Lufkin / Nacogdoches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
    Have you ever been to Lufkin in the summer? The humidity is a little different from your current location.
    I grew up about 30 miles from the coast in South Carolina. I know all there is to know about humidity.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Have you ever been to Lufkin in the summer? The humidity is a little different from your current location.
      Not much like a 100* day and a south wind in Nac to push the hot smell of the chicken shack and the purina plant across the town. I do not miss that

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
        Not much like a 100* day and a south wind in Nac to push the hot smell of the chicken shack and the purina plant across the town. I do not miss that
        About like a good south wind when it's 112* and you can't stay outside much longer than 20 minutes without getting sunburned, the inside of your truck tuning into 180* oven, and a slight south breeze blowing the smell of dairy across your house...

Las Cruces sucks, and I can't wait to leave.

Comment

Born and raised in Lufkin. It's not a place with a lot of professional opportunities. In my opinion, the housing market is expensive and limited on options for a (4) person family. A great place to grow up in the outdoors and a lot of things to learn from. I'm proud to be from Lufkin, but I have no desire to live there now. There's a lot of pride in the community and it bleeds purple and gold. Just like anything in life, you make the most of the situation.

Comment

Lufkin/Nac area is what you make it.
            I love it here.
            Deer lease is 20 minutes away
            Sam Rayburn is 20 min away.
            Lake Nacogdoches is 20 min away.
            Thousands of acres of National Forests are 20 min away.
            No shortage of hunting and fishing opportunities.
            Plenty of small towns around Lufkin if you have kids and favor a 1-3A school over a 5-6A school.
            There are definitely far worse places to live.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
              About like a good south wind when it's 112* and you can't stay outside much longer than 20 minutes without getting sunburned, the inside of your truck tuning into 180* oven, and a slight south breeze blowing the smell of dairy across your house...

Las Cruces sucks, and I can't wait to leave.

My BIL runs a huge feed lot in CA and has been working there the last 30+ years, when I go help with branding in the summer and we have those conditions he always stops and smells the air and says "love it, smells like money to me"

Comment

Originally posted by Hsbtgarcia View Post
                Lufkin/Nac area is what you make it.
                I love it here.
                Deer lease is 20 minutes away
                Sam Rayburn is 20 min away.
                Lake Nacogdoches is 20 min away.
                Thousands of acres of National Forests are 20 min away.
                No shortage of hunting and fishing opportunities.
                Plenty of small towns around Lufkin if you have kids and favor a 1-3A school over a 5-6A school.
                There are definitely far worse places to live.
                This is exactly how I was thinking.

Wife is in academia and I work in the Farm Credit system. What I meant by stars aligning would be a position for her opening at SFA and one for me at one of the Farm Credit branches in the area.

We also just had our first kid last year, and what you listed off there Hsbtgarcia is exactly why I want to live in a place like that. It's how I grew up and I want my son to be able to have the same opportunity to be a little boy out in the sticks that I did.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                  My BIL runs a huge feed lot in CA and has been working there the last 30+ years, when I go help with branding in the summer and we have those conditions he always stops and smells the air and says "love it, smells like money to me"
                  If I was making money off of it, I'd feel the same way. [emoji23]

Comment

HsbtGarcia hit the nail on the head. Lots to do in Lufkin if you like the outdoors/sports. Lufkin and Hudson School systems are still good. Pretty cheap to live. Limited professional opportunities but it sounds like your work opportunity is already there for you if you're moving there!

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                      I grew up about 30 miles from the coast in South Carolina. I know all there is to know about humidity.

You should be good then. I was born in Lufkin but it's hard for me to go back there during certain months as I have been in the desert to long.

Comment

You should be good then. I was born in Lufkin but it's hard for me to go back there during certain months as I have been in the desert to long.
                        What part of NM are you in?

Comment

Lived in Nac my whole life and my family has been here for 150+years. Great place to raise a family. I’d be glad to answer any of your questions about the area. My $.02....Nac>Lufkin.

I can help you find a home when you get here and I know the Farm Credit folks here...just sold them land for their new office. PM me if you have questions.

Comment

I was born/raised in Lufkin... Wife's family is in Nacogdoches, well actually Appleby northeast of Nacogdoches... She graduated from NHS, but went to Lufkin schools until she was a Sophomore... All my family is in Angelina and Cherokee counties... It's "home" for me and where my final resting place is when the Lord takes me home... Having said all that, I would not want to live there again... It is a great place to raise your kid(s) and has a strong community atmosphere... The weakness is the lack of professional/technical opportunities... It seems however that both you and your wife have good potentials for careers there... She should also check out Angelina College as an alternative to SFA too...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              I was born/raised in Lufkin... Wife's family is in Nacogdoches, well actually Appleby northeast of Nacogdoches... She graduated from NHS, but went to Lufkin schools until she was a Sophomore... All my family is in Angelina and Cherokee counties... It's "home" for me and where my final resting place is when the Lord takes me home... Having said all that, I would not want to live there again... It is a great place to raise your kid(s) and has a strong community atmosphere... The weakness is the lack of professional/technical opportunities... It seems however that both you and your wife have good potentials for careers there... She should also check out Angelina College as an alternative to SFA too...
                              She's in the Animal Science field, so unfortunately she has to be a little pickier about places. I wish she could have just been an Engrish major sometimes [emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by hardtner View Post
                                Lived in Nac my whole life and my family has been here for 150+years. Great place to raise a family. I’d be glad to answer any of your questions about the area. My $.02....Nac>Lufkin.

I can help you find a home when you get here and I know the Farm Credit folks here...just sold them land for their new office. PM me if you have questions.
                                Thank you sir. I might shoot you a PM with some questions.

Comment

Working...
                                X