self, is of the biggest help your could get. Because you will learn more on your own that way than any other.

Public lands are the most challenging and toughest. Because most don't allow what private land dose when it comes to hunting. Took me 8 years of public before I kill my first bow deer. Gun was a little less. I've always hunted public because I could not afford a lease. Nor do I have family that has land to hunt. Most of my family were city folk and wouldn't have the first clue as how to even start. Nor do they have an interest in such, for the most part. I'm not even going to suggest an area to hunt if it means another 10 people "fishing the same creek". Ten more boats in a creek can be to much traffic. And because most folk don't want to fish alone, sooner or later, they will ask someone else to go with them. Then that person will ask another. And the chain of reactions continues till it gets crowded. I've seen it happen to many times with hunting, and fishing, too.

After a while, you'll find that a "unit" is really not as big as it may seem right now, since your new to it all.

Good luck to you. And may your knowledge of the outdoors continue to grow.
                                Last edited by Texas Grown; 04-20-2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X